PDA

View Full Version : Need some serious advice

831ngo
23rd Sep 2008, 14:22
Hello all,

I'm 27 and currently living in Japan. I'm married and have a child and have been out of the US for three years. I have a good job as a market analyst but it's mind-numbingly boring and I can't get my mind off returning to flying. When my wife's father had cancer three years ago, we weren't married at the time but I was working part-time for an airline and working on my PPL. I left the US to support her and put everything on hold. Life happens, I've been making decent money, so now I'm planning to return to the US next year with her full support to resume working on my flying career.

I'm currently debating a couple of things. My long-term plan is to complete my training and be in a position within five years' time to return to Japan and interview with the airlines here. There are various contracts with PARC and others for RJ and turboprop jobs that pay decently but require a 2000 TT hour minimum (w/500 PIC turbine) and most candidates likely have better qualifications than that.

I have about $20,000 to contribute to training up front and access to a lot more with help from family members. Should I be thinking about an accelerated training option at this point? From what I've seen here and in other forums, part 141 training can be more expensive than part 61 and many of the schools operate on shaky guarantees. Due to my goals, I'd prefer to be more proficient than quickly rated but because of my age, I think I may not have that option. With the financing available to me, another option is to live with relatives in the SF bay area and try to get a commercial license at a part 61 school nearby in just a few months on a self-schedule of five or six flying days a week.

Can anyone advise?

Celtic Pilot
23rd Sep 2008, 14:42
first thing is first, I understand you want this quickly and badly,

My advise, and soz if you already know this, but dont rush into it and pay everything up front!!!!! ESP IN THIS CURRENT ECONOMIC CLIMATE!"!!!

It has ahppened to people before who went 40K odd into training and then the school went bust,, = no license = no qualifications = debt

20driver
23rd Sep 2008, 14:55
You might want to check out the program Mesa has with San Juan College.

As others have said - be very careful with making any down payments.

Good luck

20driver