PDA

View Full Version : MSN & Servicepack 3

ATNotts
23rd Sep 2008, 17:57
I had successfully deleted MSN from my PC some weeks ago, then yesterday I brought in Servicepack 3.

Tonight MSN is enabled, but I can't see the program in the list of programs loaded on the system.

Has anyone else had this experience, and how to I get rid of it again?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Avtrician
25th Sep 2008, 11:00
What you are probably seeing is microsoft messaging, not to be confused with MSN. They sort of look the same, but have very different functions. Cant remember how to disable it, but a google search should be able to help you.

west lakes
3rd Oct 2008, 18:59
Mine was doing the same. Stopped it in Tools - General, but it continued. Further searching found that Outlook Express was opening it.:ugh:

sky9
4th Oct 2008, 14:34
Has anyone any tips about successfully installing SP3. I've had 3 attempts and given up.

I've backed up the whole hard drive shut down everything then installed but it doesn't like it.

Atlas Shrugged
5th Oct 2008, 23:54
Has anyone any tips about successfully installing SP3.

Dont.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

twiggs
6th Oct 2008, 00:49
There are two ways to install SP3.
1. using windows update. (roughly 50MB download)
2. download the complete service pack and install manually. (316MB download (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en))

If you have tried only one method, then try the other.

Disabling all antivirus and malware programs first is a good idea too.

green granite
6th Oct 2008, 07:18
Further searching found that Outlook Express was opening it

Outlook express doesn't work without it. in outlook go to <tools>< windows messenger><options> select <preferences> and untick the first 3 boxes it should then only open & close when outlook express opens & closes.

Saab Dastard
6th Oct 2008, 09:09
I have SP3 on two systems at home, but both of them were clean installs. No obvious problems, with SP3 applied over a slipstreamed SP2 base install.

SD

Guest 112233
7th Oct 2008, 11:18
Re SP3 install over the internet - If you have a PC that uses Realtek Wireless card & drivers you may need to temporarly reinstate the Wireless Zero configuration service via running Run. msconfig - and then repairing the wireless connection. I used this proceedure ,after I got the little searchlight comming from the wireless icon on the start bar.(highly technical description).

Ie when you get searching for Ip address after the SP3 update. A contribution by anyone on PPRUNE who can explain this situation accurately would be appreciated. There seems to be a difference in the way wireless communications are authenticated under SP3.
(XP x 2 units and a XP Pro unit - connected via WPA - TKIP to a Mk1 BT Home Hub)

CAT III

Saab Dastard
7th Oct 2008, 12:17
Re SP3 install over the internet

If possible, don't! I downloaded the full SP3*.exe file, as I had 3 PCs to apply it to (and I know I will need to do so again at some point!!). It's only 324MB!

SD

sky9
8th Oct 2008, 08:33
Twiggs
Many thanks, I downloaded the big file and it installed after I pressed IGNORE about 20 times to override the Access is denied to the $$ files (backups?).
What's the difference between the two files in content?

Saab Dastard
8th Oct 2008, 09:21
If you mean the difference between the 50MB online installation and the 320MB full .exe download, the former is the installer with the core SP files, machine-specific files are downloaded as required.

The latter contains the proverbial kitchen sink!

SD