PDA

View Full Version : Another Irresponsible CASA Copout?

Dark Knight
23rd Sep 2008, 01:53
Australia's aviation watchdog says checking engineers' credentials would be an inefficient use of resources, following the conviction of a man who used fake documentation to dupe Qantas into giving him a job.
A CASA spokesman today said that, although the authority is responsible for issuing licences, it does not check them on a regular basis.
"We don't have any processes ourselves for checking engineers' licences, but we don't need to because it's incumbent upon the employer," he said.
"We issue the licences, but licensed engineers don't operate within a vacuum. They operate in an open environment, whether it be a big company like Qantas or small maintenance operation, and they're the ones with the knowledge of their workforce.
"It wouldn't be a sensible use of our resources to [check licences]. In 10 years I've never seen anything like this."

Substitute `Pilot’ for engineer.

Within less than 30 minutes, using todays home computers, one can `create’ a more than credible pilots licence, Record of Flight Crew Ratings and current Medical Certificates (though giving the task to a most high school kids would result in a more professional result) necessary to satisfy an airline operator.

If CASA fails to conduct checks how would they know how many suspect licences are out there?

Overseas experience shows there is more than a little logbook `Bic’ time around?

False Medical Certificates have been detected here in the past.

Was all the CASA spokesperson able to get right was the word `inefficient”?

DK

smiling monkey
23rd Sep 2008, 02:27
CASA has a license verification process for flight crew licenses for a cost of $50. This is often required when you work overseas and the foreign country's civil aviation department you're working in requires a license verification check. If they can do this for pilots' licenses, why can't they do it for engineers?

T28D
23rd Sep 2008, 03:48
They didn't do any checking on Hempel.

j3pipercub
23rd Sep 2008, 04:10
'Bic' time, nah that's for cheapskates, try Parker hours, they look much more professional. :}

Have an anonymous friend that renews his own ASICS using a printer capable of reproducing fantastic ffffforgeries!

j3

Lasiorhinus
23rd Sep 2008, 05:55
If I email you a photo of my dog, can your friend print an ASIC for him?:E

sprocket check
23rd Sep 2008, 06:36
Yeah, my dog wants one too. He's been howling at me for ages.

My brother in law is part of the fraud squad, according to him the cost of going after forgers is astronomical, they do everything from passports to drivers licences, security IDs, car park access cards, anything. The technology is cheap and easy to get. I don't think there are too many in aviation that do it, if they do, poor airmanship, really. ASICs should be scrapped.

sms777
23rd Sep 2008, 08:16
Forget the dog... I want one for myself!
I am sure it would be quicker than getting one from CASA :E

SIUYA
23rd Sep 2008, 21:34
Lasiorhinus and sprocket check..........

I don't think your dogs wouldn't be the first to have their mugshots on an airport ID card. Seem to remember that Paddy, who was one of the tarmac 'terriers' at the old Flight Facilities in the 70's at Sydney, had a photo of a black labrador on his ID card.

The dog was better looking than Paddy, too! :8

gadude
24th Sep 2008, 00:35
SMS777 not only faster to get but also most likely a lot cheaper:ok:

RadioSaigon
24th Sep 2008, 01:37
Back on topic...

I don't believe this is a CASA cop-out at all. They are, in this case, the licensing issuer -as they are for pilots. It is IMO always incumbent on the employer to check that the qualifications presented are appropriate, valid and belong to the individual presenting them. If necessary (and where any doubt or suspicion exists) those qualifications claimed may need to be checked with training organisations, previous employers or CASA (the regulator).

Socket
24th Sep 2008, 03:10
Why can't CASA put up a section on their website for employers or anyone for that matter to check on Licences ( Pilots and Engineers). No need for any more detail than Name-Licence number-ratings held and expiry date.

If you can check on Rego's, AOC's and CofA's, seems obvious that licences should be just as transparent.:confused:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
24th Sep 2008, 03:44
I'm with Radiosaigon on this one.

djpil
24th Sep 2008, 03:55
I keep saying that we can learn a lot from the way that the FAA does things. Their Airman Database (http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass*107673088!_h-www.landings.com/_landings/pages/search/certs-pilot.html) is searchable. Despite the note about only having those with current medicals I found my own details there.

Some-one in another thread mentioned the AIM, another of my favorite topics.