PDA

View Full Version : China invents time travel

pigboat
26th Sep 2008, 01:08
China boasted of space walk before the astronauts left the launch pad. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1061495/China-boasted-space-walk-mission-hours-astronauts-left-launch-pad.html) :D

con-pilot
26th Sep 2008, 01:17
Why does reinventing the wheel come to mind?

Now, if they have perfected time travel, I would like to know the next winning lottery numbers. :p

(I would love to have one of those modified four engine PBYs.)

Windy Militant
26th Sep 2008, 08:35
Don't knock it Mr Boat if the Chinese hadn't declared an interest in going to the Moon, the Kennedy space centre would be well on it's way to becoming a theme park. They may be riding the coat tails of the Space race but they have the will to do it and the money. Ignoring Velcro and Teflon the Moonshots did a hell of a lot for the American economy in terms of technical education the development of communications systems and manufacturing techniques. One imagines the Chinese are as usual taking the long view and hoping the same happens for them. As an aside I work with Ph D researchers and I meet a lot of Chinese studying Engineering, specifically materials and thermodynamics. I don't know what the uptake of engineering studies in America is, but here in Blighty it's a cause for concern, and while the students we have are bright and highly motivated they are few and far between. Science has become a dirty word and kids think it's nerdy and don't want to get involved, compare that to the sixties when science was cool.
At least with all the Meeja students we have here in the UK we'll be alright for making films about the new space race. ;)

fitliker
26th Sep 2008, 14:41
Perhaps they could go back in time and make a documentary about what happened to minorities during the culteral revolution,and what happened to minorities during the boxer rebellion :eek:

mr fish
26th Sep 2008, 15:01
and stop the famine where parents killed their own children for food.
funny that the cultural revolution was'nt represented " inthe form of dance" at the olympics ceremony.
god bless the PRC.
p.s. god help the rest of the world!!

Evening Star
26th Sep 2008, 20:18
... while the students we have are bright and highly motivated they are few and far between. Science has become a dirty word and kids think it's nerdy and don't want to get involved, compare that to the sixties when science was cool.
At least with all the Meeja students we have here in the UK we'll be alright for making films about the new space race. ;)

On Monday will face the next intake at the old Ivory Tower and WM, regrettably, think your summary of the situation is painfully accurate.:ouch::sad:

tony draper
26th Sep 2008, 20:45
Apart from showing the launch there don't seem to have been much else about it on the news,I suppose Spaceflight bores the man in the street now.:confused:

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2008, 20:57
About twenty-five years ago, I called my six-year old son to watch 'men walking in space' (extra-vehicular activity) on TV.
He declined the invitation as being 'no big deal' . . .

(Just checked - it would be 1984 and son would have been seven.)

pigboat
26th Sep 2008, 23:03
Ah but Mr. Militant, in the future when the Chinese claim to have landed on the moon, how will we know it wasn't filmed in a desert somewhere in Outer Mongolia? ;)

Connie I have a friend who says the best PB was the PBY-6. It had servo tabs on the flight controls. That Bird 4-engine jobbie must have been fun though. :ok:

con-pilot
26th Sep 2008, 23:21
Yeah, yeah, I know, thread drift. :p

Connie I have a friend who says the best PB was the PBY-6. It had servo tabs on the flight controls. That Bird 4-engine jobbie must have been fun though.

I had the pleasure to crawl all over a 4-engine bird in Albuquerque, New Mexico (KABQ) years ago that had just been delivered from the modification center. All I could say was, "What a machine!". Shoot, I could live the rest of my life on that aircraft. Heat and air, full kitchen, master bed room, full bathroom with shower, guest bunks, APU and with todays technology you could have full satellite access.

Okay, hum, back on thread, okay, hum, er.........................(Shoot, I sound like Obama don't I.)

Ah ha, I have it, thanks to Pigboat! :ok:

Ah but Mr. Militant, in the future when the Chinese claim to have landed on the moon, how will we know it wasn't filmed in a desert somewhere in Outer Mongolia?

The Chinese need to land near one of the US landing sites to prove that they and the US really landed on the moon, that would shut up the idiots. :D

(Then again probably not. :()

Wod
27th Sep 2008, 07:27
Please pardon the nostalgic thread drift.

G-CPTN, in '66 I travelled by bus from London to Khatmandu. Camped out in deserts of Jordan, Iraq and Iran, you could stare up at the glorious night sky and observe "the stars that moved", mainly on a rough South to North track as I recall.

We've lived through some magic times.

Teal
29th Sep 2008, 01:13
...I suppose Spaceflight bores the man in the street now.Something like this...

YouTube - Another boring space launch (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=umeAktBkHIM)

galaxy flyer
29th Sep 2008, 01:50
I believe it, while parts of China (Beijing) is years in the future, others parts are 19th Century. Two centuries in one country.

GF