PDA

View Full Version : Neotrace

squeakmail
26th Apr 2000, 07:48
With apologies to all of you who find this tremendously simple.....I've read the stuff on ZoneAlarm..and loaded it.

WOW!! I get numerous alerts every time I log on. Now, like so many others - I would like to know who is trying to get into my machine.

The response seems to be "NeoTrace"...but can you tell me IN ONE SYLLABLE WORDS what is it and how do I work it..I guess I GET it from the sites mentioned in other threads...but how do I work it?

(Please)

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

ExSimGuy
26th Apr 2000, 12:46
In words of one sylable -- !

Yes, get it from Neoworx site (www.neoworx.com) and it's dead simple (intuitive) to use. :)

The only thing is that I find it will usualy take you back to the ISP conection point of the "pinger", but it doesn't give you anything really useful like the email address of the "burger" that's pinging you so you can send him a nice email with "SODDOFF" (the name of a well known Russian) in 72-point bold-face magenta capital lettersand several attachments from your floppy disc with the label "viruses that I have loved to send"! :mad: :mad: :mad:

----------------------------------------

***SLF does it sitting at the back, cramped***

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 26 April 2000).]

MAX REVERSE
26th Apr 2000, 13:16
One problem. NeoTrace doesn't seem to work when you're running ZoneAlarm in high security mode, even if you enable auto access for ping and tracert. What you have to do is drop your security to medium while you're running NeoTrace, and then get your shields up again afterwards. Whether you're prepared to do that depends on your paranoia level.

Personally I've tired of tracing access attempts. What exactly are you going to do with the information? Just check your firewall logs for repeated attempts at different ports from the same IP address. In my experience, ISPs are not going to bother with calls along the lines of "Some guy has tried to access one of my ports" because otherwise they'd never get any other work done - it happens all the time. What they probably will deal with is a log showing systematic probing of your ports from a single address - and in that case they're perfectly capable of tracing the address themselves. Why not save yourself the hassle?

Sorry to put a dampener on your enthusiasm to catch these creeps, but it just seems you have to accept the occasional probe.

Incidentally, do you have a fixed IP address, or does it change every time you log on?

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th Apr 2000, 12:03
I´ve just got the book Hacking Exposed published by Osbourne and it is vey comprehensive. They have a companion website at www.hackingexposed.com (http://www.hackingexposed.com) which anyone can browse. You will find there a complete set of tools for tracing IP addresses. In addition they have a list of hundreds of useful websites for those interested in this side of the web. There are a great many freedownloads also listed.