PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Advice Needed

LUCKY-1
24th Sep 2008, 23:06
Folks, I have put off purchasing a Laptop to date but given the mobility of our calling I am at a point when I see a genuine need for one whilst away from home base. I mostly am after advice about an appropriate internet service or plan that suits a laptop whilst I am away, not having had to use one to date (Wireless?). Any sensible advice very welcome. Are there suitable compact printers available to print flight plans?

Regards

Lucky

BPH63
24th Sep 2008, 23:20
i have just got a Dell Mini 9 "netbook" (http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=au&l=en&s=dhs) (16Gb SDD) and use my Nokia N95 8gb as a modem on a Virgin Mobile 3g datapack ($10 / month for 300Mb) - it all works flawlessly -
but for better work coverage you would want NextG?

notmyC150v2
24th Sep 2008, 23:22
Our firm just got two new mobile phones from 3 Mobile and while we were discussing the plans with the sales guy he told us about their mobile internet plan.

For $49 per month you get this little usb stick thingy which contains an inbuilt modem. You plug it into your laptop and, voila, internet access with up to 3 gig of downloads per month no matter where you are.

Because I am travelling so much lately I am getting one for my new laptop, go Toshiba. The beauty of the system is though that as long as a computer has a usb port you can plug this baby in and you get your internet access without having to stuff around. Brilliant.

Have fun.

VH-XXX
24th Sep 2008, 23:26
Telstra Next-G would be the obvious choice for wireless. Optus second choice and perhaps the likes of 3 further down the list. Am very happy where I use Telstra's Next-G and have been doing so for quite a while now and it works well in remote locations verus the other companies.

If you're on a budget for a Laptop, JB Hifi (and Harvey Norman) have a full blown Compaq machine with 1 Gig Ram, 160 gb hdd, 15 inch widescreen and Vista for $488 at the moment. Purchased one for family member recently and couldn't be happier with it.

If you have a certain type of phone, say a Nokia N95 you can hook it up to a data plan and use it as a modem for your Laptop through Bluetooth, thus not requiring any dongles or similar for the laptop.

Perhaps a printer like this might suit:
Canon iP100 Portable A4 Printer, Battery, 9600dpi, 5 colour, 20/14 ppm (http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/29095_Canon_iP100_Portable_A4_Printer__Battery.aspx)

I've seen smaller but can't seem to find any for you.

If you don't want battery operated and you have a cigarette lighter with you, you can buy one of those power inverters from our friend Dick Smith's for around $60 and power / charge both the laptop and printer.

Keg
24th Sep 2008, 23:29
For a lap top, go the Macbook Air (http://www.apple.com/au/macbookair/) if you don't need heaps of memory or can back it up with a desk top at home. Otherwise one of the normal Macbooks would probably suit (smaller screen the better it is for portability) but you're doubling the weight to 2.27kg. The extra kg may not seem like much but it'll make a difference when you're lugging the thing around.

I agree with notmy152 regarding the 3 data plans. They're pretty good but coverage suffers in places like Darwin (nil) where you go roaming onto the Telstra network and that has implications for cost. It depends on your needs I guess.

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Sep 2008, 23:42
Telstra Next-G would be the obvious choice for wireless

Doesn't say much!

I am continually frustrated by the inability of my Next-G usb-modem to get a strong enough signal to function properly. I oftern have to use my phone as a modem. Don't understand why the Next-G phone works but the Next-G modem doesn't!

Can't comment on computers - I am spoilt! I have a Lenovo (IBM) T61 notebook for everyday use and a Mobile Computing LS800 tablet that I use for all of my flightplanning, weather, NAIPS etc and in the aeroplane!

Dr :8

PS: One piece of advice - install good anti-virus, anti-adware, anti-spyware, firewall software. I have just had a 3 day war with adware and trojan viruses on the LS800, one of which was disabling my anti-virus program. I won - but only just!

Socket
25th Sep 2008, 00:03
Isnt that where you put your secretary?:}

Sorry, couldnt help myself.:E

notmyC150v2
25th Sep 2008, 02:55
How's this for perfect timing. Here is a full review on mobile broadband providers.

SMH Review (http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/laptops/reviews/roadtest-broadband-providers/2008/09/23/1221935645016.html)

Big Beres
25th Sep 2008, 06:06
Get a MacBook - Need I say more:ok:

Apple Store (Australia) - Welcome to the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/au)

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Sep 2008, 06:27
Get a MacBook

To go with your Betamax and your Leyland P76 !

Dr :E

sprocket check
25th Sep 2008, 06:56
To go with your Betamax and your Leyland P76 !

Ahhh, doc, ummm, get with the times. Macbook Pro, way to go. MacOSX-no viruses, trojans, etc. I have been glued to the net for years without a single problem, no firewall or AV to slow me down or stupid dialog boxes popping up. All the software you run I either run or can run. Dual boot system with WinXP on a separate partition-only cause it's not quite the dog Vista is.

And if I don't feel like cold booting into windoze, I just run it under emulation. Takes 30 seconds to boot, including NAIPS and FMS launched. With my Unix bank quality firewall. Built in. Now, where was that you tube video of Heathrow approach on XP?

How long did it take you to JUST manage to save your LS800? I have better things to do. 3 days....

Mac is simply better, for Windows too, if you have to.
Just my opinion, of course.

VH-XXX
25th Sep 2008, 07:30
I assumed that being on a Pilot forum, the poster had no money, so I naturally suggested a $488 Compaq, but sure, it you have a spare $2.5k and a lot of spare time on your hand and spare cash for legal software because NOBODY you know owns a Macintosh to get it from, then the MacBook air is for you!

Hasselhof
25th Sep 2008, 07:38
Pirating software is so passe. Open source is the answer. And get a Mac, you (probably) won't regret it. At the very least downgrade Vista to XP.

sprocket check
25th Sep 2008, 07:46
Sorry about the earlier rant, to answer your questions better, portable printers are rarely all that portable and quite expensive. It is also difficult to find one that runs on batteries.

Wireless internet-NextG, but check out 3 as well for their plans. They roam on NextG, it may be included in some of their plans. Optus is not so great.

povopilot
25th Sep 2008, 07:58
LUCKY-1, I can't help you with the laptop itself** but can offer a pretty valid opinion on the wireless broadband. NextG is the only way to go mate as the competition cannot offer anywhere near the coverage, speed and connection stability. There was an excellent review in APC magazine of all the providers and NextG was the clear winner - despite the high cost.

Don't worry about going on a contract with a separate device, if you are an existing Telstra customer just purchase a decent NextG handset and put a "Data Pack" on to your account and use the handset as a modem. $59 for 1 gig is reasonable and you dont have to worry about being stuck on a contract - Using a phone as a modem will also give you better coverage than the USB sticks that are available, as the DrKiller alluded to.

Give me a PM if you want to know details of good handsets etc.

povopilot............No i don't work for Telstra.

**Don't buy a frickin mac if you want your wireless broadband to work pain free.

P.s Dr, curious as to which wireless device you have and what type of phone you are using.

Massey058
25th Sep 2008, 08:30
I would suggest a macbook too especially with it being so light. I find it a hassle lugging my Compaq around all the time. However only get a macbook as a travel substitute to your primary machine, as a primary machine they have a number of limitations.

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Sep 2008, 08:57
P.s Dr, curious as to which wireless device you have and what type of phone you are using

My phone is a Nokia 6120c-1.
The modem is a Next G Turbo Modem - Model # USB3-8521

povopilot
25th Sep 2008, 09:17
DrKiller, The 6120 has the strongest reception out of any phone on the market and as you say it will crap on any of the dedicated data devices - it does lack the capability of an external antenna however. It also has reliability issues but is not a bad overall phone. There is also a firmware upgrade available for the 3 series usb modems that will give you extra speed.

It is soon to be released as a Pre-Paid in the $249-$299 range so could be a very good solution for LUCKY-1's query. E-Bay also a good place to pick up a cheap handset, just make sure that it picks up 850 MHz UMTS/WCDMA and can be used as a modem.

povo......Not meaning to start another FTDK inspired thread hi-jack.

Led Zep
25th Sep 2008, 09:54
Apple computers, bought by the unwitting who then need to recommend them to their friends because they are, "so good" in order to get rid of that nasty buyer's remorse. You know it's true. :E
Get a $500 Compaq (or similar). Just bought two C774TUs and they'll do everything a pilot needs to do (flight planning, DFT, etc) for 1/4 of the price of a mac book. :rolleyes:
If you can't find open source programs for windows, you're not trying hard enough!!! :ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Sep 2008, 09:55
......Not meaning to start another FTDK inspired thread hi-jack

Geez, whad' I do? I thought this thread was about puters and modems etc. I only answered a question that was asked!

Are there suitable compact printers available to print flight plans

I have used a Canon BJC80 for 10 years - carried it with me for printing flightplans etc. ....... and then it crapped itself!

So I have just bought a HP Officejet H470b portable printer. Great little machine - battery power and all - but an expensive little sucker - $489 from tricky Dickie!

TwoTango
25th Sep 2008, 10:09
**Don't buy a frickin mac if you want your wireless broadband to work pain free.

My NextG PC Card modem works perfectly well on my 5 year old PowerBook G4 - about the only problem I've had is that it sometimes requires me to restart the computer after bringing it out of sleep mode before it will recognise the modem. I think the trick is power off the card and eject it prior to sleeping the computer, but I haven't really bothered to sit down, go through the various permutations and come up with an answer of what works and doesn't work (in other words, it really hasn't bothered me at all, as anyone who is familiar with my pedantry for knowing how things work would attest).

TT

povopilot
25th Sep 2008, 10:33
Relax Forkhead i was just taking the piss. Maybe i should start using the smiley things as i guess sarcasm is a bit difficult to detect in writing!. Don't tell me you carry a bloody printer around in that Bo aswell?

TwoTango - as i said "If you want it to work pain free", the data cards are generally fine with macs these days, but using your mobile as a modem is still a pain in the buttocks.

povopilot.

Jabawocky
25th Sep 2008, 10:43
I am seriously thinking of one of the eeePC thingo's for my next mobile aircraft PC.

We are bench testing one at work at the moment and if it survives 6 months in the hands of the operator (2 months so far) I would then recomend everyone buy one!

J:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Sep 2008, 10:59
Don't tell me you carry a bloody printer around in that Bo aswell?

?? Doesn't everybody?

Dr :O

Chimbu chuckles
25th Sep 2008, 18:08
All those knocking Macs...I changed to a Powerbook G4 4+ years ago after using DOS based computers since PCs came on the market...long before windows when you had to actually be able to write in DOS to make the fecking thing work.

I will NEVER buy another windows/microsoft/IBM/whatever based computer again...PERIOD!!!!

Yes it was 4 or 5 times what you can get a compaq/dell etc for but you get what you pay for...and in my experience, and that of ALL my mates (except Forky and Jaba) that is utterly reliability and stability.

Trojans/viruses/anti virus software/blue screen of death?

A thing of the past. I left that aggravation behind when I bought the best computer I have owned in 20 years.

My last laptop was on life support by the time it was 4 years old. The G4 is still functioning as well as the first time I turned it on. The only thing I have been back to the Mac shop for in 4.5 years is a new battery.

There is a reason why people, like Journos, who require absolute reliability use apple.

Microsoft's market domination is a classic example of the market not always working the way it is supposed to in theory.

Microsoft Works - The 20th centuries greatest oxymoron.:ugh:

Capt Claret
25th Sep 2008, 18:50
MacBook Pro with Telstra USB Next G modem - PAIN FREE.

Next Mac'll be smaller (and lighter)! :ok:

werbil
25th Sep 2008, 21:25
FTDK,

I brought a $20 or $25 external aerial at (dare I confess) Tandy for the Next G USB dongle. With it plugged in the broadband operates reliably where the mobile (LG TU500 on Next G) really struggles to get a signal.

W.

compressor stall
25th Sep 2008, 22:49
macbook. Light portable and reliable.

One of the best features is the time machine backup system. I use a 250g 3" usb hard drive and everytime I plug my macbook into it at home it saves my entire drive completely automatically. Then you can travel back in time to your computer at a date in the past to recover stuff.

An if you really really need to run windows programs (like accessing our company server :mad:) - you can install windows in a small partition and run windows in a window whilst using the mac osx! (you can also drag and drop items between the two).

And no viruses, it's stable etc etc....

Jabawocky
25th Sep 2008, 22:58
Hey Chuck, yes we are a bit thick, and we do need telling twice.... :}

I would go the Mac option except that all my software suites for work will not run on a MAC and thankfully not on Vista either.

My current Dell on XP is so far the most reliable I have had, the last Toshiba on XP was good too, however not having a serial port was a pain as some USB to serial converters are not good.

Hey Forkie, will all the Jepp stuff and the moving map stuff work on a Mac? If it did the next plane PC might go MAC. Problem is all the avionics software stuff is W2K/XP only.

Agree with Chuckles though..... its been one big marketing con that unfortunately some of us can not escape even when we want to!:{

J

Led Zep
26th Sep 2008, 09:51
Chimbu, we must be opposites. I have a lot of experience with Apple computers, but will never buy an Apple.
Pick an Apple machine and I've chances are I've had to work with it. Off the top of my head in the order I remember them: LCIIs, LC630s, Color Classics, IIvx, Peforma 5200s, Power 7220s, G3 iMacs, Newtons, PowerBook 100 and 1400 series, the Clamshell iBooks (mmmm, fungus!!), the second gen white G3 iBooks and the earlier G4s. Used everything from System 6 to OS X.
If you are unfamiliar with the short comings of Apple's computer products, do a search on "G4 logic board problems" for something you could relate with. I also take it you never used Mac OS 8.5? No Blue Screen of Death, but this (and similar error messages, shutDownAlert, etc) were enough to do my head in: :ugh::ugh::ugh:
http://www.miguelcarrasco.net/miguelcarrasco/WindowsLiveWriter/AppleCrashTop10Images_12FAA/bomb_s_thumb.jpg

I don't recall that kind of error though, I think it is a bogus! (but thankfully I had almost forgotten about those sort of things!!) If you were lucky and the cursor responded you could click restart. If not, you’d have to pull the plug on the bloody thing.

I’ll leave it there for now (until I bite again…I seem to take the freakin’ bait every time), but I will say I’m no Microsoft fan boy either. There are some things I like about Apple products, and there were many great games I came across for Apples. However, there is nothing an Apple can do that a Windows machine can’t for a poofteenth of the price. The last time I had a BSOD was around 5 years ago and I traced that to a crappy power supply unit. That particular machine was upgraded until replaced as my primary system by this one I’m sitting at now about 7 months ago, but is still running fine! My first Windows 95 (with Microsoft Plus! :}) machine is still running fine despite the best efforts of my relative's children who use it as a "play" computer. The only things ever to be fiddled with was a new CD-ROM drive when the first one died, and the RAM upgraded.
Really, both Operating Systems are about as reliable and stable as each other, I've found, but the fact that so many more people own Windows machines, you’re more likely to hear about Windows woes, rather than Mac Os ones.

I'm positive others on here would have more experience than me with Macs, or IBM 100% compatibles :ok: and come to a different conclusion, Chimbu you'd be one of them, but for sheer compatibility with the programs that a pilot would use and the places a pilot may find themselves in I strongly believe you cannot go past a sub $1k Windows machine.