PDA

View Full Version : FS2000.........crashes and Illegals

InFinRetirement
26th Apr 2000, 23:10
I know some have had p-roblems with FS2k and the problems that seem to rear up just when you are not expecting them. Me too! I was getting so I wasn't enjoying it much, but I knew that it must be problem with, well, whatever.

There have been serious problems with 'pop-up' Illegal notices concerning FS2k and invalid page faults - or other faults. It has affected me too and I wanted to get to the root of the problem. I wish I could say that I did it, but I didn't. It was a guy on the Avsim forum who suggested I spend some time on the MS 'Games' page, and in particular the Tech Support section.

The following is what I posted on www.avsim.com (http://www.avsim.com)

"Further down I got a great answer to the vexing question of these illegals like "FS2000 caused an invalid page fault".

And since I kept on getting them, even though all was well once. I re-installed three times but still got them - why? It was driving me mad. Seems the problem lies in the registry - with conflicting drivers. Seems the GAP twixt FS98 and FS2000 is really wide. Seems that SOME of these addons we keep downloading to get over the problem of compatibility between FS98 and FS2k are the very things that cause it. Seems like care is not only necessary it is VITAL.

There is in other words a real conflict. I found a beauty yesterday, and until I am absolutely certain I am not going to say what it was. I will however talk to the designer and see what he suggests.

Go to MS and look around. I did, and here is what I came up with. FIRST, un-install FS2k, then use Registry checker by re-booting / holding down CTL while it loads so that you can get 'Command Prompt Only' and click on that. Type in: <scanreg/fix> and press enter - the fix command tells the registry to repair any damage in the registry. When it finishes press ENTER and type: <scanreg/opt> and press ENTER - the opt command causes the registry to optimse the registry's unused space.

Then do a CLEAN BOOT: Here's how! Click Start then Run and type: <msconfig> and click OK - then under the GENERAL tab click 'Selective Startup' and UN-CHECK all the boxes and click OK, when prompted to restart do so.

NOW! Here is the peach (if, of course, you don't already know, but my guess is that not many will!) Re-Install FS2000 but NOT - repeat NOT - in the same folder you had it in before - it will INVITE you to, but you must ignore it. If you called it FlightSim2000 for example you must change it to something like Flight Simulator 2000. If you get my drift. To put FS2k back into the original folder WILL give you illegals again. I tried it and it is so.

So, when I started FS up again, it was just great. BUT...open Windows Explorer, go to the drive your sim is in and delete the ORIGINAL folder - this too is essential so that the stuff you took out to perhaps save, cannot go back to it and pick up its bad habits!

If this sounds like I know what I am talking about, it is only partially true. The bits I have tried above are all true and work. The method is MS's alone. Go to their GAMES site and look for technical support and FAQ's and you will see the one at the top.

I am really pleased about the result and I got RegClean.exe while I was there, also from Microsoft. Use it and I would like to see the suprise on your face when you see the pages of crap it finds.

Anyway, I thought you would like to know.

IFR

Bovingdon
27th Apr 2000, 02:22
See my earlier posts!!
Had loadsa hassles...
Only thing that worked was to reinstall Windows then FS2K. Now ALL OK!
Using a new folder name is a wise option too.
Happy Virtual flying!!