PDA

View Full Version : Mind Reading Machine to catch Terrorists

doo
24th Sep 2008, 18:49
FOXNews.com - Homeland Security Detects Terrorist Threats by Reading Your Mind - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News (http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,426485,00.html)

Biggles225
24th Sep 2008, 18:55
I can see the bloody thing going off for every slightly irritated or twitchy passenger, i.e. all of them! It should double the queue times if nothing else!
'aint science wonderful?

Two's in
24th Sep 2008, 19:05
the brainchild of the cutting-edge Human Factors division in Homeland Security's directorate for Science and Techno

Cutting Edge? More blunt object I would say.

Sepp
24th Sep 2008, 19:44
"DHS had to meet rigorous safety standards to ensure the screening would not cause any physical or emotional harm".

Let's hope that, when the damned thing goes beep, the ensuing seven rounds to the back of the head are delivered in an equally sensitive and caring fashion.

Tjosan
24th Sep 2008, 19:47
First of April?

capt ronweb
24th Sep 2008, 21:38
Nah, my wife's been using it for years!!

Capt. R.

Check Airman
24th Sep 2008, 22:24
I see things like this and I'm not sure if I should laugh at how ridiculous this mind reading thing is, or if I should be scared that the high school dropouts...um sorry...I mean TSA agents will be using it to ID "terrorists".

WHBM
24th Sep 2008, 22:49
Well, it's obvous If there's any government organisation with millions (or billions) of dollars up for grabs, there will be people with astoundingly plausible presentations on how al the troubles of the world will be solved - by giving them the money.

Yes, the machine will read people's minds and identify terrorists. Just hand over $3bn for a bit of R&D and there you are.

What else do you want it to do ? Cure baldness ? Easy, just another $2bn. And turn lead into gold ? Why of course, another $5bn should see us straight.

All just to be transferred to my bank account in Liechtenstein.

Governments fall for this approach because it's exactly like they tell the electorate that increased taxes will solve everything.

Pace
24th Sep 2008, 23:14
What a different world this was before 9/11 ;( and all in the name of freedom.
What freedom? never known such a paranoic society and such a controlled society as now. Oh well Big brother will soon have us taped up to brainwave readers installed with electronic chips and Iris detectors. we will probably choke on the amount of cables hanging from us all in the name of a Free World!!! Xcuse me while I puke.

As for Governments whats happened to Global warming? Gone silent on that one for now? must be to do with the world recession and realisation that maybe all the tax revenues from claimed Green issues will have to go on hold until better times.

WHBM

>What else do you want it to do ? Cure baldness ? Easy, just another $2bn.<

What an excellent idea why not $4 billion but have you considered retained heat of heads full of hair rather than the heat loss of bald heads :) and there must be security issues of not identifying bald terrorist suspects if they suddenly become full of hair.
Pace

llondel
25th Sep 2008, 00:10
How does it cope with the situation where the clueless individual in front of you in the security queue gets to the front and then decided to take his laptop out of the bag, empty his pockets, take off his belt and shoes, extract the liquid containers from his bag, etc. How many people don't have at least a fleeting urge for something unpleasant to happen to him for not getting prepared while waiting in the queue?

broadreach
25th Sep 2008, 00:33
Perhaps they could introduce post-mind-reading streaming. Those with a terrorist bent into queue A, murderers or those with intent, queue B, petty thieves queue C, posters who responded to this one, JetBlast....

Pace
25th Sep 2008, 00:43
>Perhaps they could introduce post-mind-reading streaming. Those with a terrorist bent into queue A, murderers or those with intent, queue B, petty thieves queue C, posters who responded to this one, JetBlast....<

Thought us males were supposed to think of sex 90% of the day or some figure equally large? Poor machine will be getting the hots and blowing fuses :)

Pace

broadreach
25th Sep 2008, 00:47
Pace, I refrained from suggesting that on precisely the grounds you mention; straight through for all those with sex on their minds... paedos excepted.

cwatters
25th Sep 2008, 07:40
How do they know this machine works? I mean they can't exactly tune it by testing it on real terrorists or can they? Perhaps what they really have is a machine that's good at detecting people returning from a long "holiday" in cuba :)

Captain Stable
25th Sep 2008, 08:45
Having actually read the article - BOY is that a load of journo-lite unthinking bollox - I can only conclude that the DHS is trying to bluff people into being good - much like the "TV Detector Vans" much beloved of numerous BBC Bollockspeak ads over the last 50 years.

Let's face it - even the polygraph is far from 100% accurate, even when the subject is strapped to it and asked a series of very well-planned questions by an expert and then analysed over a perios of time... and this machine is supposed to read micro-muscle movements indicating stress, measure your heart rate, etc. all at a distance? Give me a break. The DHS must reckon everyone is as f :mad: ing stupid as they are. :rolleyes:

Standard Noise
25th Sep 2008, 09:46
Will it be able to tell if I think the female DHS officer has a lovely set of norks and a nice ass?:uhoh:

Rossian
25th Sep 2008, 11:00
Broadreach:
To borrow from Rowan Atkinson Live in Belfast; ...........and adulterers, yes you, queue up at the small guillotine.....
The Ancient Mariner

Captain Stable
25th Sep 2008, 11:33
Will it be able to tell if I think the female DHS officer has a lovely set of norks and a nice ass?Yep. And will tell her to pull out her sidearm and unload the mag into you - if she's not forgotten it and left it in a toilet ( := sorry, bathroom) somewhere. :D :rolleyes:

SpringHeeledJack
25th Sep 2008, 11:41
Another over-engineered 'solution' to a problem that in all probability isn't there anymore. That it isn't in any way reliable (100%) for legal purposes leaves me thinking that there could be a good few lawsuits for incorrectly 'fingered' people. I would be feeling very humiliated if I was apprehended whilst innocent. It's enough already when going through security.

If 'they' are going to attack aeroplanes again it would be a waste of (limited) resources to risk doing the same as before. There are many methods, many of them very low-tech to cause mayhem that are surely known to those who would wish 'us' harm. My point is that the benefits of all the overt security have reached a point where the inconvenience and personal invasion have long outweighed the benefits of showing the travelling public that there is a firewall in place.

Regards

SHJ

BladePilot
25th Sep 2008, 11:53
Seems very similar to a system developed by Qinetec (DERA the good old UK Defence Evaluation and Research Agency) and trialed on Ellis Island for the New York Port Authority over the past couple of years. Typical of the Americans to take a British invention and peddle it as their own!

PaperTiger
25th Sep 2008, 15:28
I can only conclude that the DHS is trying to bluff people into being goodThe entire set of activities 'performed' by the DHS/TSA wrt security is a bluff. They wish to fool the good citizens into believing they are being protected, and to fool the bad guys into expecting to be caught at the airport checkpoints. Neither is true, but if both sets of the audience buy into it then that's good enough I suppose.

Real security is not visible. Pretend security is damn good for those businesses with tame Congressmen or effective lobbyists though. Grunt, snort, snuffle, oink.

airship
25th Sep 2008, 15:42
The possibilities this invention offers sound pretty good to me.

In fact, I reckon they ought to have the contraption available later today when Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke but especially Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson - architects of the existing bail-out plan - will appear before a Congressional committee for a third successive day. Just in case the latter (former head of Goldman Sachs) hasn't somehow invoked the necesstity of a US$800 billion 'rescue of the financial system' as merely some 'terrorist device' to demand a bailout of his former employer (amongst many others)...?! :} :uhoh:

airship
25th Sep 2008, 15:44
The possibilities this invention offers sound pretty good to me.

In fact, I reckon they ought to have the contraption available later today when Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke but especially Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson - architects of the existing bail-out plan - will appear before a Congressional committee for a third successive day. Just in case the latter (former head of Goldman Sachs) hasn't somehow invoked the necesstity of a US$800 billion 'rescue of the financial system' as merely some 'terrorist device' to demand a bailout of his former employer (and other former 'mates')...?! :} :uhoh: