PDA

View Full Version : 500 Hours In Learjet For 29.000$?

ABELINHO
24th Sep 2008, 13:57
Hi guys I'm considering this option after finishing my training, 500 hours in Learjet 35 for 29.000$, the price includes the conversion to FAA commercial with 150 hours of flight
What are your opinions?

typhoonpilot
24th Sep 2008, 14:26
Find another option. Pay for training scams like this are only used to take advantage of rich kids who aren't patient enough to build time the proper way. Flight instruct, tow banners, fly skydivers, fly in Africa, or whatever, just don't do a pay for training scam. Working your way up the hard way builds character and makes you a better pilot.

TP

sharksucker
24th Sep 2008, 14:36
first of all it is immoral to pay for the right to work..
second: a lear 35 has steam driven instruments, is an old out of date machine..
third: most likely you will pay your money to one of those brokers like Otto H.V. from ASG or Steven H. from eaglejet, and later you have to deal with the operator. What if you face problems with your operator, if you dont get your hours they promised to you? Your money is with different people you have to deal with..

Many employers don't like pay for work.. You will probably face difficulties to explain that in your interview..

Out of interest, who is offering that program?

sispanys ria
25th Sep 2008, 05:03
Pay for training scams like this are only used to take advantage of rich kids who aren't patient enough to build time the proper way.I can tell you that even with proper time it's not that easy to get something if you're not the cheapest candidate regarding TR and insurance. I've been in such a situation for over a year with a decent experience and couldn't get any jet FO job without TR. either in Europe or ME. So when I'll be pissed off enough to be grounded and that i'll be able to save enough I might consider similar prostitution because being proud doesn't relieve the pain when you can't fly.

The immorality starts with employers taking advantages by asking as much as they can to save some money.

NZ X man
25th Sep 2008, 06:46
If you do some research, you will find that there are not a lot of Lear 35 postions available any more, old airplane, good for its time, I flew one in the early eighties, to give you an example. For the money your quoting, you could get,(well perhaps a few thousand more), get a rating on an aircraft that is in demand or regular use, which is much more helpful than 500 hours in an old aircraft. Hawker series,(new), CL-300, Sovereign, to name a few, then beat the airport bush for work. I company would consider a low time pilot with the rating as long as you did not have two heads and smell bad.

Get a usable rating then sell yourself, probably a better option for your future.:)

ironbutt57
25th Sep 2008, 09:04
These packages don't usually offer a type rating do they?? And if so, it would be a commercial type rating, when you achieve your ATP, then the licence would have "commercial pilot priviledges LRjet" on it...unless you resat the ride to ATP standards...a waste of money in IMHO

sispanys ria
25th Sep 2008, 09:06
Most employers are seeking for 500 h on multi crew jet as a minimum (probably to lower insurances).

typhoonpilot
25th Sep 2008, 09:43
The immorality starts with employers taking advantages by asking as much as they can to save some money.

The key to defeating this practice is for nobody to pay for their own type rating. Then the airlines would have no choice but to do as they should and train you to fly their aircraft while you're on their payroll :ok:

Typhoonpilot

sispanys ria
25th Sep 2008, 10:47
That was my opinion when I was flying. Now I'm stuck on the ground I see the things with a different point of view. Should I really wait until no more pilot accept this ? I stopped believing in Santa and nobody is gonna change this before a while. My pride is not gonna feed my family nor my logbook so I'd better store it for sometime.

ABELINHO
25th Sep 2008, 12:44
Hi there, first of all I must say that I agree with the ones who say that we shouldn't pay for work, but I want to say as well that this is a theme that needs the intervention of the governments, if the governments don't forbide this, what is gonna get one man don't paying for work if the rest do it?
The second point is about the hours, my aim is not to work in a Learjet, my aim is to build hours in turbine, that are very important for your CV,
likewise you get the FAA commercial and you can work then in Africa, South America...

Dirigible
25th Sep 2008, 13:01
What has this got to do with the Middle East. Can this be moved to wannabe's? (Fully agree with typhoon though)

Left Wing
25th Sep 2008, 13:59
get a A320 rating and look for real FO jobs....what good is steam inst a/c for an airline that operates 737NG, ATR, 320....all glass cockpits...

Che Guevara
26th Sep 2008, 10:38
Mate, the idea of being a professional piot is that you get paid for your sevices, not the other way around...

As Typhoon pilot said:"
The key to defeating this practice is for nobody to pay for their own type rating.

Without people showing up with cash, then companies would be forced to train n' rate, full stop.
It is practises like what you mentioned that have destroyed the profession over the years, seems that there is always someone willing to work for less and therefore we continuously see our terms and conditions going down the drain. Good luck to all you wanabees out there, think about what you are doing and as hard as it is, look 20 years down the road and imagine where you will be if this type of thing keeps going.
The dawning of the McPilot is upon us....
Good luck ABELINHO

sispanys ria
27th Sep 2008, 05:44
Without people showing up with cash, then companies would be forced to train n' rate, full stop. Ernestito,
What is the probability for this to happen ? In the past I used to agree with you, but experience is just here to change my point of view. I've tried this for over a year and couldn't get anything. I chose to join the UAE in order to be with my family but would have preferred not to sacrifice my career. You're just asking people in the water not to come in the life raft because it will leave you less space. What are you expecting people to do ?

Don't you think that pilots participating in recruitment should also have some influence ? Most of the time they just try to bring some friends on board and ultimately to save the company's money.