PDA

View Full Version : Documents re-dating themselves

Flintstone
5th Jan 2000, 20:09
How is it that when I open an old file in 'My Documents' it shows the file (letter) but automatically redates it to today (or the day I re-open the file).

It's really annoying as I can't check when the letter was originally sent. I'm sure it didn't do this last year. Y2K bug?

Wiggly Amp
6th Jan 2000, 03:12
Write the date in manually when creating a document. Do not use the installed macro which automatically puts in the date when creating a document and then updates every time you open the document.

I believe there is another method but this workds for me.

squeakmail
6th Jan 2000, 09:13
Can you answer that the other way around, now?

I have created a letterhead as a standard saved document - but despite all attempts to update it automatically, it "boots" and shows the date that I created it.

How can I make it update everyday?

Tinstaafl
6th Jan 2000, 23:35
Couple of different things could be the trouble.

1. When you say that the document gets redated, do you mean a date inserted in the document? Or the file itself?

If it's a date field in the document, you can use the 'Insert.....Date/Time' menu option to have Word insert the date field for you. If you want Word to automatically update the field when you open the file make sure the 'Update automatically' option is ticked.

Obviously the don't tick if you don't want it to update the entry. This is the equivalent of you typing the date in manually as normal text entry.

2. If it's the *file* date that gets changed, are you saving the recently opened file? Or perhaps you have Autosave enable.

This would over-write the old file & its file date stamp with the just saved version.

Somewhere under the 'Tools.....Options' menu is the facility to disable Autosave. Hopefully this will do the trick.

+++++++++++++++++

OOPS! Misread the part about it happening in 'My documents'. Somehow I thought the original post was a Word problem. <wanders off mumbling some blather or other...> http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 06 January 2000).]

Whooaahh
7th Jan 2000, 14:04
The best way, IMHO, is to use the "PrintDate" function ISO the "Date" funtion.

The "Date" function will ALWAYS use the current system date to update itself as the file is opened, the Print Date function only updates it when the document is printed.

Just my US$0.02 worth,

Whooaahh!!!

Capt Ted Striker
30th Apr 2000, 20:12
If opening a macro produced document that installs todays date on opening. Just open "My Documents" and right click on the document concerned. It will show the date created.

Startup
14th May 2000, 12:34
Alternatively, just replace DATE with DATECREATE.

Flintstone
15th May 2000, 10:14
Thanks for the replies everyone. Oddly enough it only happened to a couple of files (letters) and although they still appears with (say) todays date when I open them it does not happen anywhere else.

Oooh, computers! Aren't they clever?