PDA

View Full Version : My Hero

missrubytuesday
23rd Sep 2008, 12:40
As a school task for English we have been asked to create a hero, and an antagonist for this hero; as well as a situation for them. You needed to draw your hero/ine of the 21st century, create an environment, write a story and find a piece of music to accompany a TV Adaption (I wrote my own piece)
So I decided to use my inspiration - Lynn Barton - British Airways' first female pilot and captain of the first 747 into terminal 5. (I hope she does not mind I have done her) I hope this is not too off topic for you all. I am in year 10 at school (I'm 15) and would love to be a pilot when I am older.
I have drawn her and so...
Here she is....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2882261588_a8f4f61aef.jpg?v=0

She is my hero because she stands for all I dream of. I would love to be like her one day - and I wish I could meet her someday perhaps. :cool:

thanks!

Rt. ;)

G-CPTN
23rd Sep 2008, 12:47
What an excellent illustration (and a commendable subject).
Well done, missrubytuesday. I hope that all that you hope for yourself comes to fruition.
Maybe someone on here might arrange an encounter with your 'hero'?
Have you thought about an 'experience' day?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Sep 2008, 12:49
I always wanted to be able to draw :( I can draw houses and cars and tanks and aeroplanes, but I never could draw anything real like people or trees. Good job.

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Sep 2008, 12:59
If it all goes to rats on the pilot training, missrubytuesday, definately go for a job in fine art. That's a superb drawing!

angels
23rd Sep 2008, 13:39
Hey, well done young lady. My son is the same age as you and he's still on the matchstick men when it comes to art.

Folks, that can't be Rainboe on the right.

Far too young........:eek:

ThreadBaron
23rd Sep 2008, 14:15
The villan's only got three rings ... he'll never win!

Good luck for your future, Ruby.:ok:

larssnowpharter
23rd Sep 2008, 20:26
It would be nice if someone on the BA thread who pops in here now and again could contact this young lady and arrange for her to meet her heroine.

What say you?

missrubytuesday
24th Sep 2008, 07:23
Thankyou so much everyone :) It would be my dream to meet her larssnowpharter, the chances may be a little slim of me actually meeting her though - so I will just have to keep wishing.
I didn't put the right uniform on the villian - but I don't think the Year 10 English teacher will mind, if notice at all.
By the way G-CPTN, what is an experience day? I am in Australia, Its going to be very hard to meet her - but I'm hopeful.
Cheers!

BlueDiamond
24th Sep 2008, 07:36
Whereabouts in Oz are you, Ruby? Love your artwork ... as Beatriz says, if your intended career as a pilot doesn't happen, you'll have another option with your artistic abilities, those sketches are excellent!!

missrubytuesday
24th Sep 2008, 07:49
Hi Bluediamond,
I am in NSW, about 1.5 hours south of Sydney, which means not too far from the airport for a day of spotting now and then when I convince mum to take me.
Fingers and toes still crossed - thanks for your comment :)

Howard Hughes
24th Sep 2008, 09:40
I'm sure there will be someone on Prune who can organise a meeting, only thing that might make it a little difficult is I haven't seen many BA 74's in SY recently!:ok:

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2008, 11:17
By the way G-CPTN, what is an experience day?For youngsters interested in a particular career, they can be allowed to spend a day (or even a week) of 'work experience' shadowing people doing the job to which they aspire.
Work experience in Years 10 and 11 : Directgov - Education and learning (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/14To19/Years10And11/DG_10013569)
Some arrangements are formal and fixed through the school(s), whilst other pupils apply directly and ask for the opportunity to see exactly what goes on. The benefit to the employer is that they get access to enthusiastic recruits at an early stage and can guide their development, whilst the 'wannabe' experiences some of the aspects of their aspiration and get to learn what skills and qualifications they need.
Of course it can have a negative effect if the environment isn't what the pupil imagined. This saves wasted time later on for both the recruit and the potential employer.

My suggestion was that maybe someone in BA might react by arranging a meeting for you with Lynn during a layover in Oz (including flying you from your home to wherever she might stopover) and even being present as she 'prepared' her flight and prepped the aircraft for her departure.
I don't know whether regulations allow flight-deck jump-seat rides in Oz, but that would be my suggestion (during your travel from and to your home for any meeting with Lynn).

If nobody reacts then I would suggest that you write a letter outlining your desire to become a pilot and how much you would appreciate the opportunity to see what that involved, mention Lynn and include a copy of your project drawing etc etc
BA Recruitment (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/?newms=info38)
Gap-Year.com - Graduate opportunities & work experience (http://www.gap-year.com/browse.asp?catID=963&showListing=1&listingID=2025&layout=1)
I appreciate that the above schemes are aimed at undergraduates (and of longer endurance), but hopefully a letter to them would be passed on to an appropriate department, or send it directly to British Airways 'Publicity' or Public Relations Department.
British Airways - Your questions (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_gb?p_search_text=publicity)

An initial email to BA asking who to contact might save your drawings going astray (or ask how to contact Lynn directly).

Come on, Big Airways personnel! You've got the makings of great publicity here (building on the T5 event).
'How BA's first female pilot inspired youngster to follow in her footsteps.'
You could earn yourselves a spiffing (or whatever the Oz expression is) recruit . . .

missrubytuesday
24th Sep 2008, 12:29
Hi Again G-CPTN,
Thanks for your informative reply, you have been really helpful :)
What you have outlined sounds absolutly amazing, anything along the lines of actually meeting her would be awesome in itself.
I am going to send her a letter with a copy of the drawing just telling her I admire her etc but wasn't really sure to send it. I will email BA to ask them where to direct things like that - I wouldn't be able to send the original drawing safely and wouldn't want to risk it so I will send a copy.
Does anyone have any further ideas as to where to send a letter to her?
Thanks for your help again G-CPTN - much appreciated! I never thought I would get a response like this - I will be keeping my fingers crossed for sure now!

By the way, The BA 747s are still flying to Sydney, one BA 777 flies in as well as the second flight.

Rt.

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2008, 12:58
Thanks for your informative reply,
You're welcome.
As you have already wisely decided, never send the original - too much risk of it getting lost (or even 'apprehended') before it reaches its destination. If you choose to present the original to Lynn then that is your concern entirely.
Be sure that your letter isn't too sycophantic as it might be misconstrued, but remain factual and explain your visits (if any) to airports.
If you have a local airfield approach the management and ask for a visit to the Tower and ATC.
If you don't ask you don't get (and shy bairns get nowt).

Good luck!

Binoculars
24th Sep 2008, 13:10
I feel ashamed to admit that my cynicism always give me pause for thought when it comes to windups on Pprune. I'm glad to say I am convinced Missrubytuesday is the real thing.

Go you wonderful young lady. What a pleasure to find such an ambitious and articulate 15 year old. I'm not in a position to assist, but I'm sure there exists, even in JetBlast, the wherewithal to make your initial dreams a reality.

Good luck!

(Not far from you, Howard!)

tony draper
24th Sep 2008, 13:14
Well we have a lady Pilot on Prune who not only flies those Boeing thingies but flew A10's and F16s,much more exciting.
:rolleyes:

Flashdance9
24th Sep 2008, 16:18
Hello rubytuesday & G-CPTN,

With regard to Work Experience and placements etc. BA have had all these suspended since around 2003. So unfortunately you wont be able to do anything like that. Jump seats for pax & visitors not possible.

The only direction which might be useful to you is the British Airways press office. - see the BA website for more details. Try asking about the "British Airways News" newspaper, as they might be interested. They like stories like this with diversity/international relations etc.

Being in australia, it might be a little difficult to arrange, unless BA have a local press office in sydney - which is the only destination they fly to in Australia.

All the best.

missrubytuesday
25th Sep 2008, 07:20
Thankyou to everyone for all the help and warm wishes. I never imagined receiveing replies like these - and to have has certanly given me a spring in my step.
I am going to continue forward on a careful path to the right angle of approach. I think sending a formal letter would be best with a copy of the drawing - I think she would like to see it.
There will always be different definitions of what we see as a 'hero', but whatever you would like to define it, I find her inspiring.
Thanks again everyone - I will try to convince mum to let me go to the airport again soon ;)

Rt.

Binoculars
25th Sep 2008, 14:45
Why thank you, kind sir!

I think Beatriz Fontana answered your post quite succinctly, and considerably more diplomatically than I, but our thoughts were along the same lines.

I was simply saying in my blunt antipodean way (which I thought would be received with the humour intended but not for the first time I am proven wrong) that while I may not have any heroes myself, that is my loss. A young lady of 15 who is articulate and confident enough to present her views on a forum full of jaded cynics and confess that she has her own personal hero should be applauded and encouraged, not subjected to a lesson in semantics.

So I did just that.

S'land
25th Sep 2008, 15:29
A young lady of 15 who is articulate and confident enough to present her views on a forum full of jaded cynics and confess that she has her own personal hero should be applauded and encouraged, not subjected to a lesson in semantics.

Well said, especially one who has chosen a person who is not one of the usual chav "celebrities", pop "stars" or drug addicts.

missrubytuesday
25th Sep 2008, 21:42
Thankyou Binoculars and S'land that was very nice of you. I am not big on the celebrity ideas, so I think I will stick with Lynn. ;)

25th Sep 2008, 22:16
Struth, a young person with faultless English, ambition, tact, diplomacy and talent getting the very best out of Jet Blasters.

My miserable existence is now somewhat uplifted.

Go for it Miss, me thinks you have one incredible future ahead of you in the LHS of that latest Airbus monster.

Regards

Cron.

PS Just spotted the 'recieveing' (hopefully typo) spelling. However, that will probably get you straight in as a Training Captain.

missrubytuesday
26th Sep 2008, 06:20
Hi Cron, glad to have lifted a small part of your day. The response from this lovely lot has certainly lifted many of mine :)
My aim is for the Boeing 747 rather than the A380, although that is thinking a little ahead - but then again, It is always lovely to dream.

I will get straight to work on a nice letter I think :8

Rt. ;)

missrubytuesday
29th Sep 2008, 04:42
I would just like to thank everyone who has helped in my quest. I sent her a letter today with copies of the drawing, I hope it all finds her okay.
Big Thankyou to everyone! My fingers are crossed.

I also grabbed some temporary frames for the portraits today - I accidently got one silver one gold, but they are really to keep them safe.

Rt. ;)

Binoculars
29th Sep 2008, 04:46
Good luck in everything, RT, and keep us posted. :ok:

acbus1
29th Sep 2008, 07:45
She should smarten up, if she's such a hero.

I mean, leaning against the picture frame in that slovenly fashion. Disgraceful.

And why's the bloke on the right hand picture tilting over at an angle and sinking?

Quicksand?

angels
29th Sep 2008, 10:23
Let us know the result ruby!

missrubytuesday
29th Sep 2008, 11:05
She should smarten up, if she's such a hero.
I mean, leaning against the picture frame in that slovenly fashion. Disgraceful.
And why's the bloke on the right hand picture tilting over at an angle and sinking?
Quicksand?

Funny you should mention that, symbolism is a major factor in art. The guy is on an upward angle to make him look more imposing as he is a villian, and also create an illusion to an official pose often associated with the army - as if he is about to receive an order.
Lynn is not leaning, she is standing straight. The frame looks as though she is leaning, but it is just where the edge of the paper meets the frame. It also shows she is more relaxed and happy wheras her antagonist is stiff and straight. ;) Well thats how my class saw it anyway - year 10 english.

Sallyann1234
29th Sep 2008, 11:07
Ruby,
I would like to add my encouragement and best wishes to those already given - you deserve to go far along your chosen path in life, and I am sure you will.

But you have intrigued me. You have chosen a very suitable hero. She can stand on her own, and doesn't need a villain to contrast with. You have said little about the villain. Who do you imagine he is, and why have you pictured him as an FO? Do you have a story in mind that would interest us?

missrubytuesday
29th Sep 2008, 11:53
Hello Sallyann1234,

Thankyou kindly for your comments!
Lynn was my hero well before I was given the English assignment, and as part of this task - we were required to create a nemesis to our hero. Thus, I found a suitable Delta Airlines Pilot - of whom I drew from a picture. I created his character myself - as a fictional villian for the story I wrote as part of the task.
I imagined him as many things - but centered around a theme of terrorism (as our study for the term focused on 'heroism vs terrorism')
From the drawing, many can interperate him in many different ways. Wheras I will always see Lynn as much more than a heroine for my story.
Thankyou again!

Rt. ;)

Sallyann1234
29th Sep 2008, 13:12
If ever you put your story on the web (without personally identifiable info of course!), please post a link here.

missrubytuesday
30th Sep 2008, 00:21
I will for sure. I will change most of the names and edit it a fair bit before that though ;)
Thanks again!

lynnbarton
2nd Oct 2008, 14:16
Hi, I have been alerted to your fascinating post by a couple of my colleagues. I think it is absolutely fantastic, your obvious artistic talents may well be wasted as a pilot! However I hope you do achieve your ambition.

I do sometimes get down to Sydney on trips so perhaps we may be able to meet up sometime. However I doubt I could get you on to an aircraft because of the security we have.

Anyway fantastic picture, really well done.

Lynn Barton

Binoculars
2nd Oct 2008, 15:43
Fantastic potential result for RT and those following the story. Lynn, I'm sure all of us here would be delighted to hear of any effort to help her in her dream. Good luck to both of you!

Union Jack
2nd Oct 2008, 15:54
Well done, Ruby - your hero has now commendably joined in!

Good luck in your endeavours and, noting that you said "I will change most of the names", make sure that you don't use the name Branson, especially for the villain ....:)

Jack

G-CPTN
2nd Oct 2008, 23:03
:D
Result! :ok:

sthaussiepilot
2nd Oct 2008, 23:57
(Little Bit Late)

Congratulations on that fantastic result :ok::D

From the looks of those drawings, I can guess what you'll be doing if you go into longhaul flights :ok:

I wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavours :D

Roger Sofarover
3rd Oct 2008, 03:47
Good result:D

year 10 english.

Hmmm, not so sure!

missrubytuesday
3rd Oct 2008, 20:27
Thankyou kindly everyone - I am very appreciative of your warm wishes and words of encouragement. Once again a huge thankyou to everyone who has helped me, everything has really made my day :)

Yes, I am in year 10 at school - soon to sit the School Certificate in fact.

Rt.;)

Crosshair
3rd Oct 2008, 20:41
I hope this isn't goodbye, Ruby Tuesday.

treadigraph
3rd Oct 2008, 20:48
So do I... great song, wonderful thread, stick around Ruby, you too Lynn.

BlueDiamond
4th Oct 2008, 03:13
... stick around Ruby, you too Lynn.
Yes, please do! Lynn, that was kind of you to respond to Ruby in person, I'm sure it meant a great deal to her. And Ruby ... please keep us posted, there are plenty of people here who will be following your career with interest. Good luck to you.

missrubytuesday
4th Oct 2008, 04:28
... everything has really made my day

Make that 'made my year' perhaps. I cannot begin to thank everyone for their support! I will be sticking around here, I will not forget your kind wishes and hope I can perhaps return the favour one day.
This is the first time I have ever been thankful for an english assignment. If my teacher had not mentioned the task, I would not have done the drawing and would not be sitting where I am now, the greatest smile on my face and the warm thought of knowing a dream may perhaps come true.
I will keep you all posted. Once again - I really cannot thank you all enough.

Anyway fantastic picture, really well done

Thankyou Lynn!

Georgie (Rt.) ;)

Roger Sofarover
5th Oct 2008, 02:57
Ruby
You are clearly very gifted. I don't know what the schools are like where you live but the standard of english they teach is amazing, you really should get down to doing your english degree as soon as possible, don't waste any time now! How about you write a novel and illustrate it your self.

CityofFlight
5th Oct 2008, 03:10
Best of luck to you, Miss Ruby--although I'd say your talent will surpass any luck you recieve with the doors that open to you. :ok:

It goes without saying, we're all looking forward to reading about your progress, so updating us here is a must!

All the best...

C of F

missrubytuesday
5th Oct 2008, 05:29
Thankyou very much :)
I am very amazed to have heard from Lynn herself, that was very kind of her to take the time to post on here. My family couldn't believe it either. I am so very chuffed to have heard from my hero - who would have guessed an english task would have made me so very happy?

Rt. ;)

redsnail
5th Oct 2008, 11:29
G'day mrt,

Just read the thread and am quite impressed. What Lynn's done is amazing and I am really pleased she's joined the thread too. :ok:
Well done on your project and your future endeavours.

Heroes/role models/mentors are so useful for us. Mine was a female pilot called "Mary O'brien". She passed away a couple of years ago but she was the first female Flying Inspector at CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Australia) and she was a Lear jet captain. Look up Nancy-Bird Walton too. Qantas has just named it's first A380 after her.

Qantas have a couple female captains as well. I don't know them personally (or maybe i do) but they're not hard to find. :ok:

Australia, Great Britain and the US have quite a few extraordinary female pilots. AWPA, BWPA and the 99s are good places to start a search. :ok:

If "McD" pops in, she's awesome!

PS, while 747s are all right, bizjets are cool. :E

lexxity
5th Oct 2008, 19:44
Amazing. :ok:

Good luck MRT, you'll go far I can tell. There are some amazingly inspirational women out there and you are so lucky to have virtually met your hero. Good on ya. :ok:

FYI - Hero was a woman. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_and_Leander)

missrubytuesday
6th Oct 2008, 08:25
Cheers :)
I have heard of Nancy Bird Walton, I read a bit about her in an article. What a wonderful lady indeed, great story to read.
Still chuffed to have heard from Lynn however, I am very very lucky indeed.

Rt. ;)

angels
6th Oct 2008, 11:42
Excellent, stuff, well done to Lynn for nipping in.

Ruby - Don't know how your project works, but you could append this thread to it. We'll hold you to your promise to nip back and let us know what's going on!

Au revoir Ruby Tuesday! :ok:

Foss
6th Oct 2008, 12:01
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/Gfwfos/DSC00072.jpg

My go at a pilot. Try art school Ruby. You get the time to get even better. On the plus side, you can make a lot of money.
Minus side - 'Do me a drawing.'

Crosshair
6th Oct 2008, 20:01
Looks like your pilot was caught by the enemy at a rather personal moment, Foss.

Foss
6th Oct 2008, 20:48
I think I got the air intakes wrong as well.

missrubytuesday
7th Oct 2008, 00:47
Thanks angels, I don't think my english teacher will believe what has followed either.
Foss, that is an excellent sketch. I love the expression! I know there is an art school available to year 11 (next year for me)
I must admit, I have been asked quite a bit to 'whip up' another drawing after finishing these two. I don't think I will be able to replicate the one of Lynn (the portrait is under high security by the family :)) though.
I did a plane yesterday as it was horrid outside with my pencils. I like the pencils much more than paint.
It is interesting to see how many people like the villian better than Lynn however :O

missrubytuesday
26th Oct 2008, 09:49
Just thought I'd pop in and say hello again, and send another round of thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and helpful.
Everyone who I have told cannot believe what has happened either, especially my family and friends. Unfortunately the english teacher is on long service leave and I will not see him untill the end of year speech night in late November, but boy will I have a story to tell him!
I cannot wait until December.

By the way - here is one I drew yesterday - for all the Qantas fans out there :8
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/gkblohnro/Collection/JukeboxRyan015-1.jpg?t=1225013612

Thankyou everyone!

Mrt. ;)

Radar66
26th Oct 2008, 10:27
Ruby... you have DEFINITELY got a future in the art world!! :D

BlueDiamond
26th Oct 2008, 11:15
Beautiful, ruby, just beautiful. Please make sure you keep posting here at least from time to time ... quite a few people are going to be following your career with interest! Good luck to you. :ok:

G-CPTN
26th Oct 2008, 12:56
Amazing! Ruby,
. . . as one who only draws with a ruler (I'm an engineer) I have great respect for those who can reproduce images freehand. You have a prodigious talent there and will never 'want' as long as you can produce sketches of that quality.
Even when you have qualified to fly, you can utilise your free time to supplement your income. Folks will pay good money for drawings like that. Think about putting an advert in a local paper offering to sketch pets (dogs and horses) - or just ask around friends and family and build your clientèle from that.
Or create a webpage:-
Sketch Your Pet - Hand drawn from your favorite photo (http://www.caseysworld.net/sketchyourpet.html)
Pet Sketch! - Your favourite pet photos turned into a fine art Pencil Sketch, Watercolour or Pastel - at an affordable price! (http://www.pet-sketch.co.uk/)
PetSketch.com TM (http://www.petsketch.com/)
You could, of course, choose to stay with inanimate objects such as cars or motorcycles - people will also pay to have sketches of their 'toys'.

Foss
26th Oct 2008, 16:01
Ruby
That is excellent. Is that a watermark you've stuck on the image? Smart move, born freelancer ;)

Tried any boats? Yachtsmen are suckers for drawing of their mistresses. It's interesting as well, technical but tricky trying to get all the lines right.

CityofFlight
26th Oct 2008, 16:31
What an amazing gift you have, Ruby! :ok: :D You are a remarkable talent with a very promising future.

Howard Hughes
26th Oct 2008, 22:56
Best thread in a long time, keep up the good work!:ok:

RiscOS
27th Oct 2008, 02:05
Agree completely with what HH says.

A couple of weeks ago a thirteen year old boy asked an innocuous question in the spotters forum (Has anyone seen a UFO whilst Flying??). The first reply (since removed) cut him off at the knees and then it got worse. Last time I looked, of about 15 replies, only one, from a former Vulcan pilot, had answered his question. The lad is probably still hiding under his bed afraid to come out in case a pprune gets him.

In contrast this thread has been an absolute delight and a credit to everyone who has contributed ( and to JetBlast).

Ruby, I agree with every word that's been said about your talent and ability, but I'd like to add that your unfailing courtesy and manners have endeared you to everyone.

All the best, Ruby

RiscOS

kevmusic
27th Oct 2008, 09:31
RT, you're obviously multi-talented and have the world at your feet - go for it! Your chances are excellent as you've proved you can take your dreams to the biggest bunch of cynical old f**ts and come up trumps.:ok: A real trial by fire!

RiscOS, I didn't see the thread you mention but I can imagine it :(, and I do feel something of the same has happened to Hugh Spencer. Anyone who's read Hugh's posts in Mil Av will know he's of a generation which measures its heroics by very different standards from today. Whilst not saying his post was quite in the tenor of this thread I do feel he should have been cut a little slack. On the other hand, some JB pPRuners may not know of Hugh's wartime exploits - in which case, his age is published, and I think that, at least, was deserving of a little more repect! :)

missrubytuesday
27th Oct 2008, 10:56
Heartiest Thanks everyone, you have all made my day :)
I was lucky enough to complete an assignment involving the 747 today, in history of all subjects. We were studying the changes of different aspects of technology and I drew transport from the hat (each member our class was given a different topic drawn from a hat, another example included entertainment and communications - right up to household appliances) - leading me straight to aviation and thus, the 747. It meant I got to do another drawing and I found it great fun to have the oppurtunity to do a school task involving something like this - making two this year including Lynn Barton.
By now, not many of my school friends are unfamiliar with Lynn Barton and I am still in disbelief of the events following the english task of what many have said is 'an unlikely hero'. So I really cannot thank you all enough, I will not forget your kindness.

By the way, here is the history drawing.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/gkblohnro/holdon045-1.jpg?t=1225104980
There is a watermark indeed, the computer does it automatically as I often take photos of show horses and sell them. I don't know what I will draw next but it is highly likely the subject will be a British Airways 747-400, my all time favourite to join the collection.

Cheers Everyone - mrt ;)

13thDuke
27th Oct 2008, 13:00
Well done mrt,

Wish I could draw like that....

Sigh

Foss
27th Oct 2008, 15:52
Hey Ruby, here's some stuff from a guy I know called Davy Pentland, only reason I'm mentioning him is I know he does some stuff the same style as yours.
If you check through some of the galleries there's some pencil stuff as well.
Just to see someone elses technique, check what sizes the originals are, that kind of thing, just remember the prints you see may have started out considerably bigger, so they look unfeasibly like a photograph by the time you see them. But you can check out his prices.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/Gfwfos/737.jpg

Airline Art Prints. Commercial Aircraft Paintings (http://www.davidpentland.co.uk/liners.htm)

No harm seeing what everyone else is doing.

CityofFlight
27th Oct 2008, 16:48
Good advice, Foss.

missrubytuesday
7th Nov 2008, 10:28
Thankyou for that information Foss, it is always very interesting to see another artists' work, particulary one that also uses aircraft as their subject :)
I was hoping to start another series this weekend (I just finished the third drawing to go with the other two in this thread) however I have exams on Monday and Tuesday, so the wonderful hours of freedom from school allocated this weekend have been taken by study. :(

Hopefully I will be able to enter the set in next years Royal Canberra and Sydney art competitions. Wouldn't mind giving their junior art section a go.

Cheers all.
mrt ;)

missrubytuesday
8th Dec 2008, 10:40
Hi Again Everyone,

Just thought I would 'pop in' and let you know that I recieved a very suprising email today. It was from Patrick Gribbin, a delta pilot who was the 'star' of my portrait of the 'villian' (I called him James)
He was very kind to email me, and this has continued what has proven to be an amazing chain of events.
I am sure this would have made an interesting story over there. Not everyday you see yourself drawn as a villian :O

By the way - here is the latest one for the BA fans (if there are any here)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/3057330527_d0aa5a354f.jpg?v=0

Thankyou!

Mrt. ;)

Foss
8th Dec 2008, 10:45
Brilliant Ruby, looks great. Keep it up.

BlueDiamond
8th Dec 2008, 11:56
How did you go in your exams, ruby?

missrubytuesday
13th Dec 2008, 09:35
Have not gotten any results yet, however I have heard they are soon to be distributed, along with school reports.

Sallyann1234
13th Dec 2008, 13:37
Hi Ruby,
LOVE your picture. Are you aiming to fly one when you get your command, or will it be an A380?

missrubytuesday
18th Dec 2008, 10:54
Ultimate goal is the Boeing 747 - I have always admired the 747. Therefore, I don't like the A380.

Just to keep everyone up to date (if you are all interested of course) - I am able to meet Lynn Barton in Sydney on Christmas eve.
I must therefore send a special thankyou to everyone here, if it were not for this wonderful forum I would not be in the position I am in - I would never be able to meet my heroine.
So once again everyone, thankyou so very much. I was very thrilled just to have heard from Lynn, let alone have the oppurtunity to finally meet her - on Christmas eve. The support I have recieved has meant a great deal to me and I am very appreciative of every comment and helpful thoughts. I will let you all know how it all goes and I hope to keep popping in now and then.

Mrt. ;)

Foss
18th Dec 2008, 11:04
Good stuff Mrt, ping another drawing on as well if you get a chance, to keep everyone updated.

Sallyann1234
18th Dec 2008, 11:26
MRT,
If you read much of this forum you will see that most of its contributors are sceptical of the younger generation with its perceived bad manners, lack of initiative etc.
When someone like you comes along with your ambition and talent shining through, it demonstrates that all is not yet lost with the world. You are doing us all a big favour :ok:
Please tell us all about the meeting on Christmas Eve (a photo would be good!) and have a great time. You have earned it.

BlueDiamond
18th Dec 2008, 11:44
Absolutely delighted for you, Ruby!! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time ... and please do keep "popping in" when you can, a lot of people here are following your progress with interest.

Best wishes to you for a happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

G-CPTN
18th Dec 2008, 12:25
I am able to meet Lynn Barton in Sydney on Christmas eve.
What can one say?
I'm overcome with emotion at the thought of Ruby coming face-to-face with her hero . . .
And, if Lynn reads this I want to applaud her for her response. Thank you.
It really has made not only Ruby a very happy young lady (I presume), it has given me a sense of satisfaction that having responded to Ruby 'we' JBers have been able to help a potential pilot on her way to achieving her ambition.
Yes, I'm very happy (no doubt others are too). A fairy tale is about to take place in Sydney. How apt that it is to be on Christmas Eve . . .

And to Ruby, Happy Christmas!

nossi89
20th Dec 2008, 17:00
I have just discovered this thread. First of all, Ruby, your drawings are amazing! I have a life long passion for art myself and I'm very interested to see other people's work, especially when they are as young and talented as you are. I love your attention to details. Please keep us updated. I'd be very pleased to see more of your work.
I'm also happy to read that you finally have the chance to meet your idol. You clearly deserve it.

Best of luck for your future and enjoy your Christmas eve! :ok:

missrubytuesday
21st Dec 2008, 00:25
I decided to 'touch up' Lynn Barton before I give it to her, however this turned into a fixation on making it perfect. I don't know how many times I fiddled or changed the slightest mark, it was a long process of scanning for the slightest off pencil stroke. With my new set of pencils I have darkened the uniform, and put much more detail into her features. It took me a good 13 hours all up - nearly twice what it took me to draw and complete her the first time :eek: . I believe it looks much better but I thought I better show you all here, after all - you were all one of the first to see her.

This is still the original - I have just 'fixed' it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/3123265133_1e9ce40e76.jpg

The 'before' picture is back on the first page of this thread. Ironically, the first time completed this portrait - it was Saturday the 20th September 2008. I 're completed' her on Saturday the 20th December 2008.

I don't know how many times I have thanked you all, but one more cannot hurt. I am so appreciative of all the support and well wishes. I'll keep you informed.
Merry Christmas Ppruners. ;)

Gordy
21st Dec 2008, 07:59
Just read this thread for the first time---it has restored my faith in mankind--I am guilty of being cynical numerous times..just for the fun it--in these uncertain times, it is refreshing to read a story like this...

Miss Ruby--when you finally become Captain of a 747, this will make a wonderful story AND movie---I wish you luck, and maybe you should think about signing an agent...

I hope you have a great time on Christmas eve, and I, along with everyone else on JB look forward to reading all about it.

P.S. I realise I am from the "dark side", but did you ever consider drawing or flying helicopters?

Radar66
21st Dec 2008, 16:16
Ruby that is wonderful news to hear - please do come back in and tell us all about your meeting with Lynn - and as has been mentioned before, a photograph of the meeting would be fabulous to see!

I love the updated drawing - you really do have a talent.

Have a wonderful Christmas Ruby, especially a wonderful Christmas Eve... :ok:

BlueDiamond
21st Dec 2008, 23:09
--when you finally become Captain of a 747,
... you will need to "borrow" it to take all your cyber-friends for a celebratory flight! I'll book my seat now and I'd like to overfly Antarctica please. :ok:

Happy Christmas to you and your family, Ruby ... please try to get a couple of photos of this historic meeting to show us, only two days to go!! :ok:

missrubytuesday
22nd Dec 2008, 22:49
I am off to my grandma and grandpa's tonight before I will meet mum and go up to Sydney tommorrow. Today I will add 'the final touches' to the portrait and to finish the plane I have drawn for Lynn (A BA 747 of course)

Merry Christmas everyone, Happy New Year and most of all - thank you!

Mrt. ;)

Lon More
23rd Dec 2008, 15:12
MRT I don't know if you are aware of The guild of Aviation Artists. (http://www.gava.org.uk/)

You might like to send them some details of your work

Foxy Loxy
23rd Dec 2008, 19:15
Miss Ruby Tuesday is probably just a few hours away from meeting Lynn Barton....

Ruby, I hope so much it's everything you dreamed it would be. Lynn sounds very much like a lady to aspire to emulate. I wish you every success in your endeavour. In the meantime, please carry on with your wonderful pictures. I would like very much in the future to hang one on my wall. You are a true inspiration to us all.

Happy Christmas to you

Foxy (age 28, already a cynical old bat)

PS, If (OK, WHEN on layover ;) ) in England, there are many beautiful WW2 aircraft for you to draw. You have a ready-made market waiting here!

Howard Hughes
23rd Dec 2008, 21:28
Hi MRT, I too would be interested in commissioning an artwork and I am not far away in Sydney, PM me when you have some spare time...:ok:

missrubytuesday
26th Dec 2008, 08:25
As promised.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/3137984260_9ba8c1eff6.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3137156093_471917d2c6.jpg

missrubytuesday
26th Dec 2008, 08:54
I was really honoured to have met a person I admire so much, and to be able to give her her portrait, as well as the plane for a Christmas present.
Of course, it would not have been possible without this forum; I owe it to all of you. Thankyou to all who have contributed to this awesome thread, I will never forget everyone's support. :ok:

I met Lynn at the hotel at 1pm, as well as a representative from the British Airways PR department and a photographer. The photographer took hundreds of shots (the ones above my mother took) before my mum and grandma (who were with me) went to lunch with Lynn and her husband Mike not far away, overlooking Darling Harbour. When she first heard of my english task she thought it was a joke, and that someone was trying to make fun of her. We all had a beautiful day, chatting away happily, Lynn and Mike were both so lovely and I am so appreciative of them taking the time to meet me. I made sure to send her a message on Christmas Day, thanking them both once again.

Lynn had brought with her a beautiful Christmas card from Willie Walsh - (CEO of BA), as well as a cap (the one I am wearing in the shot) and a set of pilot's wings. I was told that both were the same as those given to the real pilots that fly for BA.

The portrait is now with Lynn, heading home to England. Oddly, my family and I slightly miss the drawing, we had seen it so much and I for one had stared at it for a long time as I completed it. The villain now sits by himself in his frame. She has assured us the portrait will have a very special place at her home. In her last message to me before she left she said the portrait and the plane were the best Christmas gifts she had been given. Likewise for me, it was the greatest gift too.

I remember telling one of my friends early in October that I had heard from Lynn, when she first found out. Being 'mathematically minded' he assured me then that the chances of that happening - or of meeting her - were so highly unlikely - perhaps a million to one. Thus, my family have nicknamed this whole 'story' of the english assignment, the thread known as 'my hero', the responses, the support and of course the amazing meeting - 'the unlikely story of my unlikely hero'.

Mrt. ;)

P.S - At this stage unfortunately I cannot accept any commisions. However I will let you know in future as I would love to repay you all.

mustpost
26th Dec 2008, 09:01
Wow!!!.....
That's all I can say....
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Foss
26th Dec 2008, 09:26
Excellent Ruby, keep it up. Absolutely brilliant.

Radar66
26th Dec 2008, 09:40
That is so wonderful.... THANK YOU Miss Ruby Tuesday.

I'm Engllish.

I don't generally 'do' sentiment.

But, seeing your pictures above and your description as REALLY made my Christmas!! :ok:

Please stay around on PPRuNe and please carry on posting - we could do with more of your calibre on here :)

Sallyann1234
26th Dec 2008, 10:33
Well done Ruby!
I am sure you will treasure those wings, even when you receive your 'official' ones in a few years' time.
Do pop in from time to time and let us know how your studies and your artwork are progressing.
You are a star!

ThreadBaron
26th Dec 2008, 10:39
"Girl, I'm gonna miss you."

So, please stay around .... keep posting and keep drawing.

redsnail
26th Dec 2008, 11:20
Nice one :ok:

larssnowpharter
26th Dec 2008, 12:36
Ruby,

A well done to you on a day you will never forget!

Also a huge well done to BA and to Lynn for taking part in making a young person's dreams come true at this very special time of year.

I would only add that those of us who have the chance to do something similar in the future should reflect on this wonderful story.

Lars

BlueDiamond
26th Dec 2008, 13:31
Also a huge well done to BA and to Lynn for taking part in making a young person's dreams come true at this very special time of year.
Agreed! This story has a distinctly fairytale quality to it ... such a refreshing change for the cynical mob we can often be here in Jet Blast. How kind of Lynn and B.A. to help make young ruby's dream come true. Lynn ... if you are reading this thread, I hope you realise you will now be a hero to a few more people hereabouts. It was a lovely thing to do and I'm sure "ruby" has come away with memories that will last her a lifetime.

ruby ... please do keep posting here! :ok:

Stockpicker
26th Dec 2008, 13:37
It has to be said, well done BA - no harm in promoting such an inspirational story. The laurels go, I think, equally to Lynn and to Ruby - the one for breaking new ground to become a hero, the other for going the extra mile to meet her, and working hard to develop what is clearly an outstanding talent.

Keep in touch, Ruby!

merlinxx
26th Dec 2008, 15:16
Extremely well done Dear Lady, both you and Lynn are a superb example to all young folks who have feeling for art and aviation:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Keep up the art and plan the flying soon:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Shack37
26th Dec 2008, 17:41
What a cracking thread, only found it today and just finished reading the last post.

missrubytuesday..........truly amazing, thank you.

Lynn Barton................thank you for being instrumental in bringing mrt to PpRune.

prooners, especially jbers, well done you (normally) cynical old soldiers for helping to produce such a magic thread.

I feel like I've just been given another Christmas present.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
s37

clicker
26th Dec 2008, 18:20
What a lovely thread, well done to all.

MRT,

You are a young lady with exceptional qualities, I hope many more of your dreams will come true. :ok:

Jan McCall
27th Dec 2008, 05:45
Ruby, you are lucky to live in Australia where there is a long history of talented and adventurous women aviators. Nancy Bird comes to mind and the Flying Nun along with so many more. Many of them learned to fly in their teens and so can you. In Australia, you must be at least 16 years old (to fly solo, 17 years old to hold a Private Pilot License), speak English, and pass a basic medical exam.
You might want to check out Women with Wings Images of Australian Women Pilots, http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/pdf/education/teachersnotes/woman_with_wings.pdf (http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/pdf/education/teachersnotes/woman_with_wings.pdf).
Best of luck:)
Jan

PLovett
27th Dec 2008, 06:51
Earlier today I watched a TV program about a talented, articulate and intelligent young woman who recorded her life with terminal lung cancer. It made me profoundly sad to think that there are so many alive today who are a waste of air space when people like that young woman are condemned to an early death.:ugh:

This thread has gone a long way to restoring my spirits when I think of how the cynical lot that we normally are have responded to MRT and encouraged her to pursue her dreams in both aviation and art.:D

Perhaps there is hope for us all.:ok:

S'land
27th Dec 2008, 13:56
The youth of today are not so much different from when we were youths. The majority are normal decent human beings.

Youngsters like MRT will however rarely get publicity, except on/in places such a PPRuNe. It is good to see the outcome of her hard work. It is also good to see that BA decided to support MRT's meeting with her Heroine.

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2008, 21:53
I've just returned from spending Christmas with my grandson, so I've only just read Ruby's news.
I have to admit that I wept (with joy).
Thanks of course to Lynn (and/or Big Airways - and whoever made this actually happen). I suspect there are some who are 'regulars' here that might have helped.
Thank-you - you've also made me very happy . . .

isi3000
27th Dec 2008, 22:09
This is such a lovely thread and those drawings are amazing :eek:

Adz09
30th Dec 2008, 09:12
Unfortunately i cannot open these pictures. Anybody know how i can do so.
This is indeed a great story.
Well done MRT.

missrubytuesday
30th Dec 2008, 10:18
Many thanks everyone, all the best for the new year. I will hopefully be adding my 'current project' to this thread shortly, I hope to finish it soon.

;) Mrt.

missrubytuesday
31st Dec 2008, 13:02
Here is the next one, can you guess who it is? ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3471/3217033295_5fca2730dd.jpg?v=0

I started him on Saturday the 28th December and have finished him within the first hour of 2009. I have not spent every hour of the day drawing however I estimate this one to have taken a good 9-10 hours all up.

Hopefully this one will go to its 'rightful home' soon.

Mrt :zzz: (I need to sleep now!)

GroundedSLF
31st Dec 2008, 13:40
Hi Ruby - just read the thread - well done, supurb talent - Im thinking it good old WW himself:p

Have a happy new year - and continued success :D

angels
31st Dec 2008, 14:07
Excellent! So glad that the meet went so well, well done to BA for entering into the spirit of things.

Afraid I don't know who the person in the drawing is, but that doesn't mean it's not beautifully done!

Tis still 2008 here, so happy new year to all who look at this thread and marvel that it has survived the rough n' tumble of JB!

Keep coming back!

merlinxx
31st Dec 2008, 14:08
tis Little Paddy Willie Miss Ruby:ok::ok:

Foss
31st Dec 2008, 17:11
Willie Walsh.
Another brilliant one MRT. Have you got anyone doing crits on your drawings, someone you think is better than you, any creative criticism helps. You don't have to adopt it, but it may show up something you haven't considered. Also, have you tried caran d'ache?
The depth in that one is very good, from what I can see Ruby.
Keep it going.

missrubytuesday
1st Jan 2009, 03:56
It is indeed ;)

I usually show my art teacher who will always find something, and each drawing will pass an extensive panel of family and friends who will scan each line. I will no doubt continue to fiddle with him however, I will always find something to fix.

Foss
1st Jan 2009, 10:49
No fiddling Ruby. You've more chance of having a disaster with a corrective fiddle especially after the work you've put in.

It's great you've got your art teacher onboard as well as family and friends.
The next step, are there any art clubs, painting groups where you are?
Your art teacher might help you out with that. These can be good or God awful, but it wouldn't take up too much time at. However, they usually have shows a couple of times a year, or else people in the club would know someone who does, just contacts.
If you showed any art cub your stuff you'd blow them out of the water.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/Gfwfos/shooting_scene21new-1.jpg

Well, you've the nerve to put your stuff on, there's another of mine. ;) Although this has scanned badly, really. Pen and ink, watercolour.

missrubytuesday
7th Jan 2009, 07:29
Thats a very stunning peice of work Foss, the colours are beautiful and I love the expression you have given the man and his dog. The combination of the ink and pencils is magic!

I have not really looked into art clubs in our local area however I wouldn't mind trying to show some of my artworks in a Royal Agricultural show this year (ie, Sydney or Canberra royal junior sections)
My year 10 art teacher has been quite encouraging, she has agreed that I should continue with pencils for my HSC major works - which I have started to plan a few notions toward :8 I do hope I get her this year for Art, the other teacher is...well - horrid.

I must confess I did have a small fiddle with Willie's portrait the other day, smoothing a couple of areas and refining others. It does make a difference and I am happy with it now. I do hope to send it to him very soon as a small token of my appreciation.

I wish I could do more to thank the amazing people of PPRuNe, and beyond who have so far given such a wonderful sense of hope. It seems I have more than a just one heroine now ;)

P.S I hope to share a bit about my awesome day today soon.

BlueDiamond
7th Jan 2009, 08:43
P.S I hope to share a bit about my awesome day today soon.
We'll look forward to that, ruby!! :ok:

Foss ... another talented artist hiding amongst us!! That's lovely, it really is, it's so natural!

G-CPTN
7th Jan 2009, 12:39
I wish I could do more to thank the amazing people of PPRuNe,Your accounts of your meeting with Lynn and seeing your amazing sketches is thanks and reward enough for us.

Foss
7th Jan 2009, 13:09
Like what G-CPTN says Ruby, updates are brilliant, just keep at it.
Good stuff on the Royal Agricultural show, that would be good competition for you.
I'm not too familiar with your exam system, how long until your HSC major works?

missrubytuesday
9th Jan 2009, 23:31
I will begin my major HSC work at School at the end of this year, and continue it into next year - with the final exams being held in around October 2010 :uhoh:

I was very fortunate to receive an insight into the Air Traffic Controlling at Sydney Airport on Wednesday. It was an experience I never believed I could even dream of having, and my dad and I were amazed at the oppurtunity to learn more about the systems they use. Everyone was so helpful and kind, as well as very patient - we asked a few questions :rolleyes:.
The view was incredible, it was awesome to see a Singapore 747-400 take off on the main runway, certainly one of the many highlights.
Here are a couple of pictures from the day -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3441/3180901213_719eb0a879.jpg
This is the view from the top level of the tower, where the controllers...well control!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/3181733534_306cf29c07.jpg
This is the view from the balcony - a few floors below. It is crossing General Holmes drive.

Many thanks to everyone who made the visit possible, with a special mention to PPRuNe moderator tail wheel & pruner Howard Hughes :ok: Thankyou!

Mrt. ;)

CityofFlight
10th Jan 2009, 02:45
As mentioned before, your talent and poise will continue to open doors for you. And you couldn't have come to a better place for some influential people to recognize said gifts.

All the best to you Miss Ruby! :ok: You've won the hearts of many here.

Dan Dare
13th Jan 2009, 15:47
Richard Branson was so impressed with you that he had to go one better and name G-VXLG after you (perhaps in the hope of a portrait?).

http://i.pbase.com/u39/airlinerphotos/upload/34983268.1004_EU04_VS_400.jpg

Do stick around and remind us cynical old gits that there is a bright young generation out there to help provide a better future.

Howard Hughes
13th Jan 2009, 21:49
Is MRT really called the 'red cross'?:}

http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/3377.jpg

Now I see...;)

missrubytuesday
13th Jan 2009, 23:39
Thats my plane :cool:
My username is after the plane (G-VXLG) rather than the song by the Rolling Stones - A 747-400 of course.

I do have quite a few drawings to complete at the moment, however the holidays are providing the perfect time to get 'stuck into' just a few...

Mrt ;)

angels
14th Jan 2009, 07:05
Hmm. in with the ATCers eh Mrt??

Glad your father was with you.....:}

This thread gets better and better. Glad you had a good time and thanks to the Ppruners who helped make it happen. :ok:

missrubytuesday
22nd Jan 2009, 11:35
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/3217855406_0d64316e91_m.jpg

This is the photo that was printed in the 'BA News' recently, with an article on my whirlwind english assignment.
The general reaction from my family has been :eek: .. myself included.

My poor school friends will have no idea what has hit them on Tuesday...

Rt ;)

Foss
22nd Jan 2009, 12:05
Excellent MRT, brilliant. :D

lexxity
22nd Jan 2009, 17:07
Bloody Marvellous MRT. :ok: You are such a talented young woman and the whole thread is so inspirational. :ok:

Foxy Loxy
22nd Jan 2009, 18:05
Is there a link to follow to read the article? I'd love to! :ok:

G-CPTN
30th Jan 2009, 20:16
Ruby, YouTube - Airline - Jet Jockeys (Part 2 of 5) (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UGb9Uu5D4)
@ 3mins 57secs onward . . .

birrddog
30th Jan 2009, 21:34
And after that, look at

YouTube - First 747 into Terminal 5 Heathrow airport ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frRZy2rtAzY&feature=related)

Where Captain Barton gets honors of first aircraft to use Terminal 5.

Sallyann1234
30th Jan 2009, 22:00
I hope you also saw this thread, Ruby, about a home-grown pilot who may well be a hero of yours:
http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/357849-australian-aviation-pioneer-vale-nancy-bird-walton.html

missrubytuesday
7th Feb 2009, 06:05
Ruby, YouTube - Airline - Jet Jockeys (Part 2 of 5) (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UGb9Uu5D4)
@ 3mins 57secs onward . . .

YouTube - First 747 into Terminal 5 Heathrow airport ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frRZy2rtAzY&feature=related)

Thank you for those - the second link I believe was the same video I saw on Ninemsn news one night in March last year. That was the first time I heard of Lynn along with an article. It was not until September of the same year when I got wind of the assignment that I drew her...then as they say - the rest is history.

Just turned 16, year 11 is going along fairly well and I have just started another portrait. Hope everyone on here is having a great year so far.
Rt ;)

GroundedSLF
6th Mar 2009, 13:57
Hi Rubster,

Hope school is still going well, and that you are enjoying life - you really do have an amazing God given talent, and seem like a really well grounded person - good luck for the future, and make your dreams come true.

GSLF

missrubytuesday
14th Mar 2009, 09:07
I decided to give the two local shows in my area a try; by entering a few artworks in their pavilions.
I entered the portrait of Willie Walsh in the Robertson show last weekend (6 March) - he won the 'Youth Art Award', any subject, any medium (ie, paint, pencil etc)
I was a 1/4 way through a portrait I am sending to the Royal Easter Show in Sydney by then; so I had a thought to try and finish it before Moss Vale show - which is this weekend (14th). I managed (just) to get it to the show by Tuesday to be judged, along with Willie Walsh, a Plane and a drawing of a couple of cows I did for my dad as a Christmas present.

Willie Walsh won the 'Secondary School any subject any medium' class, as well as the 'most outstanding junior art exhibit'

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/3353318640_8a6be8816f.jpg

This is the portrait I finished the previous weekend. I had been hoping to draw her for some time; and finally had the oppurtunity, and of course the inspiration to draw her.

The 'Queen of the Skies'....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1160/3352491673_ec8c6e7432.jpg
She was the winner of the Open Portrait class, as well as winning the Most outstanding exhibit for the senior (open) art section.

More drawings for the thread :8 They are both so very inspirational to me so I have really enjoyed drawing them.

Rt ;)

Scrubbed
14th Mar 2009, 09:13
I propose we make this heart-warming thread a 'Sticky'... and let the religion, ocean races, limericks, phone calls whilst driving a merc or honda, unfinished sentences, global warming, hilarious tech log entries, aircraft carriers vs. lighthouses, etc etc slide down into oblivion. :ok:

Whirlygig
14th Mar 2009, 09:19
Whole-heartedly agree Scrubby. :ok:

Ruby, you have a wonderful talent for capturing the person in art. I hope your success contines and would love to see more of your work.

Cheers

Whirls

Foss
14th Mar 2009, 09:54
Looking good MRT, excellent stuff.
Keep it going. ;)

Roger Sofarover
14th Mar 2009, 11:19
MRT they all look very good indeed, are you taking commissions yet? Please let me know if you are.

BlueDiamond
14th Mar 2009, 11:54
Congratulations on your well-deserved success, ruby!! And Happy Birthday for your recent big day. Sixteen years old and such a bright future ahead of you!! Please do keep posting for us! :ok:

S'land
14th Mar 2009, 15:36
Wonderful MRT. Very well done indeed.

PS. Thirded for the sticky proposition. This thread is positive, unlike some of the others.

Shack37
14th Mar 2009, 16:22
Welcome back RT, great to see more posts from you. You're inspiring a lot of wrinklies here, keep it up.

s37

G-CPTN
14th Mar 2009, 16:48
My congratulations, young Miss, in achieving recognition for your art in the Robertson show 6 March.
This should be one of many such events where you can show them of what you are capable.
Well done!
Best wishes for the Moss Vale show this weekend.
Please keep us informed - we are so proud of you . . .

Out Of Trim
14th Mar 2009, 17:59
Wow, what an uplifting thread! :cool:

I don't know how I missed this before. Ruby, very well done; you have a great talent for Art and come across in a wonderfully natural way!

I loved all your drawings, please continue to show us your work.

Thank you.. :D

OOT.

V2-OMG!
14th Mar 2009, 20:29
I hope you achieve your aviation dreams, ruby. Capt. Barton and others are a great inspiration for female flyers.

Your portraits are exceptional for someone your age! :D
There are many pilot/writers, but a pilot/portrait artist opens up another fascinating sphere of creativity.

Can we look forward to a portraiture of famous female aviators, past and present?

Shack37
14th Mar 2009, 20:41
Your portraits are exceptional for someone your age!

I'm 64 (and a half) and I can't draw as good as MRT.

s37 (non artist):ok:

mocoman
17th Mar 2009, 00:08
If WW hasn't posted a closing bid on that sketch I'll be very surprised.

RT,
I've been reading this thread and can only bow down to your obvious talent, especially where facial or mechanical detail is involved.

To be perfectly frank, your talents would be wasted if you weren't sketching somewhere in the world. Please don't stop.

:D

CityofFlight
17th Mar 2009, 00:24
Your portraits are exceptional for someone your age!

I agree with Shack, your talent exceeds many adult artists, Miss Ruby. Keep posting your work. You have a fan club here! :ok:

Whirlygig
17th Mar 2009, 00:33
Ruby Tuesday's portraits are exceptional. Full stop. For any age.

Capt. Barton and others are a great inspiration for female flyers.
All flyers, I would have thought.

Cheers

Whirls

mocoman
17th Mar 2009, 00:56
No joke or sarcasm intended at all in this post.

In 30 years we'll all be wishing we had an RT original hanging in the drawing room.

(In fact I'd put one up there now....If I had space for a drawing area, let alone room)

Go for it!!
:ok:

CityofFlight
17th Mar 2009, 01:06
I agree, mocoman! :ok:

G-CPTN
17th Mar 2009, 01:13
Of course the drawing that started this thread is now in the possession of the subject Lynn Barton, so isn't available to Ruby to enter into her competitions (otherwise she might win more accolades).
Ruby's talent for drawing is truly amazing IMO (and most would agree I believe). Such works of art take time (her drawing of Lynn had several alterations and improvements).
As one (an engineer) who can only draw using a ruler I am truly in awe of those who can produce masterpieces such as those which we have been honoured to see here.
As mocoman has stated above, this young lady will, no doubt, become famous (one way or another) due to her formidable ability, and we (those of us that survive) will feel proud to have been 'involved' as spectators.
I would love to be around in thirty years, though I suspect Ruby will be (even more) famous much sooner than that. How long before she is piloting A380s (or whatever her chosen airline is flying)?

PS isn't it possible to produce 'prints' of original drawings? I'm sure some here would willingly pay good money for these. An edition of 100 (or even 250) could earn Ruby something with which to start her aviation training.
Just an idea . . .

mocoman
17th Mar 2009, 01:32
Oh Yes,

I'd be quite happy to pay top dollar for a limited print even though my heart yearns for an original.

Good plan Centurian....:ok:

airfoilmod
17th Mar 2009, 01:48
What awesome work. You are to be a Pilot? I will tell you a secret if you promise to keep it between you and I. I have flown with hundreds of pilots, both men and women. Women are the best, they are calm, patient and... gentle, just like your Artwork. All the Best, young lady.

Airfoil

BlueDiamond
17th Mar 2009, 02:32
In 30 years we'll all be wishing we had an RT original hanging in the drawing room.
Well I wish that now!! :(

Radar66
17th Mar 2009, 02:35
I think that the idea of prints is a fantastic one, and like others on here, would be honoured to pay for one, as much as I would prefer an original! :ok:

V2-OMG!
17th Mar 2009, 05:23
"....for someone your age" - just to clarify, I think ruby's potential is headed to the stratosphere, and that is very exciting.

I was just thinking of the "Eskimo" portrait on the empennage of Alaska Airlines. Wouldn't it be neat if we saw portraits of past aviators/aviatrixes on airline livery.....(done by ruby, of course!)

angels
17th Mar 2009, 11:35
Just nipping again to say well done RT and I'm in the market for an original!!! :ok: :}

Radar66
3rd May 2009, 08:36
My god Ruby! they are FANTASTIC! you really do have the most amazing talent - please carry on nuturing it. :)

I think that your art teacher was correct in taking you temporarily away from the portraiture style - it's good to have the ability to put your hand to any style of drawing :ok:

Please keep the pictures coming - I personally love seeing them. :D

BlueDiamond
3rd May 2009, 09:16
When I get a bit more time I would love to send you all a drawing
Good grief, woman are you trying to start a fight? I can just picture the disgraceful scenes as we all clamber over each other to be first in the queue. Handbags and umbrellas will be employed as weapons, hair will be pulled out by the roots, adversaries will be staggering along battered and bleeding as they try to claw their way back into first position ... the horror, the horror.

Stunning result once again, ruby, leaving us in no doubt whatsoever about your amazing level of talent. I'm certain you will do really well in the competition ... if not, just let your friends here know and we will be happy to go along and explain things to them ... very clearly! :E :suspect: :uhoh:

cockney steve
3rd May 2009, 14:51
Ruby, Your pictures really are superb....your "birds and snakes" composition is so intricate and alive.
As a decorative piece, it would have a huge general appeal.

I really do urge you to approach high -quality printers and think about a limited edition.....I'm sure you could "pre-sell" a goodly few here on Pprune,to finance the up-front costs.
Your portraits are astounding.-When I see some of the rubbish the likes of Emin and Hirst come up with, lauded as "art", I wonder where these so-called experts are coming from.

IMHO, your work is absoloute class and head and shoulders above theirs.
Congratulations on your well-deserved awards.....we can't all be wrong, so investigate prints please, for us impoverished people....it's not fair to keep them all at home :}

Foss
3rd May 2009, 18:02
Ruby, that is high quality gear you are producing, exceptional stuff.

G-CPTN
3rd May 2009, 19:20
And that is from someone with considerable artistic talent!

missrubytuesday
13th May 2009, 11:23
I met Lynn again in Sydney on the 9th - a Saturday evening. It was lovely to see her again; I also decided to give her the portrait of Willie Walsh (see page 6) to take back with her for him.
I hope that he too, will like the portrait. We all adorded it over here; I was a bit reluctant to hand it over!

The portrait of Patrick Gribbin, aka the 'Villain', has arrived safely in New Jersey recently as well. As both the Snakes & birds and Nancy Bird Walton are in the Youth art exhibition (The snakes were 2nd, NBW highly commended) I am currently 'artless' in my room. My walls are very empty indeed!

I do have a fair haul of work (thus no flying :ugh: ) however drawing is a form of 'escape' from schoolwork so if you would ever like a drawing; a portrait or a plane perhaps, with the black and white pencils or the coloured Derwents I would be honored to send you one.

The artworks of this thread have made me smile just as much as the people they were for. The drawings are like thank you cards that use pencil strokes rather than words to tell a story.

I will always remember everyone's kindness; and no matter how long it will take me I will make sure to return it someday. ;)

BlueDiamond
13th May 2009, 11:41
... however drawing is a form of 'escape' from schoolwork so if you would ever like a drawing; a portrait or a plane perhaps, with the black and white pencils or the coloured Derwents I would be honored to send you one.
That is an incredibly generous offer, ruby!!! Well, I'm going to be the first to stick my hand up for that and if you're okay with it, I'd love a piccy of a Tiger Moth ... otherwise I'm entirely happy to leave it to your discretion! :)

missrubytuesday
6th Dec 2009, 10:53
I really hope everyone is very well; and that life is treating you kindly!
I certainly have not fogotten, just stuck in a whirlwind of work. I am currently heading toward year 12. This means a significant shift in priorities, more assessments, and a major work for art.

All the very best, with warmest wishes from MRT.

Oop! Better pop another piccie on here.

A 'One World' Jumbo...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2800/4132391411_8f2960b38b.jpg

And a portrait...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4079593779_9e050cbc71.jpg
[Nov. 2009] A year since my first attempt at a portrait! Thank goodness I am a bit better and not worse, at least ;)

missrubytuesday
15th Dec 2010, 07:56
Well, whilst of course I do hope that there are still some followers of this thread, I have not posted here for such a very long time - I am suprised this thread still exists.
I thought I better post that my major work - of course focusing on BA; was nominated for ArtExpress - the exhibition of the best year 12 works; only to be sent back because of the subject matter. I had only just cleared copyright for the use of the logo from BA - a drawn out process that couldn't have been made much harder - nor could the response have been more misundertsood.
It seems a few Unions in Britain are not the only folks concerned with not really seeing much worth in BA.

So I believe I should probably ask if anyone would like any drawings of various BA aspects - I can always post photos. ;)

G-CPTN
15th Dec 2010, 08:48
A whole year since we heard from you, ruby!
I've wondered about you several times during that year - and how you are getting on with your drawing.
Thanks for coming back!

Is your flying progressing?

Foxy Loxy
15th Dec 2010, 13:16
Miss Ruby,
Hello again!
Did you ever hear whether Willie Walsh liked the portrait you did of him?

Sallyann1234
15th Dec 2010, 14:30
Great to hear from you Ruby!

That's sad about the copyright issue/non-issue, and so misguided of them. They lost the chance to consider and reward a fine piece of work.

Please let us see your 'major work of art' when it's finished.

Have a great Christmas!

missrubytuesday
16th Dec 2010, 05:41
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs602.ash2/155443_108919189176288_100001746214211_74639_4854196_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=42319&id=100001746214211)

I just picked it up from School - the Art Gallery sent it back, not agreeing with the BA idea.
I'll bet that it would have been hung in Britain - or alternatively - if I had done Qantas!

Firestorm
16th Dec 2010, 07:50
Missrubytuesday. You might be interested to get in touch with The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators in Australia, and tell them of you art and aviation passion.

https://www.gapan.org/australia/

I am sure that some of your pictures could be published in our magazine.

corsair
16th Dec 2010, 07:56
Nice portrait of Aiden O'Brien, he looks like his horse just lost the Derby by a short head.

Sallyann1234
16th Dec 2010, 12:05
Ruby,
I know you took your pen name from a Stones song but I can't help being reminded of the Beatles, who were famously rejected by the Decca record company before they were famous.
One day when you are a universally recognised artist, these ArtExpress people are going to seem just as foolish as Decca. :=

Lon More
16th Dec 2010, 12:42
Welcome back, MRT. Don't stay away so long next time.

I thought I'd put this in earlier, but have you tried the Guild of Aviation Artists (http://www.gava.org.uk/). I'm sure they'd be interested in your work.

missrubytuesday
27th Dec 2010, 01:10
Thank you Lon - I would be very interested in taking a look at that.
Thank you to Sally, Corsair, and Firestorm for your kind comments.
Foxy Loxy - I never heard from Willie Walsh; he may well have forgotten. I am not sure where that portrait ended up but I am most certainly not going to send the bigger one over!

And Dear G-CPTN, thank you again. Unfortunately with the HSC, three funerals and my parents divorce this year I did not want to ask to start my flying just yet. It was not the right time. I am saving madly now to start throughout next year. I am so determined to give this one decent shot. Flying to Adelaide for Christmas, and the dear captain letting me in to have a look at his "office' at the end of his flight - every little bit of inspiration only pushes me further.
Thus I owe this thread a lot and certainly will never forget it!

G-CPTN
12th May 2011, 20:04
Time, perhaps, to pen a portrait of Willie Walsh's successor, who, it seems has more compassion (having proffered an olive branch to the Cabin Crew which seems likely to end their dispute).

Who knows, maybe he will respond and offer you an invitation?

BBC News - BA strike: Airline and union agree to end dispute (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13373638)

British Airways chief Keith Williams's fresh start with crew - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8355702/British-Airways-chief-Keith-Williamss-fresh-start-with-crew.html)

BA chief meets union in bid to halt summer strike action | News (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23931270-ba-chief-meets-union-in-bid-to-halt-summer-strike-action.do)

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Keith%2BWilliams%2BShareholders%2BAttend%2BBritish%2BptTINWu iP55l.jpg

More here:- Keith Williams british airways - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=599&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Keith+Williams+british+airways&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=)

High flyer (http://www.financialdirector.co.uk/financial-director/feature/1744334/high-flyer-bas-keith-williams-revisited)

Keith Williams: BA (http://www.financialdirector.co.uk/financial-director/news/1933691/keith-williams-ba-s-nice)

tarantonight
12th May 2011, 23:05
Good luck in the future and with a name like that your parents must like their music....................................................... .....................:ok: