PDA

View Full Version : NZ Herald: Plane crashes with two onboard (Translation: Plane has hard landing)

TwoTango
25th Sep 2008, 11:08
I think this takes the cake for the most ridiculous story yet about an air accident (or non accident as it would seem)

Plane crashes with two on board - 25 Sep 2008 - NZ Herald: New Zealand National news (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10534217)

3:00PM Thursday Sep 25, 2008
James Ihaka
Two people escaped injury when the light aircraft they were in went down near Raglan shortly after midday today.

The Cessna-type plane landed in relatively good shape in the middle of a sloping paddock with damage to one of its wheels.

The pilot and a woman, who said "there's no story here" before asking the Herald to leave her farm, suffered no injuries.

The pilot said the plane "got heavy" on him and the landing was planned.

A St John Ambulance spokeswoman said there were no injuries to the pair.

I think they missed the last paragraph: "This accident comes after a series of serious safety incidents with Qantas. Air safety investigators were not able to state if there was a link"

Anyway, watch out if you have a heavy landing - looks like they are now newsworthy in Kiwiland...

TT

Flying Binghi
25th Sep 2008, 11:28
The pilot and a woman

.....well, theres the problem - woman pilot :ooh:

Were any sheep hurt ? ... those Kiwi men worry about such things :E

framer
25th Sep 2008, 11:40
Two sheep were hurt ....but that was at a drinking session held later in the evening to celebrate their lucky escape.

AnyGivenSunday99
25th Sep 2008, 11:59
The pilot said the plane "got heavy" on him and the landing was planned.

Perhaps too much shark and tatties for lunch....:}

sms777
25th Sep 2008, 12:15
Naahhh.... You got it all wrong!

All the sheep were on board the plane . That explains the heavy landing.

mattathm
26th Sep 2008, 23:20
Flying Binghi you stupid dingo....:ugh:

does it say the woman was a pilot?

No, it said "The pilot and a woman"

get ya facts straight before dissing woman pilots and other countrys genital warmers :D

mattyj
27th Sep 2008, 03:38
...yeah and we don't keep our sheep in paddocks here..we keep them in our bedrooms where they belong..

idiot:}

hard_yakka
27th Sep 2008, 03:48
The "cessna type" airplane involved was actually a Murphy Maverick kit plane (ZK-SPC)
It had been built a 10 or so years back by a group of St Peter's College students (supervised by experienced engineers of course) as a school project. It was a tidy little machine and, by all reports, very pleasant to fly.
Apparently, the guy flying it was one of the students who was part of the original build team. He had grown up to become a commercial pilot and had purchased the machine for his own private use.
I was having a look at the damage this morning as it is on a trailer in a hangar at my local aerodrome. It looks like the undercarriage legs were broken off as the fuselage around the attach points is quite seriously creased and the wheels were not present. Hopefully it will be repaired and will get back into the air eventually.
Thankfully the only injuries were to pride.

Flying Binghi
27th Sep 2008, 04:32
No more Kiwi baiting, I promise :}

...a woman, who said "there's no story here" before asking the Herald to leave her farm

Must have been a quite day at the paper, eh :*

philipnz
27th Sep 2008, 04:46
Fly Te Kowhai - Aircraft (http://www.flytekowhai.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=22&Itemid=62)

built by the school and still used for training