PDA

View Full Version : Installation problems

confounded
28th Jun 2001, 02:05
I'm having problems installing VP2.
I used to have this programme on my computer but removed it due to the CD becoming damaged.
I have now purchased it for a second time but cannot install it.
1) I try to run the setup.exe but it gives an error message saying that the game is already on the computer (it definately isn't btw), and tells me to use add/remove programmes to remove.
2) I go to add/remove where 'Virtual Pool 2' is present but when I try to remove I get an error message saying "an error has occured, uninstall cancelled"

I have used First Aid 2000 to check the registry and have removed 3 incorrect references to VP2 but still the same errors.
I suspect that the problem lies in one of two places;
1) The fact that Virtual Pool 2 appears in the add/remove when it isn't even on the computer. How can I correct this?
2) There is another registry entry that First Aid didn't find.
These two could infact be the same thing.
Thanks in advance.
AS.
PS. The last thing I want to do is ring the infernal helpline and explain that lot.

Icarus
28th Jun 2001, 13:27
What method did you use for the un-installation?
1. Via the applications own uninstall program
2. Via Control Panel Add/Remove programs
3. Just delete the directory holding the application
This will usually help identify what is probably wrong, so let me know and I will come back with more.

confounded
28th Jun 2001, 15:02
I seem to think that I just deleted the folder.
I know that this is not the correct thing to do but the uninstall and add/remove would not work. "Error, Uninstall cancelled" or similar error message given.

Ps.I'm using Windows 95.

Icarus
1st Jul 2001, 12:28
The most likely cause then will be entries in the registry.
Use REGCLEAN to get rid of them, you can download the latest version from here:

http://www.chip-online.com/downloads_updates/downloads_updates_3052.html

Then try to install the product again.