PDA

View Full Version : Altering user name on my computer

Sensible
22nd Apr 2000, 17:11
I have this little problem !

When I first used my user name, I mistyped my user name, now, every time I make a posting on PPRuNe, I click on the mouse button but then have to chose the correct spelling of my user name. Is there any way that I can delete the incorrect one ?

penitoff
22nd Apr 2000, 20:42
Easiest way I can think of is to run regedit and do a search for your name (spelled incorrectly). When the registry entry that stores your name (there are a few) is found you can change it to what it should be. Probably a good idea to back-up your registry before tampering if you are unsure of what you are doing. I think the instructions are in the windows help file. To run regedit, click on the start button and then click run... then type regedit & press enter.
brgds PenItOff...

FL310
23rd Apr 2000, 03:29
Sensible, I assume you do not really talk about your computer name. If I understand correctly what you say, when typing the first letter of your username on the posting page, the PC offers you the wrong (your mis-typed) name.
If this is the case, in your C:\WINDOWS directory is a file with the ending PWL, you can search it with Explorer using *.pwl

Now, listen to this first: YOU CANNOT EDIT THIS FILE! To change the passwords, usernames etc. YOU NEED TO DELETE the file. Windows will on next start-up create a new one.

BUT!!!! YOU WILL HAVE LOST ALL PASSWORDS!!!

Now it is your turn to decide.

olderairhead
23rd Apr 2000, 08:30
Can I suggest a neat little free program located at
www.gator.com (http://www.gator.com)

I use it all the time.

------------------
"Yes nurse....I'm coming"

Sensible
26th Apr 2000, 04:08
Thanks, I used FL310's suggestion because it seemed safest, I worry about running things on my computer, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing - so I found out a long time ago.

Once again, many thanks.

squeakmail
26th Apr 2000, 07:53
Sensible...

I found that when I have hit wrong buttons and ended up with the occassional mispelled name or input, if I RIGHT clicked on the bad spelling (in the drop down menu that occurs once you start typing), I had the immediate option of deleting the faulty data.

Works every time for me...and I need it a lot with my typing skills.

clownfish
28th Apr 2000, 04:38
I can't see what the problem is here...if you mouse over the misspelt name it will highlight, then click nothing but press the delete key and bingo it's gone. Works for me...PRF

Sensible
1st May 2000, 01:09
Thanks Clownfish, tried you suggestion after a further "misstype" and it works ! - It's just too easy for words ! - Thanks

S