PDA

View Full Version : Motorway Police.....the other side of the coin

Krystal n chips
26th Sep 2008, 05:10
Ahem,

We offered a variety of opinions last week about said plods....most of the criticism being justified IMHO......however....lets also be pragmatic here.

This is the other side of the coin is it not ?......now fair play to the bulk of those involved given the situation and what they were confronted with notably two candidates for the Darwin Awards who showed a "commendable" :yuk:determination to win such after all....:mad:....so I have to say that here, the Police did show themselves in a positive light....with one exception....and as we are pretty quick to condemn, it's only fair to praise as well..when warranted.

By the same token, if ever there was a case for reviewing the gene pool source the "pretend plods"..aka the H.A are acquired from, the programme also served to prove, yet again, what a waste of time,space,oxygen and money they are......IMHO :E

BBC NEWS | UK | Women dice with death on M6 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7636577.stm)

And then there's this

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Police car shot at during pursuit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7636962.stm)

Now lets be honest....with the exception of one of our cousin's who carries a mini arsenal in the glove compartment, can can conduct the London Symphony orchestra, and eats a McJunk with triple fries with a large latte.... all while driving.:p...most of us would not really fancy being the recipients of the above now would we?.....driving down Eccles New ..and, for that matter... Old Road is bad enough at the best of times...let alone with some :mad: shooting at you as well !.

Der absolute Hammer
26th Sep 2008, 05:30
But it is reasonable to expect that British police have guns.
Since British police institution have history of murder of suspects with multiple bullet holes, Menezes, Saunders,
firing guns at British police is justified self defence?

One9iner
26th Sep 2008, 08:45
:= cafreful !

Only a small number of the police are armed with guns in the UK. In no circumstance is it ever justified to carry a gun in my opinion. ( obviously unless you're going hunting for your dinner! )

ShyTorque
26th Sep 2008, 10:19
The two Swedish women wouldn't have been carried by air ambulance if I was flying it; a van with a cage would have been more appropriate. They were obviously deranged and a danger to others and themselves.

ChrisLKKB
26th Sep 2008, 10:36
In no circumstance is it ever justified to carry a gun in my opinion. The only reason to carry a gun is to shoot someone or something so unless you are subject attack from tigers or wild boar or need to shoot a lock open Hollywood style then there's no reason to carry a gun in a civilised society.

que the endless pprune gun debate dating back to prune's earliest recorded threads.....

Devlin Carnet
26th Sep 2008, 10:53
The best outcome would have seen them both decorate the central barrier in a nice burgundy colour.

BlueWolf
26th Sep 2008, 11:04
so unless you are subject attack from tigers or wild boar or need to shoot a lock open Hollywood style then there's no reason to carry a gun in a civilised society.

...or unless you have reason to believe everyone else may be carrying, in which case you may need to define "civilised society".

...or unless you're going hunting, and are allowed to do so in your particular jurisdiction.

...or unless you just want to, and are allowed to, once again, in your jurisdiction of residence, when it becomes your decision, and not that of some opinionated busibody or other.

I mean two of my firearms live permanently behind the back seat of my truck, they have fairly regular workouts at lunchtimes and sometimes other times, they're there if they're ever needed for anything else, which they haven't ever been, and yet I still think my society is reasonably civilised, in relative terms.

airborne_artist
26th Sep 2008, 15:37
The two Swedish women wouldn't have been carried by air ambulance if I was flying it

I think one of them had a pretty low GCS by the time she was in the air ambulance - she spent six weeks in hospital, according to the reporter. Hope we sent the Swedish govt. the bill for her.

I'd love to know what was behind their actions - a bad reaction to some dodgy narcotics, perhaps? One nutter, perhaps, but two? :( I felt very sorry for the trucker who hit the badly injured one - potentially a bad case of PTSD, entirely brought on by her.

Krystal n chips
26th Sep 2008, 17:04
Basil,

My thanks for that "mission statement"....it seems to have been produced in for implementation around 2004......and I note the bit about "improved communication to road users"etc :yuk:......which probably explains why the matrix signs are still so woefully inept at displaying factual information....the alleged intelligent human controlling them is basically too thick to be able to do the task......and then there's the "Road patrols".....:mad:

The whole organisation smacks of quango and "smoke and mirrors"....always has and always will.....the biggest impediment to free flowing traffic in the UK.

PaperTiger
26th Sep 2008, 17:38
what was behind their actions - a bad reaction to some dodgy narcotics, perhaps?Or just the usual reaction to Angel Dust ? Something obviously had their physiology mega-amped; to get clobbered by a car then jump up and fight takes a whole bunch of adrenalin or summat. Even the lorry-butter was still conscious :ooh:.

None of the above
26th Sep 2008, 19:37
Some context for the M6 incident:

One of two women knocked down while walking on a motorway has appeared in court.
The pair caused chaos on the M6 at Keele and the northbound carriageway was shut for more than four hours.
Yesterday, Swede Sabina Eriksson, aged 40 and currently living in Ireland, pleaded guilty to going on to the M6 motorway on Saturday. She also admitted assaulting a police officer.
The defendant and her sister were travelling by coach from Liverpool to London when they disembarked at Keele because neither of them were feeling very well.

Pedestrian hurt on M6 sentenced to a day in jail | Article from Sentinel, The (Stoke-on-Trent UK) | HighBeam Research (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-16462190.html)

A Woman who jumped from a bridge over the A50 after she allegedly stabbed a man to death has appeared in court in a wheelchair.
Sabina Ericksson, aged 40, of College Wood, Mallow, County Cork, is accused of the murder of 54-year-old Glen Hollinshead.
Mr Hollinshead was found dead at the rear of his home in Duke Street, Fenton, on ...

Stab accused in wheelchair | Article from Sentinel, The (Stoke-on-Trent UK) | HighBeam Research (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-17215173.html)

A WOMAN will appear in court this morning charged with the murder of Glen Hollinshead.
Sabina Eriksson, aged 40, of Mallow, County Cork, will be at North Staffordshire Magistrates' Court in Fenton, today.
The defendant was questioned and charged by Staffordshire Police after being released from hospital.
Mr Hollinshead, aged 54, was found behind his home in Duke Street, Fenton, on May 20 with a stab wound to his chest.
Police then received reports of a woman jumping from a bridge over the A50, sustaining two broken ankles and a fractured skull.

Woman, 40, on murder charge (http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Woman-40-murder-charge/article-322406-detail/article.html)

A WOMAN who jumped from a bridge over the A50 after she allegedly stabbed a man to death has appeared in court in a wheelchair.
Sabina Ericksson, aged 40, of College Wood, Mallow, County Cork, is accused of the murder of 54-year-old Glen Hollinshead.
Mr Hollinshead was found dead at the rear of his home in Duke Street, Fenton, on May 20 this year. Ericksson, who fractured her skull and both ankles, was brought into Stafford Crown Court in a wheelchair yesterday.
Stuart Muldoon, defending, said a psychiatric assessment of Ericksson would have to be made before any plea. Judge Mark Eades adjourned the case until November 21. Ericksson was remanded in custody.

Sabina Ericksson in court (http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Stab-accused-wheelchair/article-341915-detail/article.html)

merlinxx
26th Sep 2008, 20:44
Don't set foot in my Manor, you'll not find your 'anti plod' opinions welcomed here. Bahamian 'Old Bill' can't cope without UK Mainland assistance in all areas including finance & drugs! Plus you can't catch yer own drugies, that's why the RN is lurking.

maliyahsdad
26th Sep 2008, 20:57
none of the above,

so it appears she is accused of stabbing the guy the day after she appeared in court for the whole motorway thing! when she should have been in jail or some sort of asylum or back in sweden!

DX Wombat
26th Sep 2008, 21:46
One nutter, perhaps, but two?Entirely possible I'm afraid. The report mentions that they were twins and if they were identical then it is reasonable to expect them to have many things in common including a predisposition to the same illnesses. :(

west lakes
26th Sep 2008, 21:54
The previous history does explain why they were keen to escape from the police.

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2008, 22:04
The previous history does explain why they were keen to escape from the police.Do you know more? (The alleged stabbing occurred after the motorway incident I believe.)

Stockpicker
26th Sep 2008, 23:06
Wolfie can we pursue this?

You're the first person I've liked and respected who's wanted to make a case for civilians carrying firearms in a car on a day to day basis. You probably know I'm a target rifle shooter myself, but even when the regs were a lot more lax in the UK than they are now, I always felt uncomfortable travelling to competitions carrying guns and ammo. There was one very hairy time the vehicle broke down on the way home from a shoot, so there we were - on the hard shoulder with the whole team's guns and a few months' supply of rounds because we'd tied in a visit to the supplier with our trip to the match. :uhoh:

What would be the likelihood of you just voluntarily deciding to keep the guns in the lockup at home? I'm trying to turn the question on its head - not, why would you want to (I think that's pretty easy to cover!) but what would make you just decide against it? Without anyone browbeating or forcing you?

west lakes
26th Sep 2008, 23:11
G-CPTN

The alleged stabbing occurred after the motorway incident I believe

Note the date
Mr Hollinshead, aged 54, was found behind his home in Duke Street, Fenton, on May 20

None of the above
27th Sep 2008, 11:40
Sequence of events from the Swedish newspaper Expressen. (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expressen.se%2FNyheter%2F1.1313 894%2Fmotorvagstvillingen-haktad-for-knivmord&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=sv&tl=en)

(Translation by Google)

moosp
27th Sep 2008, 16:55
Thanks for the Google translation link. Gets the thing in the right order.

As an aside the translation is much better than I had expected, less Swedish Chef and more politician after a couple of cocktails.

So in a few years when we insert the Babel fish into our ears it will no doubt be a google fish.

Babel, Google, whatever...

None of the above
26th Nov 2009, 19:58
M6 dash woman jailed over killing. (BBC Link) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/8378063.stm)

tony draper
26th Nov 2009, 20:15
Why manslaughter? deliberately killing someone with a knife it is murder surely?
Manslaughter seems to be a charge being trundled out more and more recent,is this this American style plea bargaining arriving?,
"My client will plead guilty to manslaughter me Lud, so you can be off for your dinner in time without being delayed by a boring murder trial"
:rolleyes:
This "My client hears voices me Lud" defence is also wearing a bit thin now,but wait! the "I shot the Bank Guard because I was sleep walking and dreamt I was robbing a bank" defense has just hove into view.
:uhoh:

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2009, 21:31
and therefore the culpability of the defendant is low and therefore the sentence I have passed is designed to protect the public.

Okay, she's sick. But how the f:mad:ing blue blazes does that make the above statement logical?

She should be in a psychiatric hospital for a time commensurate with a killing while sane.

I'm uncertain, but I'd think that it should be compared with an unpremeditated murder.

Flash0710
2nd Dec 2009, 23:56
Are the BBC doing a " Rozzer of the Year "..........?

Here is Pc Pat's audition.....

YouTube - BBC Car wars - Police Volvo crashes....twice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCG4sieuUsE)

Luv

xxx

f