PDA

View Full Version : Reading/learning Material??

Fitnesspilot737
23rd Sep 2008, 13:00
I am about to start my PPL in late Oct. What would be regarded as good reading material or learning material (DVDs, CD-roms, books etc.) and is available to buy online so I can at least have some clue about what I need to learn and stay ahead of the game!!!???
Also does anyone rate Microsoft Flight Simulator as a useful learning tool?

johnc21
23rd Sep 2008, 13:11
Cormac hi

I'm John.
Generally the recommended reading would be the Trevor Thom series of manuals from the "official learning" point of view.I think thats all would need, no real need to go beyond that, however if you feel you may struggle and would like the assistance of some DVD's then go ahead but do note that most DVD's you see online are based on america so american differences can pop into your trainning not that they are going to be big changes but be aware of it.

I use MS for,

1.becoming somewhat familiar with the jargon from the reading material in the sim lessons
2.For practising navigation its fine of course.
3.I use also for practising a little flying (eg flying circuits in the cessna, where would I be making radio calls at what points, starting descents etc etc, just to get your brain used to a flow). Although I am informed flying in FS and flying the "beast" herself are two different things.

FS can have its uses if applied properly.

Hope thats of some help to you.

**PM me for a tip..**

regards
John

ozthai
23rd Sep 2008, 14:33
Trevor Thom excellent stuff .... great explanantions of how and why

23rd Sep 2008, 15:02
Both the AFE - Jeremy Pratt and Trevor Thom series of manuals are excellent. It is very likely that your chosen school will use one of those.

If you have chosen the school that you will be doing your ppl with, I would go for whichever series of manuals they use? You could then get the first one in the series to give yourself a bit of a head start.

AFE - PPL1 covers all aspects of the ppl generally and would be a very good place to start. Not sure what the equivalent is for Trevor Thom? You can buy them online in such places as ebay, Transair, Flightstore etc.

You probably won't need anything on top of whichever series of manuals you go for. As Johnc21 says, MFS is helpful for specific things such as instrument layout/familiarisation etc, but generally it's not a great deal of help.

Great idea to get started early with some reading and good luck with your training!

G CEXO
23rd Sep 2008, 15:20
I am also to start my PPL in late october. I have so far taken and passed Air Law and Aircraft General in under 2 months and will be taking Met exam next week.

I will hopefully sit and pass Human Factors and Flight Performance by end October leaving me just Nav and Comms to pass once flying.

Get as many exams done before you start, you'll then have your mind focused on flying. :ok:

G-XO