PDA

View Full Version : The Long Trek

ORAC
23rd Sep 2008, 08:54
All the way to Mars, last over 12 times your planned lifetime - then sent on an 11 km trek that will take.......2 years.

Good luck little fella. :{:{:{

Mars rover facing two-year trek (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7630617.stm)

acbus1
23rd Sep 2008, 09:04
12 times your planned lifetime - then sent on an 11 km trek that will take.......2 years

At "a Mars a day" that's a lotta Mars bars!

At least its a Mars rover (USA).

A Mars Rover (UK.....or ex UK till it went bust) wouldn't stand a chance.

Lets hope the Brits aren't involved, after the last flop.

tony draper
23rd Sep 2008, 09:06
Come come Mr ORAC, Opportunity is good honest American kit it moves in miles and feet not those dammed furrin kilo thingies.
:rolleyes:

Windy Militant
23rd Sep 2008, 11:13
Lets hope the Brits aren't involved, after the last flop.

Yes well beagle 2 was a bit of a set back, but I'll not have people casting nasturtiums on British space technology, I mean to say our first satellite Prospero is still up and still working. Well the radios still bleeping and they are still using it to take optical perturbation measurements. :}

Arm out the window
23rd Sep 2008, 11:19
11 k, 2 years, looking at rocks on the way - sounds like a lot of the drivers round where I live. Does it wear a hat and never use its indicators either?!

ORAC
23rd Sep 2008, 11:37
I think you'll find NASA switiched to using metric including kilometers in 1990, Mr D, and after the Mars Climate Orbiter, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter)severely frown on any subcontractors wot use Imperial.

tony draper
23rd Sep 2008, 11:59
Buggah! nobody tells me anything, so feckem, this anti matter drive I'm building forren is in feet an inches.:suspect::rolleyes:

er340790
23rd Sep 2008, 14:01
11kms in 2 years? It must be a Toyota Prius underneath.

Windy Militant
23rd Sep 2008, 14:23
I wonder if NASA fitted a sound system? I can imaging him rolling across the vast Martian landscape playing 'I would walk five hundred miles, and I would walk five hundred more........'
Whereas poor old Spirit would have to play 'I'm walking backwards to Christmas'
A splendid job by all involved I hope he makes it to his goal. :ok:

G-CPTN
23rd Sep 2008, 16:22
What if this vehicle should fall down one of the access shafts to the underground tunnels where the Martians live?

ORAC
23rd Sep 2008, 16:44
I wonder if NASA fitted a sound system? I can imaging him rolling across the vast Martian landscape playing 'I would walk five hundred miles, and I would walk five hundred more........' Or a Labour party election tape, "Vote for Labour! A vote for Labour is a vote for 5 more years of Gordon Brown!!"

Well, it's worth a shot. They're far more likely to pick up the odd vote up there than down here..... ;)