PDA

View Full Version : Chivenor 1960's

puff m'call
26th Sep 2008, 08:25
Hi Ladies and Gents,
Could any let me know what Hunter squadrons were based at Chivenor when good old Billy Drake was CO. He was there from about late 1959 until he retired in 63.

Thanks in advance.

Puff

Tallsar
26th Sep 2008, 11:02
Hi
For sure there was 145 & 234 Sqns - maybe a third - can't help with that one.

Cheers

Mike Read
26th Sep 2008, 14:57
I joined 2 Sqn, aka 234 Reserve Sqn, in March 1963. When I arrived Billy Drake was still the Station Commander. However he had been summoned to Fighter Command HQ, and I was waiting in the adj's office for my welcome interview when a message came that the Anson in which he was returning was ordered to land anywhere but Chivenor. I believe it went to Andover. I subsequently learned that owing to an indiscretion when he "watered the fire" in the bar of The Three Tuns in Barnstaple he was asked to resign. His successor was Don Farrer. OC Flying was Mike Hobson, OC 2 Sqn was Bunny Warren and the flight commanders were Jim Brown and Whiskey Walker - later to become ACM Sir John Walker. 2 Sqn also ran the Target Towing Flight.

I returned there for another tour (my last) in Feb '68 by which time 79 Sqn ran the FR Course, the PAI Course, FAC courses, Wing Standards and TT Flight.

234 were our neighbours to the south and 145 beyond them.

puff m'call
3rd Oct 2008, 13:40
Thanks for the info gents.

I had dinner with Billy just a few weeks ago and that sounds just like him, all these years later and he's still got the devil in him!!

A lovely man and a true fighter pilot of his time.

Cheers
Puff.