PDA

View Full Version : Question on CPL requriments?

komn
25th Sep 2008, 15:22
hi there I was wondering if someone could help, I currently have 60hrs, and was going to do 100 hrs to meet the 150 min, for CPl. I understand that you must have 200 hrs in order to apply for a CPL licence, of those 20 hrs must be vfr cross country, my question is can you use 20 of the 100 hrs hour building and do thoses x country hrs, or do they have to be done as part of a cpl course, like solo xcountrys?, and also if any one knows about the 300nm x country does this have to be done solo and do you have to have any papers signed at the two different airports at which you land?

any help would be great thank you.

crank1000
25th Sep 2008, 23:05
If you weren't emrolled in the 150hr course when you started, then you will have to do 200 hours. Don't know about the x country req's but you should go to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority website in Oz. Are you Aussie?

blah777blah
26th Sep 2008, 01:42
It depends if you are in Aust. or NZ.

If you are in NZ, the complete requirements are laid out pretty clearly on the CAA website. www.caa.govt.nz (http://www.caa.govt.nz) - search for AC61

komn
26th Sep 2008, 14:47
Hi thanks for your replys no im irish but i have caa ppl.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
26th Sep 2008, 16:45
Hey Komn,

Before I get started please click here (http://casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form090.pdf), print out page one and post it somewhere conspicuous (you'll want to refer to this page firstly for direction as it is THE ONLY important piece of paper and secondly as a source of motivation). I put it next to my C172 instrument panel poster (now well and truly folded away under some socks somewhere).

To answer simply, your 20 hours cross country can be part of the 100 hours.

Without getting into the nitty gritty details think of it this way, plenty of Private Pilots have happily flown around on their own business and then "found" that they have 200+ hours (including 100 PIC, 20 Xctry, 10 Instrument and 100 aeroplane). All they need to do is get recommended for a test and prove that their flying is oup to standard.

I am not an Instructor however as somebody who is always on the lookout for people trying to take my hard-earned money (it's not paranoia if they really are trying to get you) my advice would be to plot out your requirements (refer to page one of that document (http://casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form090.pdf)) and compare them to your actual hours; take this to a CFI or some senior instructor (a decision maker) and simply tell them that you want them to get you up to commercial standard in as little time as possible. Don't tell them how to do their jobs but let them know that you know what you do and do not need. It's not rude, it's just business and it's best that everyone's on the same page.

OK now the advice I would give any CPL student (with a PPL licence)... make your NAVS FUN! You've got to have 100 hours PIC (70 for the 150 hour course folks), get together with some other like-minded folks and fly together. If you've got two pilots who need to get 20 hours somehow, that's 20 extra hours in the right hand seat where you can play with all the gadgets you like and practice your navigating. (Why not have two navigators the PIC and the other pilot?)

I digress, sorry.

Best of luck. Do keep us up-to-date. Any questions (technical, career and especially salicious rumour type) feel free to post.

FRQ CB

PS I don't know if you need to convert your CAA PPL or if you can use a certificate of validity. I think that it depends on how long you think it will all take as a COV expires. You [U]may find that simply applying for an AUS Student Pilot Licence actually stops you from being able to use your CAA licence in a VH aeroplane.