PDA

View Full Version : newbie with a question

Mezzy
24th Sep 2008, 18:15
hi im new so be nice to me lol, im a member on a vectra forum and was sent this link.

i have a hearing problem, im totally deaf in my left ear. i was rejected from the army (failed medical) and im wanting to be a helicopter pilot.

my question is, will my hearing prevent me from acquiring my ppl(h)?

thanks

low n' slow
24th Sep 2008, 19:02
I would say yes, but I would also ask you to ask the question in the medical and health forum. Also, I would contact your CAA to ask if this will limit your possibilities and if so, if there are any approved surgical solutions to it.
Don't write yourself off. I have a pal that was fully blind on one eye and had surgery done. This gave him sight enough to get a class 1 medical and he's now flying commercial. Medicine nowadays can do wonders.
Best of luck.
/LnS

isi3000
24th Sep 2008, 19:36
Try a search in the Medical Forum

JugglingSpence
26th Sep 2008, 15:26
Hi Mezzy,

My Step-Dad is deaf in 1 ear and he has a PPL so I would say the answer would be no, it wouldn't stop you getting a PPL.

He isn't able to get a Class 1 medical so that means no CPL or IR but he has passed an IMC which can be done on a Class 2 medical.

All the best. :ok:

JS

Mezzy
8th Oct 2008, 16:28
thanks for the the responces

in simple terms what can i do with a PPL(h) and what cant i do?

i dont understand all the jargon you use yet lol

its already clear that militry is out of the question, and seems i wouldnt be able to transport passengers private/public to airports or oil rigs.....so what could i do?

would i be able to fly the rescue seaking?

mcgoo
8th Oct 2008, 16:34
Not a lot basically, with only a PPL you couldn't be paid a wage for anything, for that you need a CPL (commercial license) which you would need a class 1 medical for.

skywalking
8th Oct 2008, 16:42
You would be able to fly for pleasure.. not for money.. a flight out and about with friends doing a bit of sight seeing but no work... in other words, fly as a hobby not a job...
PPL = private flying - only need a class 2 medical from CAA
CPL = commercial - need a class 1 medical from CAA (much more strict)
i'm afraid the rescue Seaking would come under the work side therefore needing a CPL and a Class 1 medical..
but again as others have said, contact the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority- based at Gatwick) and ask them the questions..

Don't go just along with what people say here!!