PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions!

jonnyhock
22nd Sep 2008, 19:07
Here is a question!

Given the current situation and the apparent downturn, are you going to hold off on your ATPL training or are you going to carry on regardless and hope that by the time you finish, things will look more positive?

Not that your opinions aren’t important but I don’t wish to hear about what you should do, what is sensible or indeed what your two bobs worth is! Im merely interested in those who have decided to go for it or those who have decided to wait a while…

(edit) Just for clarity, im not looking for advice just a "yes im going for it" or "no, im not" type thing...

pipertommy
22nd Sep 2008, 19:50
I would still say its ok to start the PPL and continue to build hours/experience. If you have a PPL already maybe think of doing an IMC rating to help you towards the IR or just help improve your flying skills.

No harm in starting the studying towards the ATPL exams, you could be very well prepared without the stress of time constraint.

Spend sometime around your local club and you never know who you will meet.

Good luck.

ryancy
22nd Sep 2008, 22:19
I just have passed the Written Exams last month and decided to carry on.
Next stages:
Instrument Rating begins in October followed by Commercial in January.
The plan is to be done by the end of February.

DarkSoldier
22nd Sep 2008, 22:37
going ahead with it....
currently hour building and doing ATPLs, hope to be at fATPL level by the end of 2010 when this bleeding downturn should (hopefully) be behind us!

jonnyhock
23rd Sep 2008, 17:54
Im going for it too, finishing my PPL at the moment and will start the ATPL Ground School in January, hopefully finished late 2009/ early 2010. I take on board all the comments regarding the likelyhood of employment in these dire times but when will these stats return to the levels we have enjoyed until recently? 5 years from now, possibly more? My circumstances are such that i cant wait that long, its now or never!

Shiver me timbers!
23rd Sep 2008, 18:24
Continuing my PPL, then ATPL theory and some hour building. Will then re-assess the situation early 2010!

JohnRayner
23rd Sep 2008, 19:45
As above, really. Will tailor length of ATPLs to suit. Ideally would like to look at the job market in 2010-ish and see if entering it then would be a good idea. In the meantime, enjoy the private flying, get out and about, take the friends skiing, maybe even get MEP rating.

AlphaMale
23rd Sep 2008, 22:55
I'm hoping to do my FAA PPL with EAA in April/May of next year and then start my hour building. When I think I am prepared to start the ATPL GS and have the finances to see me through to the CPL/ME-IR and either MCC or FI.

As far as I can see, as soon as I enroll on the ATPL GS course with BGS I'll have 18 months to complete all 14 exams. On completion I'll have 36 months to complete my CPL/ME-IR so I'd like to spend this period of time not worrying about how to pay for it or the job market.

As it stands at the moment I'll look to complete my CPL & FI before embarking on the expensive ME-IR.

Nozwaldo
24th Sep 2008, 11:55
My intentions, at present, are to continue as I have to complete CPL/IR by Dec 2009 due to finishing ATPL exams in Dec 2006. However, I am reviewing the situation continually. I'm leaving the RN and a good wage after 22 years service next year and the decision to invest £25K to finish is not to be taken lightly. Despite what is written on the forums to dissuade us from continuing (for whatever reason), some of us have invested far too much to just give up on the chance of flying as a career and the decision is ours. If I decide to not continue it will be with great sadness and I am sure I will regret it for the rest of my life. Good luck to all those who decide to continue.

Noz

JohnRayner
24th Sep 2008, 13:26
Never a truer word spoken! We're all grown ups, and we stand by our decisions. Good luck for the future.

:ok:

preduk
24th Sep 2008, 15:44
I've changed University course that will give me an extra year of education until things pass. I'll be out of Uni Summer 2010 rather than 2009, until then I'm just working on building hours.

isi3000
24th Sep 2008, 19:53
I started a 2/3 year pilot training uni course so hopefully the economy will pick up in the next few years. If not then I'll stay and do the third top-up year of the course for my aviation/engineering degree :ok:.

Sort of going for it, but playing it safe at the same time...

L'aviateur
24th Sep 2008, 20:55
Have a PPL, started the ATPL's (Bristol GS DL). Going for it because I enjoy the flying and the challenges. I see the CPL/IR as the chance to fly, rather then the means to an end.

I'm in a fairly lucky situation, since i'm a navigator onboard cruise ships and megayachts and have a lot of time off in addition to the finances to cover the flying without loans or family support.

I very much doubt that the economic situation will recover in the near future, but if you really want to fly i'm sure they're will always be a way whether it be flying instruction or charter work. Though I think thats more difficult for the older people with families who can't so easily afford to take a smaller salary.

Sparks Will Fly!!
25th Sep 2008, 14:49
Same as above, I have PPl, plan to get Night Rating this winter, have got hold of a set of Cabair 2008 ATPL books. Looking to read through these over the next 6 months, then look to start the mod course with new books etc.
From then continue onto the CPL/Multi, then onto I.R and F.I.

Have wanted to do this for a long time and doing it this way will enable me to save up more and borrow less.

Good luck to everyone else. :)