PDA

View Full Version : Pilots who flew Hunter XE601

hunty
24th Sep 2008, 17:08
Gentlemen

I'm trying to put together a booklet for a friend of mine, who is the proud owner of airworthy Hawker Hunter XE601.

What I'm desperately after are stories from pilots who flew this unique aircraft during its long carrier. It was never issued to any RAF unit, but flew with Hawkers at Dunsfold and the A&AEE at Boscombe Down.

I know this is a long shot, but any story, no matter how long, or short, would be very welcome. I'm also after photos of 601.

This booklet will not be for public viewing and will be produced for the owner of the aircraft.

Thanks in advance

Hunty

PPRuNe Pop
24th Sep 2008, 17:26
Google - Hunter XE601 - and you immediately find a mass of info including pictures. But.........I suspect that a number of TP's here have flown it.

billynospares
24th Sep 2008, 17:45
Never flew it but looked after it was sad to see it go

kitwe
25th Sep 2008, 09:05
Hunty -

Check your PMs

dakkg651
25th Sep 2008, 09:54
Hunty

Tell the owner that I would love to give him a story about this lovely machine.

I,d need to fly it first though......

No harm in trying!

hunty
25th Sep 2008, 10:03
dakkg651

Blackmail works every time.

Looking forward to reading your story

Hunty

Spon Clayton
2nd Oct 2008, 05:38
I spent many a joyous hour in 601 during my time at Boscombe. I'll Pm you a story or two.

russpeart
9th Jun 2009, 16:19
Hi Hunty, Are you still interested in pilots who flew 601. ??
I flew quite a bit during 81 to 83 inc. ..Porton .Salisbury plain etc. ??

Spraying water on soldiers and all that... Russ Peart

green granite
9th Jun 2009, 16:41
Are you sure it was Water russpeart> :E:E

bvcu
10th Jun 2009, 15:38
Worked on it as AF/ENG from mid 1980 with 'Taff '' until it moved from 'E' squadron maintenance to A squadron. Did the strip and rebuild with 'sandy' for the RAF Abingdon boys to reskin the intakes . Must have been the last hunter done . Did exercise 'northern wedding ' from Karup spraying the USMC . The water filling of the tanks was done on that trip by the boys from Porton as it was their aeroplane so they came on the jolly . We did the cluster bomb clearance trials on it for Bae , i think probably for Oman. Cameras mounted on rear fuse and wingtips for that . Saw the footage when the drop tank was inadvertantly released instead of the bomb ! we were doing different combinations of inboard/outboard then with tanks and bombs . We also put the gunpack in and the boys did some firing at pembrey as due to everything being trials machines there was nothing for the guys to keep in practise with unless on a specific trial. My best memories are of USAF exchange TP's who on being strapped in for the first time with the separate harness [compared to T7 ] ,couldnt believe what sort of ancient heap they were getting into , but on return from first trip had a grin from ear to ear and then you couldnt get them out of it !!

Jackonicko
10th Jun 2009, 16:54
Dave Southwood gave some very, very memorable displays in the jet. I especially remember one at Badminton, when '601 was grey with a red cheatline, fin and spine.