PDA

View Full Version : Denial of service attacks

Mac the Knife
29th Jun 2001, 22:04
I just got this from my ISP - explains why PPRuNe was so slow recently.

Dear M-Web Member

During the course of the last few days you may have experienced intermittent problems with accessing international web sites, and sending e-mail overseas. The US-based organisation that provides a large portion of our international bandwidth has been the victim of a series of deliberate attacks on its systems, which have resulted in this ad-hoc degradation in service levels. Other Internet Service Providers in South Africa have also been affected by this problem.

Every effort is being made to address the situation in the United States and we expect our normal service levels to be restored shortly. We apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused you and thank you for your patience during this time.

Anyone know anything about these denial-of-service attacks?

mutt
30th Jun 2001, 07:25
Mac,

Dont know anything about this case, but take a look at www.grc.com (http://www.grc.com) for a very interesting report on the subject.

Mutt.

Evo7
3rd Jul 2001, 10:30
The grc.com articles are very good. Bit of a depressing update today about WinXP;

http://grc.com/dos/xpconference.htm

Take a look at

www.insecure.org (http://www.insecure.org)

for much more.

[This message has been edited by Evo7 (edited 03 July 2001).]

Springbokkie
3rd Jul 2001, 19:36
Yes Mac, I know about the DOS attacks with M-Web recently. Some childish 2 kiddies decided it was a fun idea to basically kill all the ZANET servers which run IRC (Internet Relay Chat) apparently because one of the kiddies did not get a job where "it" wanted to... Hence the attacks. All seems okay now tho. If you want more info, mail me.

Mac the Knife
4th Jul 2001, 23:47
Hmmm...rather disturbing..

Bokkie, sonder 'n adres ek kan jou nie email nie! Doos!

El Desperado
5th Jul 2001, 04:36
More disturbing is the fact that I found this topic interesting today, found a few web sites, downloaded some software and I can now do the same with no previous experience ! Taught myself cracking during a rainy afternoon with basically no effort involved.

See the PPrune hacked thread for details. It is now so easy to hack sites I'm surprised this hasn't been done before.

Evo7
5th Jul 2001, 10:53
El Desperado

Could you let me know where you went looking? E-mail is probably best. I'd like to teach myself a bit more about what's going on.

Cheers

Springbokkie
13th Jul 2001, 01:46
It's easy to learn, especially the back office programs, and there are so many people online who don't have a clue how to protect themselves... that they get caught. Teach yourself to protect yourself I say. :eek:

Captain Gidday
15th Jul 2001, 13:57
That would be 'Back Orifice' you would be meaning, would it not Springbokkie?

Springbokkie
16th Jul 2001, 20:23
Yes Capt. it would be, there are several other programs very similar to it BO is perhaps the most popular.

Mac: Click on the New Private Message and you can mail me... *clever don't you think* :D