PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe Chat

Jetdriver
11th Jan 2000, 04:35
I find that most of the time when attempting to access chat I just get a big grey box and the message Java.null.pointer.exception.

Is there an obvious fix to this ?

Regards JD

spannersatcx
12th Jan 2000, 00:41
Jetdriver, not tried it yet. The only thing I can suggest is making sure your browser has Java enabled. If you are running anything less than IE4 or Netscape 4 time to upgrade, they're free on most mag cover disks.

Land Lubber
15th Jan 2000, 07:07
Microsoft has a CD for the price of shipping, $4.95 I think, which has IE 5 and internet tools and some [maybe, I think] Y2K stuff included. I really like IE5 and the new Outlook is good, too. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

If you have Win98 there is an option to put Microsoft Chat on your machine which will enhance any chat room experience. You can find this under start/control panel/install-uninstall software/go to the middle tab for Windows and the go to Communications [little yellow phone]. Highlight communiciations, click details on the bottom right, and MS Chat is about 2/3 of the way down.

If you don't have Win98, you can download it at the Microsoft download site.

Hope this helps.

Jetdriver
17th Jan 2000, 06:53
thanx for the advice.

I have windows 98 and have now upgraded to IE 5.01.

Unfortunetaly this does not clear the problem. I still just get the grey dialogue box and nothing else. refreshing does not help.

Any other thoughts ?

Mycroft
19th Jan 2000, 17:16
If you are getting to the chat from a bookmark, go back to the main PPRuNe page and access from there - there is a new chat service. I tended to have problems with the old service and put it down to busy periods (used to be limited to 10 users at a time, now appears to have a limit of 5)