PDA

View Full Version : Flight Sims

Mr McGoo
11th Jan 2000, 16:47
Does anyone know of a good 767 flight simulator?

I'm not after a generic commercial flight sim, but one that replicates all the appropriate button pushing and switch flicking so that you can practice real procedures at home.

I've seen one for the 744 (supposedly written by a Lufthansa 744 skipper) and I was very impressed. Just wondering if there is a similar one around for the 767.

Cosmo
11th Jan 2000, 21:31
I assume you're refering to desktop simulators like FS98 (or FS 2000) but more realistic in terms of systems that are simulated. There's a new sim out called Fly!. It's a new program that is said to be the best so far in "normal" desktop sims. Haven't tried it my self yet so can't really comment. There's a commercial add on for this flight sim for the 757.

Follow these links:
Fly! homepage
http://www.iflytri.com/

and for the add-on
http://www.precisionmanuals.com/

Cosmo

jfe117
11th Jan 2000, 23:33
Fly! is v.good with the Precision Manuals 757 add-on. I think they are planning 767/777 later.
Took me nearly 1/2hr to get the damn thing started! I think nearly all switches/dials/knobs/panels & buttons etc, modelled.
There's 111 pages of procedures in the manual.
Let me know if want examples...

------------------
'I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it' - Voltaire

[This message has been edited by jfe117 (edited 11 January 2000).]

InFinRetirement
11th Jan 2000, 23:56
Suggest you go to www.avsim.com (http://www.avsim.com) >>>>Better yet Eric Ernst's own site www.flightsim.com/efpanels/ (http://www.flightsim.com/efpanels/)

Look in file library for panels and download Eric Ernst's 767 panel. It was developed to replicate the 76 so has o/head panel and all the switches on the panel work.

Make sure you download the manuals, they are large but give you the correct procedures. Best set up in FS98. While your there get a good 767 from Project Freeware.

You can practice IFR on this one.

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 11 January 2000).]

voidster
12th Jan 2000, 01:02
Magoo

For my money (and this may be the one you were referring to) is a 747-400 sim called PS1. http://www.aerowinx.com

For the price I don't think you can beat it. I am not a pilot but I know several who used it to assist with conversion to glass cockpit/FMC etc. There is a new version planned for release in a few months that has enhanced features such as TCAS,company options for engine configs etc.
There is one planned for the 73 and 76 but I think that's a couple of years off.

The Void

PPRuNe Towers
12th Jan 2000, 02:40
Time to move this over to the computing forum.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

Mr McGoo
12th Jan 2000, 04:38
Thanks voidster,
PS1 from aerowinx is the 744 version I have seen. I am looking for a 767 version that has the same functionality.

Bluenose
27th Mar 2001, 17:06
Hi all,

Well, after months of effort I now have my own machine at home. This weekend I managed to get my old copy of FS '98 and joystick from my little bro. Sorted. I'll be getting 2000 Pro and a decent flight stick with buttons/rudder/throttle etc. for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

Thing is, I was wondering if any of you knew where I could get some charts of the internet. I'm going to try a short flight from A to B doing it the right way, but cannot as of yet due to the lack of charts with navaids etc.. If anyone could help, I'd be chuffed.

Also, does anybody know how to fly around busy airports with other traffic? There is the option to turn traffic on but I haven't seen anyone. Where are they??!!

All the best,

Bluenose

carbheat
30th Mar 2001, 00:25
Bluenose,
hit the flightsim webring where you will find a huge list of amateur sites with all types of downloads to choose from.
For nav, download FS Navigator which is a great utility with world radio navaids,flightplanning, etc..
Also you can find SIDs and STARs for the major airports around the world,usually in PDF format:you just have to hunt around.
Happy surfing and flying!

ariel
22nd Apr 2001, 17:18
Hi all

Didn't know whether to put this topic here, or in the computers/internet section: Apologies if it's in the wrong place!

I've got the Microsoft 98 flight simulator - just the basic, with no add-ons.

Trouble is, I can't really get control over it just using the keyboard. I've heard that you can attach a joystick, and 'rudder' pedals to it, but my computer is a few years old now. It only has 64 mb of memory, a 2gb hard disk drive, and a celeron processor.

Saying that, it is configured for optimum use, and moves along at a reasonable rate.

Do any of you ladies/gents out there use this add on software? If so, is it any good?

any answers appreciated

ariel

StephenM
22nd Apr 2001, 21:20
MS Flight Simulator 98 should run fairly well on your system even though it is getting on a bit.

If you want to improve the performance of the game I suggest upgrading the memory to 128mb (cost you about £30-£40)

..or you could go out and buy a decent graphics accelerator card that uses up to date rendering and refreshing technology. (Will cost you anywhere from £50-£400)

On a final note MS Flight Sim 98 is not a flight Sim until you've bought a joystick - it is simply a must. Go out and part with some serious cash and do it properly.

A force feedback joystick would be a great add-on but a standard flight joystick with a throttle control is just fine.

Rudder pedals I don't know about - never used them or tried them so its unchartered territory for me.

Try www.cclcomputers.co.uk (http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk)

they are a decent company who offer goods at extremely competitive prices. They are based in Bradford but will deliver all over the UK. You can even buy online.

Hope this helps

LBM
22nd Apr 2001, 23:20
You don't need rudder pedals I have a "Logitech Wingman extreme" joystick which has a twist grip rudder built in, throttle also buttons for undercarrage & flaps, cost £35

tony draper
29th May 2001, 23:56
Sorry gents was going to post this on the thread about how sad flight simmers are ,but that thread has closed, just came across this,

By Matthew Barrows
Bee Staff Writer
(Published May 29, 2001)

Two years ago, a 24-year-old U.S. Navy ensign from Maryland named Herb Lacy stunned his flight instructors when he earned a near-perfect score the first time he flew a plane.
Lacy's secret: a computer game.

He had familiarized himself with the Navy's T-34C training aircraft by logging nearly 50 hours on a game by Microsoft called Flight Simulator.

The Navy was so impressed with Lacy's preparation that the game the ensign picked up for about $50 is now part of the training regimen for young pilots at the naval air station in Corpus Christi, Texas.

As the Navy discovered, video and computer games aren't just kids' stuff anymore.

The technology is more sophisticated, the images more lifelike, and games once limited to the playroom are finding their way into the classroom, the medical training room and police proving grounds.

Ask California State University, Sacramento, senior Chris Barnett about the potential of video-game technology, and he'll tell you the sky's the limit.

For his final computer science project this spring, Barnett and three other students linked Microsoft's Flight Simulator with realistic cockpit controls from LAS, a Cameron Park company that designs flight-training devices.

Barnett said Flight Simulator usually is played with a computer keyboard, but its value for pilots soars when paired with actual controls -- in his case, controls for a Boeing 737.

"A pilot isn't going to be flying the plane with a keyboard," Barnett said. "So we had to figure out how to connect Flight Simulator with LAS hardware. We were basically the middleman."

The project earned the four students top grades in their class, and job offers from simulation-software companies are starting to pile up.

For Barnett, there was an added bonus:

"I've always wanted to get my pilot's license," he said. "In order to fly the Flight Simulator for the project, I really had to get familiar with the controls."

Patrick Lyons, of LAS, said aviation enthusiasts, flight schools and airlines are interested in flight simulation because the real thing has grown so expensive.

"Fuel prices make practice flying cost $150 to $200 an hour," he said. "Simulation is a much cheaper way to weed out pilots. For a fraction of the cost, you can cover the same type of training on the ground."

From takeoff to landing, flight-simulation software available today also has become remarkably realistic.

The latest version of Flight Simulator -- due this winter -- allows aspiring pilots to fly into thousands of airports worldwide, includes chatter from air-traffic-control operators and has details right down to glare off the chrome of the engine.

"The amount of detail is stunning," said Darryl Saunders, a Microsoft product manager and a pilot with 25 years of experience. "You're going to be able to understand how the whole process works from beginning to end."

Sorry if this has been posted before, it just seemed pertinent to that thread.
There semed to be a awful lot of hostility to a harmless pastime like flight sims. ;)

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited 29 May 2001).]

A Very Civil Pilot
25th Jun 2001, 00:42
Can anyone recomend a good flight sim for day to day IFR handling. Main reasom being that at work it's usually AP and GNSS at 1000'. I tried a bit of NDB tracking the other day and was all over the airway. Useful to have a bit of currency for the OPC/LPC

buster172
25th Jun 2001, 03:10
I have heard x-plane is an excellent IFR simulator. Very good flight models and very smooth on most machines.

Elite also do some IFR sims.

Try flightsim.com for some reviews and info

Hope this is some help

VTOL
28th Jun 2001, 19:04
I can definitely recommend x-plane. Some of the best flight models and nav data to be found and numerous upgrades/addons available from the 'net.

Check out

www.x-plane.com (http://www.x-plane.com) - Home page
www.x-plane.org (http://www.x-plane.org) - User group with downloads, hints,tips atl.

Hope this helps,
VTOL

ACARS
3rd Jul 2001, 21:32
Flitepro works for me. Together with Sim charts its excellent trainer. Only three aircraft to chose from. Must have a joystick, preferably a yoke. You need to tweak the sensitivities to get control semi-realistic. Adequate demo can be found at;

www.flitepro.com (http://www.flitepro.com)

nosefirsteverytime
19th Mar 2002, 03:56
Alrighty, after an incorrect posting of topic on Nostalga, here's the run-down:. .. .I posted suggesting a flight sim forum might be a good idea on PPruNe, considering their potential usefulness in training, route planning, gaining experience in not-too-plentiful aircraft makes etc.. .. .The ever-clearway-pointing PPruNe Pop then posted:. . </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> Be assured that Danny will not subscribe to a flightsim forum. There are plenty of sim sites that you can go to and, therefore, PPRuNe will not serve it's readers by offering one more. However much they may interest some, which is a small majority.. .. . </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">And I said that was OK by me, but if hypothetically, there WAS one, it'd be populated only by those serious about aviation, either having or training for a money-earning living from aviation.. .. .Well, to continue on, I'd just like to ask, is there any flight sim place out there only for the serious aviator, and not just spotty teenagers with no interest in getting a job in aviation?

Golden Monkey
20th Mar 2002, 22:07
Not sure.. .. .The ever over-subscribed flightsim.com does seem to have the odd article by pilots comparing some product or route flown with their "real" experiences, however.. .. .Although I don't think it has a forum like this one.

lamer
20th Mar 2002, 23:41
<a href="http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi" target="_blank">http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi</a>. .. .<a href="http://aerowinx.de/forum.cgi" target="_blank">http://aerowinx.de/forum.cgi</a>. .. .<a href="http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi" target="_blank">http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi</a>

Kefuddle_UK
13th Oct 2002, 09:30
Guys,

What is the general view on PC based flight sims as training aids? How can I make the most of some like MS Flight Sim throughout my training?

Any recommendations for software that can be a real aid?

Thanks in advance,
Kef.

jonathang
13th Oct 2002, 14:57
The acutal flying is nothing like it which I am sure you guessed.

But can be quite helpful with Radio Navigation,
VORs and ADF.

Well assuming the frequencies are correct and the beacons are in the correct place :)

Kefuddle_UK
13th Oct 2002, 16:01
You guessed right :) For sure the flying it self is not real. But the procedural aspects must be identical? I think I am actually asking if it is possible to develop the right habits in a similar functioning yet completely different environemt that is a PC based flight sim.

Have any IR holders actually found this kind of home practice useful or just a distraction?

PickyPerkins
13th Oct 2002, 17:27
I used it a lot early on while doing my PPL, and found it very useful. However, later on in the the PPL process I also found I was getting rather casual about crashing, and severly limited its use after that. Has anyone else experienced this?

MikeSamuel
13th Oct 2002, 19:20
Don't know about the crashing bit, but I used a PC flight sim around the time I first flew in the circuit, and it really messed up my landing technique. Stopped using the sim and it was fine again, and I soloed pretty soon afterwards. The home computer ones are good for a bit of fun I guess, but shouldn't be used too seriously...

Pub User
13th Oct 2002, 21:30
I used FS2000 when I was doing my IR to help learn the local procedures, and found it helped quite a lot. You have to try to be fairly disciplined in terms of identifying all beacons and such like.

It's absolutely nothing like flying, so using it to practice aircraft handling is pointless, but you fly can IFR procedures from the actual plates, so it's as real as you want it to be.

The beacons all seem to be in the right places, but some of the morse idents are wrong, but that's good practice too.

P.Pilcher
14th Oct 2002, 07:47
I can only speak from the instructional viewpoint: In the mid 80's, when the IBM P.C.was relatively new, I was ground instructing far from the U.K's shores. I had a colleague who had no flying experience but was involved with teaching our (military) students all about computers. We were not allowed to fly there, but he started to get interested so I lent him a copy of the old FS2 for the IBM P.C. He practiced assiduously every lunchtime and after about six months, when on leave I suggested he try the real thing. Within about five minutes of airborne experience in a C152 he was able to fly it like he had had about 3 or four hours of instruction. Then, in another fully equipped aircraft, he demonstrated that flying V.O.R.radials was no problem and we finished the detail by him flying an ILS down to 200 feet with no interference of any kind from me!

A few years later the I.M.C. syllabus was upgraded to include ILS and ADF approaches and increased to 15 hours training to cope. I always found that with 15 hours training students could only just get up to the standard required. However if, when they started, you suggested that they got a flight sim program for their computer, their standard in 15 hours training approached that of the I.R.

These days flight sim software is much more sophisticated thus I expect that when used for procedural training, even higher standards should be attainable. After all, how do those competitors on the Krypton Factor sometimes manage to fly B737's and so on so faultlessly?!

Bagelman
14th Oct 2002, 14:47
I used Jep Flite Pro leading up to my IR. Found it very usefull, it helped me become familiar with the prcedures and plates that I was likely to fly during the test. Also, it helped me increase my multi tasking capacity and my ability to look at the 'big picture'. As for using it at PPL level, good fun hooning around the skies trying to do barrel rolls on the ILS and such. Personally I think it would have led me to concentrate too much on the instruments and not fly visually.

14th Oct 2002, 15:43
I'm rotary.
There is one recent development which may make PC simulators of value in the X-country part of PPL.
There is new add on scenery available for FS 2002 which is actual photographs from 2000'. Not generated but real photos.
Get it from RC simulations.
I wish it had been around when I did my qualifying VC - maybe I would not have got lost.

kopbhoy2
15th Oct 2002, 15:23
They're good fun, and can be useful for some things - e.g. when I was doing my stall training I really messed it up first time (incipient spin, yukk) so I went home and nailed the procedure on FS for about a week...following weekend my stall recoverys were perfect :)

However it does lead to both a false sense of security - it really does make a Boeing 737 seem so easy! - and laziness in my case - autopilot on, let the a/c fly itself etc...

However, as has already been said here, more than one instructor has commented on how useful the navaids are & how you can set it up for approaches, holding points & other IFR scenarios.

goates
15th Oct 2002, 22:59
You should take a look at X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com). It's been certified by the FAA for use in some full motion flight simulators, and some smaller aircraft companies use it for testing their designs.

Carrier
18th Oct 2002, 16:58
I am planning to buy a new computer that will enable me to practice IFR procedures and would prefer to remain with Mac. Several instructors and DFTEs have recommended this and have suggested Flight Simulator 2002. I recall last year seeing in print that FS2002 would be released in a Mac version, since when nothing seems to have happened. Has anyone heard of a planned release date for the Mac version of FS2002?

As an alternative, I have heard that X-Plane, which is developed on the Mac, is also very good. However, I have not been able to track down a demonstration or a pilot who actually uses it. Is X-Plane as good as FS2002 for practising IFR procedures and does it have all the major airports worldwide, complete with every ILS, VOR, NDB for practicing approaches?

I will appreciate your comments.

A320_Murray
18th Oct 2002, 17:16
Hey,
If you are going for IFR Procedures, got for Fly!II!! Advanced cockpit simulations! www.iflytri.com and if you want a really good 757 or 777 got www.precisionmanuals.com! The 757 and 77 are highly realistic with FMC/Overhead/everything really...
And it works ont he Mac!! Haven't heard of a Mac version of FS2002!!
Regards,
Matthew

cumulusse
3rd Apr 2003, 11:02
dear all

could anyone help in finding an up to date sofware and ads-up,at the present I have FLY2K and B737-500 ads-up excellent graphics but very hard to use properly...

many thanks..

cormacshaw
8th Apr 2003, 10:53
Forgive the intrusion of a non-pilot. I may be way off here as I don't know what you mean by an 'ads-up' but if you are looking for a replecement for fly2k you could have a look at http://www.x-plane.com and see if that does what you need. You can ask questions about it on the forums here - http://www.x-plane.org

timmcat
8th Apr 2003, 20:00
You might like to look at this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85233) thread..

Tim

HeliTigg
25th Aug 2003, 21:22
I want to get a copy of Microsoft Flight sim. I would go straight out and buy 2004 but for the fact that i think i may lose out due to my computer. I've got a 1GHz processor (not normally a problem), but i've heard there can be problems running 2004 on a 'slow' system!

Should i just go and get it anyway, or will i find my computer a real hinderance! Upgrading the computer will not really be an option as its a laptop. I'm considering putting a desktop together anyway, what price would i be looking at if i wanted to run flight sim 2004 with no probs at all???

Cheers

Tigg

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Aug 2003, 22:25
Tigg,

The CPU is just one step of the equation. Please tell us which motherboard, Video Card, amount of RAM, and Operating System you have.

Take Care,

Richard

18-Wheeler
25th Aug 2003, 22:32
Give www.x-plane.com a try.
It'll run on fairly low-spec machines okay (I run it just fine on a ~three year old P3-600 laptop with a 32meg video card) and it flys a lot better than FS.

timmcat
25th Aug 2003, 22:40
Think you might find this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99534) thread of use.

Tim

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
25th Nov 2003, 21:55
Does anyone know if there are any half decent pc based simulator programs that simulate 'adf dip' in turns?

any help appriciated

Capt. Inop
26th Nov 2003, 09:43
Well, i haven`t tried any of those myself, but a quick search on google braugth up those:

for FS 2002: http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/

http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/efpanels/

And for FS 2004: http://www.precisionmanuals.com/

;)

goates
27th Nov 2003, 00:53
You should take a look at X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com) as it is a pretty good flight sim. If it doesn't have what you are looking for, the program author seems to be more than willing to add features requested by users.

goates

Wrong Stuff
27th Nov 2003, 06:19
According to the X-Plane website the latest version does include ADF dip. I've downloaded the demo version and the effect is negligable in normal flight - nothing like the real aircraft :-(

Stan Evil
30th Nov 2003, 22:36
Although it's not a true flight sim, RANT XL certainly has dip plus tutorials etc about what it is. You can get a demo free from www.oddsoft.co.uk

ratsarrse
1st Dec 2003, 03:17
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is ADF dip?

Keef
3rd Dec 2003, 07:40
Like Compass Dip, but with the ADF.

Stan Evil
5th Dec 2003, 02:54
ADF Dip

In some ADF installations the ADF needle 'dips' towards the low wing in turns. This effect is most noticeable when flying directly to or from a beacon (both head and tail dip in the same manner, depending whether you're tracking to or from) and is zero when the statrion is on the beam. Dip is typically a maximum of around 10°. Whether you get dip or not depends on the antenna; old fashioned 'towel-rail' antennas are dip free but the small Bendix King antennas using the 'Bellini-Tossi' system that you'll find on most spam-cans suffer from dip. It's just one more thing to cope with on the IRT!

BigEndBob
5th Dec 2003, 21:49
From my experience dip is of such a random nature the programmers probably didn't bother adding it.
At the club i used to work we had two warriors.
One aircraft had the adf loop under the belly between wings, this gave loads of dip ( i think the wing blanks off the signal) and the other under rear fuselage clear of the wings, resulting in no dip.
Also rarely seen any dip in Cessna but loads in Senecas.

Ekiam
24th Nov 2005, 20:18
Hello,
I am thinking about getting myself a new laptop, but I'll have to be able to fly the sim on it as well. Can anyone give me any advice on what I should be looking for? (can't exactly afford the fanciest and newest invention)
Thank you....;)

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
24th Nov 2005, 21:05
Dell.

Pure and simple.

AirRabbit
24th Nov 2005, 21:35
Hi Ekiam:

I guess I’d want to know what you meant by your statement that you would “…have to be able to fly the sim on it…” and, what you mean by “…the sim…” before I could give you a really good answer. For example ....

If you’re talking about programming that can be verified as accurate and one that contains the operation of the aircraft systems and such, I would think that almost any laptop/notebook computer would fill that need. Keeping abreast with and understanding as many of the nuances of an aircraft’s systems is always a good idea and can be a somewhat pleasant way of spending a long lay-over in a less-than-desirable location. But, you note that I said, “can be verified.” From where did the programming come? How do you know that what this program will present is accurate? If you don’t know these answers, how do you know that what you’ll see is worth the effort and the cost? Keep in mind that in the aircraft, systems work together. If the computer is programmed to represent a lot of single systems – they very likely will not be integrated and therefore, more than likely will not replicate what goes on in the aircraft. Also, some of these programs are generated from information provided by “pilots” who have provided their “expertise” as to the operation of the systems – at least the way they understand them.

The reason I go into this in such detail is that I know there ARE software programs for aircraft systems operation that are taken directly from the FAA/JAA approved flight simulators that can and do run on personal computers – either desk top or laptop/notebook. That is the kind of software you would want (I would think) and not some kluged-together representation. After all, you might be placing yourself at the mercy of the accuracy of those providing the information if you ever wind up flying that particular aircraft type. Secondly, I wouldn’t spend any money (read that as “zero”) on a laptop or notebook that you think may sharpen your piloting skills. Trust me that is just not going to happen. If you’re interested, I can go into the details of this, but suffice it to say – don’t waste your money.

Of course, if you’re only interested in “flying the sim” and seeing how well you can land your “B747” on the aircraft carrier deck, or see if you can complete an Immelman Turn and a Split S, and then safely land on the runway, all with all engines failed … there are a lot of forums available where I’d bet you could get a good answer.
________
AirRabbit

5711N0205W
25th Nov 2005, 11:21
IMHO ;) for graphic options for gaming (if that's what you are looking for) I'd avoid the Dell and go for one of the Sony Vaio range, more expensive but then you do get what you pay for.

youngskywalker
25th Nov 2005, 14:55
I just exchanged my desktop Pc for a new HP notebook, cost £699 from john Lewis, runs Ms flt sim 2002 at the highest detail and perfectly fast enough graphic rate. Not the most high spec notebook but for the price I think not bad. And small enough to take away on stop overs.

Specs are:

1.5ghz
80GB hard drive
512 ram
14" bright screen
wireless etc...

Have not yet tried the 2004 flight sim, but then the 2002 version has everything I could need for the moment.

h1tman47
2nd May 2006, 00:06
Hello All,

I'm currently looking to buy an airbus A320 add-on for FS2004. So far i've come across 3 products;
1) Fly the Airbus Fleet by Abacus
2) A320 Pilot in Command 2004 by Aerosoft Germany
3) Airbus - Holiday Destinations by Aerosoft Germany

I already own the A320 Pilot in Command software by Wilco publishing.However, it was quite frustrating getting it to work because that particular software had lots of bugs and unresolved issues. For example, I'm still unable to turn the knobs to tune the radios and nav-aids.

Hence why i'm looking for a new simulator software. The features i am particularly interested on are the 2D cockpit view and compatibility with FS2004. So if anyone out there has used these products or know about them, I would much appreciate any feedback (both good and bad) you might have.

Thanks,
h1tman47

bjkeates
2nd May 2006, 00:52
I can't speak for those three, but I also suggest you have a serious look at A320 Professional by Phoenix Simulation Software (available from JustFlight.com. or downloadable directly from Phoenix.) 2D cockpit is good, with high-resolution panels and plenty of buttons to play with. With regards to FS2004 - I bought it shortly before FS2004 was released and there were compatibility issues, but there is a patch downloadable from both vendors (depending on who you buy the original product from) which solves these issues. Overall it's a very good product.

Martin4
3rd May 2006, 21:23
bjkeates is right, PSS A320 is great, very nice to hand fly on approach and the MCDU is pritty good quality and easy to work :ok:

Also if you like boeing, try there new 777, the panel's on that are some of the best if seen!

G-ALAN
4th May 2006, 14:55
Another vote for Phoenix A320 Professional. It's a top class sim with hours of fun to be had (much to the annoyance of Mrs G :} )

planecrazy.eu
4th Aug 2006, 13:41
Does anyone know what flight sims, if any are CAA/JAA Approved? I was just looking a sim provider website and they use FS2K4 and says its FAA Approved. I wasnt aware FS2K4 was, but maybe it is?

waveydavey
4th Aug 2006, 14:08
X-PLANE is FAA approved- as long as it's used in a full motion simulator. You can get a full motion simulator for a snip at $150,000. I don't think PC world stock them though.

planecrazy.eu
4th Aug 2006, 19:20
Bargain compared to some of these other companies, £10 Million i heard for a 6 Axis B737.

X-Plane looks the Job, i am downloading a Demo of it right now.

I take it FAA certs come when the Dynamics are as good, or close to the real thing. I am just currious how far out is MS FS2004? It feals pretty real but i have only had a few hours in a real plane so i cant really tell.

I had a look at flight-gear simulator too, seems a little basic though?

No Mate!
4th Aug 2006, 19:22
To be honest, nothing is as real as the real thing.

jay_hl
4th Aug 2006, 22:32
Bargain compared to some of these other companies, £10 Million i heard for a 6 Axis B737.

Not that I have a spare 10 mill but can anyone point me in the direction of any companies that sell motion simulators. Cant hurt to have a look ?:ugh:

Oh yeah, I you can add a website link that will be a bonus!! :)

Thanks

waveydavey
5th Aug 2006, 00:14
http://www.flightmotion.com/

aidanf
18th Oct 2006, 12:17
Anyone know if there's any good flight sim available for the Mac? At this stage I'd even take a flight game to dawdle the odd hour away when needed!

AppleMacster
18th Oct 2006, 13:51
The one and only:

X-Plane (http://x-plane.com/)

A great simulator with excellent and accurate flight dynamics, lots of aircraft to download from a thriving community and for the bold, a 57Gb world scenery pack!

Keygrip
19th Oct 2006, 12:04
I'm NOT a great game player and dread the thought of "shoot-em-up" XBox (or whatever) games - BUT I have just taken delivery of a decent size (42") LCD flat panel, widescreen, HDTV.

It did make me wonder if there is a decent flight sim producer to plug into it that I could use for practising with - not playing with.

Couple of points - I do have a very low powered laptop permanently wired to the TV (for internet radio use) but doubt that it would be powerful enought to run a decent program (700mHz processor, 512 RAM) - and do not really want to buy a full blown PC to replace it just to fly the odd ILS and NDB approach....so I'm wondering about a purpose bought sim machine, not just another PC.

I'm also wondering if the TV itself would handle the graphics required to run such software reasonably.

Any thoughts?

Conan the Librarian
19th Oct 2006, 16:59
Those more seasoned than me, will no doubt advise further, but MS FlightSim is and always has, had something of an appetite for hardware. What about getting an older version of Flightsim though? FS98 or 2000 would find that processor and RAM config to be high end performers in their own day.

Conan

20th Oct 2006, 16:34
You can get a repackaged MS Flight Sim 2002 for £8 at Amazon (and probably other places too.) I think your laptop may be just about good enough. It's not the processor speed that matters so much as the graphics card, and laptops usually don't have particularly fast graphics cards. But if it's too slow for FS2002 then you've only lost the price of a couple of beers.

Keygrip
20th Oct 2006, 19:04
Good thinking guys - I already have FS2000 (and 2002?).

I'll have a bugger about when I get back back.

Craggenmore
20th Oct 2006, 20:35
http://www.aerowinx.de/

http://www.aerowinx.de/html/simulator.html

PC Requirements

- Intel Pentium PC or 486DX66 with VGA monitor and CDROM drive.
- MS-DOS 5.0 or higher, or Windows95, 98 or ME.
- 40 MB free hard disk space, and 535 kB free conventional memory.

Optional:
- Analog joystick, rudder, throttle with IBM compatible joystick adapter.
- Sound Blaster compatible sound card (click here for more info).

No real processor use and just like the real thing...