PDA

View Full Version : Where to do my ATPL

Mitton
23rd Sep 2008, 11:06
Hi All,
Wondering if anybody can help.
I have just completed my PPL in Nth London. I am enrolled in Bournemouth CFT ATPL full time ground school starting next week, however I am having second thoughts about the school. By virtue of the rumour mill I;m thinking about Oxford aviation First Officer Direct course - I meet the pre-requs and I'm going for the 2-day entry test 6 weeks into my ATPL ground school. They have told me I will have to sit the ATPLs again with Oxford. Should I cancell the Bournemouth approach and go with Oxford ? The course does not start until until Feb 09 - if so should I do some hour building in the states in the meantime ? A bit confused about the options can anybody offer some helpful advice ?
Regards,
James

chickentikkamasala
23rd Sep 2008, 11:48
Oxford is an excellent place to do your ground school, I wen't there a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The lecturers there were great. Not sure whether they still run separate atpl ground school there.

However read through some of the other strands on this forum about the state of the industry before committing large amounts of money at this time.

There is a school of thought about the merits of going down the modular route to give yourself some flexibility to try and time the end of your training for the upturn in the industry which I would say wouldn't be for another 2 years.

However no one has a crystal ball so it's your call.

If you really want to go down the Integrated route then I hear Oxford is a good place to train, as is Jerez.

If you want modular training then Stapleford is well respected.

If you decide to start the Oxford course in February then there is nothing stopping you buying some second hand oxford atpl manuals and start studying now while you are waiting.

I guess if you meet the pre-requisits for Oxford then you already have enough hours so I would advise only to do any extra hours from the UK for now.

Good luck.

Whirlygig
23rd Sep 2008, 12:18
Are you currently on a modular route? And thinking of switching to integrated? Doesn't make sense financially if you've already got your PPL and presumably have already paid for your groundschool at Bournemouth.

Cheers

Whirls

Leezyjet
23rd Sep 2008, 20:08
Depends on if you have a few extra grand kicking around to buy the same blue book you will get from Bournemouth for less, and really want to have to re-start the ATPL's again or delay your training (which might not actually be such a bad thing considering recent events).

However doing the ATPL's over winter would then mean you are able to carry on flying when the weather is better next summer, rather than starting ground school towards the end of Winter, being stuck in a classroom over Summer, then finishing it just as the weather gets bad again.

Sounds like you are being sucked in by Oxford's marketing b:mad:s.

:\

chickentikkamasala
24th Sep 2008, 09:33
Leezyjet you are so cynical. My post was not Oxford marketing. I was merely recommending a school because Mitton wanted some advice because he is having misgivings about the ground school. After all he is committing a large amount of money and it is important to get it right.

I would guess he has only committed to the ground school so far and not the whole package which is why he is still free to consider his options.

I think this strongly highlights the merits for the modular route which gives greater flexibility in when you can time your exit onto the job market and also leaves you free to choose the best places for ground school/Flying.
As long as you use one provider for the CPL/IR etc.

Mitton I hope this is of some help.

Mitton
2nd Oct 2008, 11:00
Cheers Masala,
Good to get some positive advice - tired of cynical chat - I guess familiarity breeds contempt - I know that from marketing FMCG.
I'll keep my options open for the time being - keep talking to people and make a semi-educated decision when the time comes (which is fairly soon), but I would like to go down the integrated path to be honest - some people including myself need a bit more structure and routine.
Appreciate the advice.
Regards,
Mitton