PDA

View Full Version : the need for a new life and employment

mrmungus2002
23rd Sep 2008, 13:16
does anyone know if there are any jobs for a newbee like myself in canada!! looking to move there and would appreciate any advice.

many thanks:rolleyes:

Canadapilot
23rd Sep 2008, 17:49
If you have an Instructor Rating and convert your licenses you may find work if the school will fill out your work permit. Very few "entry-level" commercial jobs with present market, besides which they wouldn't fill out your work permit.
From a fellow Brit!

er340790
23rd Sep 2008, 20:18
Best of luck in the job search. Took me almost a year to get PR status which seemed an absolute outrage at the time (2004) though I do hear of cases of 3-4 years now that half of Iraq is in the queue.

Just a general comment on the 'new life' bit; go for it by all means, but do bear in mind that day-to-day life in Canada is not at all like a 2-week vacation here. The +ves are definitely the scenery, the amazingly low property prices v UK - at least outside the major cities - and by-and-large the friendliness of the people. The -ves can be the eye-wateringly high taxes, bloated bureaucracies at almost every level and, yes I'll say it, whatever they say, it IS true that Canadians are not the world's most interesting people. (The beer is c**p too compared to anything except US brews!) :ouch:

That said, for me at least the pros still far outweigh the cons and I have no intention of returning to Europe.... well maybe when Sterling falls to $1.50 and UK house prices drop 35% I'll revisit the idea.

Let the flaming commence! :E

ea340
23rd Sep 2008, 21:12
well talking to my bankers friends in the UK you may not have to wait long like christmas .:ok:

Canadapilot
23rd Sep 2008, 21:44
A year for PR, must be frustrating? mine has been in since March and they still keep fobbing me off! And my wife's a Canadian! On the plus note seems to be lots of instructor jobs around...just a couple of years wait for the airlines to start hiring again! Beats the JAA bull**** in the UK for sure...

dwj
23rd Sep 2008, 23:02
Nope, taxes aren't higher here, at least if you're in Alberta: I pay 26.7% tax+cpp+employers cpp compared to 29.8% in the UK for a similar salary. And here in Alberta because of the flat tax, it gets a lot better if you earn big bucks. And of course we have 5% sales tax compared to 17.5% in the UK. The only downside is capital gains tax, which I believe is higher here in Canada.

er340790
24th Sep 2008, 20:25
Yes, sorry, I was refering to the tax rates we poor b******s here in Ontario still have to pay, rather than those in Alberta. Provincial sales tax of 8% in addition to just the 5% GST in Alberta. Income tax of 46.4%+EI+CPP at the margin. Every stealth tax you can imagine. Monopoly on alcohol sales (Liquor Control Board). You name it.

Personally I find the worst of all is the imposition of full GST and PST on 2nd-hand items. So if you buy a used car from a dealer, the Govt get full sales tax again each and every time it is re-sold(!)

And you can't even vote until you get full citizenship....

"NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!!"

bigoil
25th Sep 2008, 18:51
FYI there are about 30 to 50,000 trade jobs open in Alberta so if you have a trade you can get in quick then settle in and go back to flying.

BUT once you get used to the pay cheque of a trade person it will be VERY difficult to go back to the underpaid avitaion life.

rotornut
29th Sep 2008, 15:28
Also, Saskatchewan has lots of jobs available: Prairies shop for T.O. labour | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun (http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2008/09/29/6916766-sun.html)

Apparently a lot of workers went to Alberta because of the oil boom.

It's not a bad place with lots of pristine lakes in the north. A bit cold in the winter like Alberta: Hourly Data (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=XX&StationID=3322&Year=2008&Month=1&Day=30)

Carrier
29th Sep 2008, 18:51
Agree there are lots of jobs available in both SK and AB. However, there are not many pilot jobs going in SK. The original poster would have a far better chance of landing a job in Alberta. Also Alberta is the only province that does not have provincial sales tax - this alone makes quite a difference over the course of a year.

cheez
30th Sep 2008, 13:24
Yes, sorry, I was refering to the tax rates we poor b******s here in Ontario still have to pay, rather than those in Alberta. Provincial sales tax of 8% in addition to just the 5% GST in Alberta. Income tax of 46.4%+EI+CPP at the margin. Every stealth tax you can imagine. Monopoly on alcohol sales (Liquor Control Board). You name it.

Provincial tax in Ontario is bad but could be a hell of a lot worse! The marginal tax rate for higher incomes in Alberta is about 39% vs 46% in Ont, yes still a difference of 7% but not that bad.............

It's the sales tax, higher alcohol tax, etc etc that sucks. All in all, if not Alberta I'd choose Ontario because everywhere else is even worse!

rotornut
30th Sep 2008, 14:03
Carrier
You are correct plus gas is more expensive and the roads are infamously bad.
However, I know of 2 people who got flying jobs in Saskatchewan. One got a job as a helicopter pilot and the other started as a 185 float pilot then went to Beavers with a northern operator. So it's worth checking out.