PDA

View Full Version : Booting out from AOL (UK)

jetfueldrinker
23rd Jun 2001, 13:39
When I log on, sometimes the screen goes blank for a moment, then my computer reboots, or on other occasions, the computer freezes up and I have to reboot it manually, (or by foot, depending on how frustreatd I feel). Can anyone out there in Pprune land give me any insite to this problem? AOL tell me that it is a problem with my computer, but the computer company tell me that it is a problem with AOL, and I am left piggy in the middle. I know that other AOL users suffer from the same sort of problem, but it is now beyond a joke.

I have a computer built by a local firm, Win95, 300mhz processor, 64meg ram and 6gig hard drive. Any usefull ideas would be appreciated.

AOL is my only ISP. I am considering transfering to NTL. Does anyone know if they suffer from the same sort of problems?

Yours in Pprune Juice

JFD

HugMonster
28th Jun 2001, 19:18
Hi, JFD.

AOL have some serious problems with their software. Actually, that's not quite correct. AOL's users have some serious problems with their software.

I, and several others I know, have tried AOL, and having tried it, got rid of it at the first possible opportunity.

[personal opinion=ON]
They are dishonest in their marketing, they'll try anything and everything to keep their users, their software stinks and it doesn't do half what is actually possible on the net.
[personal opinion=OFF]

My brother in law tried ntl and didn't like it - he needs internet access for his job, and found too many probs getting connected, or slow access times once on.

I now use btinternet. The phone deal is excellent, pay £20 per quarter for unlimited internet access, plus free evening and weekend local calls. You only use standard software instead of being limited to one manufacturer's software, etc. etc.

To be brutal, your machine sounds a little primitive. The upside of that is that there are unlikely to be hardware problems in it causing the sort of hassles you describe.

My advice would be to dump AOL, sign up with a decent ISP, and rebuild your hard disk, starting from a full reformat. That will (a) get rid of all AOL software and (b) sort out any other possible conflictions that may be causing your current problems.

18-Wheeler
29th Jun 2001, 04:22
Settle down!
AOL is the second best ISP I've ever used.

------------------
Motion coming on!

18-Wheeler
29th Jun 2001, 15:32
Can't wait for someone to fall for it ...

"Who's the best then?"

"EVERYONE else!"

:)

------------------
Motion coming on!

Boss Raptor
29th Jun 2001, 16:19
I am on a bog standard 64K Ram laptop - Windows 98 (not SE) - have run both AOL 5 and now AOL 6 without probs - true AOL 6 sometimes 'loses the plot' like most programs and I end up re-booting, but not often - I have found however that my AOL 6 installation likes a well defragged disk (once a week say...) or it starts to play up...

jetfueldrinker
30th Jun 2001, 00:28
Thanks for the replies so far. HugMonster, do you have shares in BT? The reason that I am considering using NTL is the telly and phone deal that is on offer. I also have never formatted the hard drive in nearly 3 years of use. Perhaps it might be a good idea; and may also get rid of the rubbish that the kids have polluted MY computer with. Yes my computer is primative, but it is all mine and paid for! Actually, it was outdated 3 monthe after we bought it.

So does anyone else out there in Pprune land have any other suggestions?

Yours in Pprune juice

JFD

BigJETS
1st Jul 2001, 08:39
Jetfuel,
Well first of all, your hardware really isnt the problem. your system is (only slightly)outdated but you dont need more for the internet. Off subject but you have alot of upgrade options available. Back on subject, AOL sucks thats all there is to it. I used it for many years until I finally got smart to them. I would dump them ASAP! Their product is nothing more than a route, if you will, to a handful of things available on the web. Its also quite overpriced and I dont understand how they can even charge for it. I dont say that out of spite, many other places like yahoo and MSN offer all the tools aol offers, except they are free and more creative. AOL is an interface designed to supposedly give the net browser everything available on the web and more. But it truly doesnt do that. Its quite false in that AOL subscribers think the only way to access the web is through AOL. Subscribers dont realize or dont care that there are thousands of chatrooms and message boards on the web all accessible through Netscape or MSIE. Face it, Thats all AOL has to offer that isnt accessible without their service-- AOL's extensive chatrooms, and AOLs message board. (understand, AOLs chatrooms are no different than any other chatroom out there with 40 loudmouth teenagers in it) Everything else is completely accessible by the WWW. You can keep track of aol people through email and even chat with them using other products that are actaully better AND FREE. www.MSN.com (http://www.MSN.com) is a very good start if thats what youre looking for.
As far as your question is concerned, Youre probably using AOLs free Internet connection, right? Its not FREE for nothing. You need to find a service provider in your area. Youll be glad you did. I hope I made my point.

BigJETS
1st Jul 2001, 08:48
also meant to address your formatting idea too. That can be a very good thing also. Just start right over. Back up a few of your favorites and go to it. Expect AT LEAST 3-4hrs from start to finish.
Backup > format > install windows > install software(s). Youll probably notice huge difference.

PS. I assume all the details I spoke of pertaining to AOL connecting are accurate in the UK as they are in the US.

Pielander
1st Jul 2001, 16:15
I used btinternet and I was forever being kicked out at inopportune moments. AOL is much more reliable in my opinion, and as long as you use your own browser (Haha - You're not still using their browser are you? Sucker! :)) it's just an ISP like any other.

I'm told that the other company mentioned here - the one that supposedly has 'Technology tamed' offer a good service at a competitive price, and is the best option if you happen to live in the right area. On the down side, don't let them near your granny, unless you want her to get buttf***ed by unscrupulous salesmen who will lie to the poor old dear to get her to sign up to a £50 a month package that she will never even understand, let alone use. Believe me - I've seen it happen - on a daily basis.

Pie