PDA

View Full Version : Full Time Aviation Colleges

timmy2112
24th Sep 2008, 16:30
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here. I passed all my GCSEs (All Bs except for Science (Double Award) and Math which I did at core level and got Cs) with average grades, and I've just recently started the International Baccalaureate Diploma. I've been sure that this is my dream career since I was a young one, and over the summer, I went for a week of flying in the USA which just reinforced my thoughts.

I've been seeing here that the IB Diploma or equivalent is not a mandatory requirement for the licenses and some sponsorship programs, so I am wondering if there are any full time aviation colleges (PPL thru to CPL/ATPL) that accept students fresh from their GCSEs (Age 16/17)? By full time I mean with accomodation/boarding, etc. I've had around 6 hours at the controls with a CFI in a flying school in the USA, and this is down in my logbook (entered by the CFI). Could this help in my applications to flying colleges (if there are any) despite my low grades in Math and Science?

Cheers

markp123
24th Sep 2008, 17:58
you may struggle to get on a sponsorship..not onylb ecause they're a rare thing to come across nowadays but if you find one they usually ask for a-levels. Not sure what the qualification you have in maths is, but a good knowledge of maths will be very usefull throughout all your training and your career. If you choose a modular/integrated route through a flying organisation, you should be fine with just your GCSE's...but some may require you to sit basic maths and physics tests.

A diploma would be good, even if it is of no relevance to the flying, atleast it's something to fall back on if you need to.

The hours you've got won't make a difference in getting into any flying colleges or what not...but you've already got some experience flying which will credit towards your PPL....which is always good to have.

I don't know if what i've wrote helps you at all, lol. Sorry if not.

Mark

SparksFlyHigh
24th Sep 2008, 18:46
1. Do you understand how much it costs to go from zero to hero? Can your parents give you that money?
2. Do you understand the current state of the industry? At the moment, there are no jobs.
3. Education would help, go to college and get some decent a-levels (not an a-level in eastenders or an AS in chocolate)