PDA

View Full Version : a + (2x bc2) = less homework

Richard Taylor
22nd Sep 2008, 17:39
Now in my day we got homework each day, plus weekends to do for Mon (tell me why I don't like Mondays...:rolleyes:)

However listening to Drive on radio, a school (Surrey?) is to give its kids less homework, as they are getting "stressed out" the little darlings.

They are to be given something like "independent flexible assessment" or some other soundbite instead.

Less homework = more time for the little scrotes to roam the streets...:ugh:

tony draper
22nd Sep 2008, 17:48
Yer and up here we had to go and do a 12 hour shift down the Pit when we had finished us homework as well,tell the youngins nowadays and they wunt believe yer.
They should all be thrashed on a daily basis as well, never did us any harm.
:rolleyes:

frostbite
22nd Sep 2008, 18:02
You only did 12 hours?!

Part-timers, living in luxury.

eticket
22nd Sep 2008, 18:03
....... and not forgetting that we had to go to school on Saturdays. (Some for their sins had to do Sundays as well.)

Fly-by-Wife
22nd Sep 2008, 18:19
Richard Taylor,

Why not find out more before posting? Here's the article (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article4799173.ece) in today's Times online.

As it happens, I know the school, as my son goes there, and I don't think that there is a single "scrote" in it. Academically, that school takes the top 10% of a large catchment area - and is non-fee paying, so it attracts pupils on merit, not on ability to pay.

FBW

Richard Taylor
22nd Sep 2008, 18:33
I must not be frivolous
I must not be frivolous
I must not be frivolous
I must not be frivolous

Parapunter
22nd Sep 2008, 18:54
That's only four lines sunshine. I want the other 96 by the end of lunchtime or I'll chop yer hands off.:rolleyes:

Richard Taylor
22nd Sep 2008, 18:57
Shit! Will you settle for an essay on the merits of homework:

I thunk homework is impotent cause it helps u lern & 2 spel.

Flying Farmer
22nd Sep 2008, 21:46
Pah in my day had to do 4 x 30 minutes of homework a night.

Then go in on a Saturday and put up with the beatings on a regular basis, never did mind the gym maam thrashing us mind :E
Character building tis :O

tony draper
22nd Sep 2008, 22:03
One was fortunate in that one's parents were quite enlightened for the times and allowed one to stay on for further education, so one did not leave school to seek employment until one was 12.
:rolleyes:

TURIN
22nd Sep 2008, 22:58
My liitle un has just started school.

Not turned five years old yet but is bringing in homework! WTF!? :ugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Sep 2008, 23:29
I do more "homework" now than I ever did at school. Alas I don't get the associated spankings :(

Loose rivets
22nd Sep 2008, 23:55
My son got permission for his son not to do any homework. I had asked him to do this cos the lad never had any time for watching wire-wool going alight with a car battery, or making iron filings follow lines of force. As as for gravity, well even at the age of six he still hadn't got the hang of it.

Anyway, he still kept doing it. Why??!! says I "Cos I don't want to be the odd one out." Says he. No answer to that.

But, the other day he did ask what the resultant force would be if two magnets were clapped together NS SN One praised him for a sensible question, but then he went back to including a set number of words into an essay.

al446
23rd Sep 2008, 01:35
nobody seems to mention father, long ago, having t' pay't millowner to work there.

sisemen
23rd Sep 2008, 02:40
At the risk of bringing a slightly more serious note to the proceedings....I can quite see the sense in reducing homework.

My kids have long since left school and my grandkids are only just starting but what I've seen of friends kids leads me to the suspicion that they really are getting far, far too much homework.

Now whether it's because the total of knowledge that one has to learn has increased since my day or whether it's because the teaching profession have morphed into lazy scrotes with their "pupil free days" and tendency to concentrate on huggy fluff ideas I am not really sure.

In any event, kids need more falling out of trees and train spotting time.

Richard Taylor
23rd Sep 2008, 07:03
Kids are already falling out & trainspotting...falling out of youth clubs drunk/high, falling out of electricity sub stations after vandalising them, & I've seen kids trainspotting...whereupon they proceed to lob bricks at them...:rolleyes:

(Feel another punishment exercise coming...;))

Mr Grimsdale
23rd Sep 2008, 11:13
I do more "homework" now than I ever did at school. Alas I don't get the associated spankings http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/sowee.gif

...but surely you earn enough now to pay for those?:}

Tony Hirst
23rd Sep 2008, 12:41
My children got far too much homework too. I would rather the teachers were more resolved/able to work the children harder at school, rather than class sizes of 30 and teaching assistants then passing the buck to after hours - a total cop out.

We are currently teaching our children at home before they start at an international school with 15 kids per class. It is interesting to see the improvement with three hours of solid effort as opposed to six hours of wiffly waffly lameness. It will be interesting to see how the new school works out in that regard.

Blacksheep
23rd Sep 2008, 13:49
...class sizes of 30There were 52 of us in class 4A and no teaching assistants. We did no homework at all. 48 of us passed the 11+ and went to grammar school, where we were placed in classes of 35 or more and began taking an hour and a half of homework home each night in our army surplus rucksacks. Most of us managed to secure an apprenticeship and "learn a trade".

A dozen or so even scraped up enough cash to go to university and four (almost 8% of the original 4A) even went on to achieve PhD degrees. :hmm:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Sep 2008, 13:53
wtf does a + (2x bc2) mean anyway?

Should it be a + 2bc^2 ?

detention for you laddie

Windy Militant
23rd Sep 2008, 13:54
Depends what it is, homework is supposed to show that you've absorbed what was taught in class and can understand it.
Our geography teacher used to give us reams of notes to copy out, most of which were completely superfluous as we weren't tested on it, apart from checking to see you had actually copied it and hardly any of it was pertinent to the final exam. You didn't really learn anything from it because you were too busy writing to actually take any notice of what you've written.
Learnt far more about the subject reading 'Look and Learn' of a Saturday morning. :}

Tony Hirst
23rd Sep 2008, 13:57
Well Blacksheep, I was hoping class size would be a an excuse for them, but now I wonder what on Earth they do all day?

Burnt Fishtrousers
23rd Sep 2008, 17:26
Its just as well the kids do Homework as it gives us parents an incite as the the drivvel being taught in school these days, just to tick boxes and satisfy league tables. We are now spending half an hour a night going through with Emily stuff the lazy bastards should be teaching her.

My daughter is going through the same subject matter this year as last, to consolodate ( ie maximise the chances of passing Sats) to satisfy another tickbox on the schools league table.

Fact is, the teachers a semi literate unqualified clown who labours under the illusion she is teaching English . She cant spell ( mines not perfic) doesnt mark my daughters work correctly...and fails to explain why she is wrong "NO!" serves no purpose at all.

A visit will be on the cards soon me thinks

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Sep 2008, 17:47
You might consider revising how to use the apostrophe before the visit :}

frostbite
23rd Sep 2008, 17:53
Not to mention a spell checker.

Saintsman
23rd Sep 2008, 19:28
I asked my year 9 daughter if she had any homework tonight.

"To look at the clothes in my wardrobe".

WTF?

Thinking about it, she will have more success looking on the bedroom floor:hmm:

Rush2112
24th Sep 2008, 06:31
We were set homework from pretty much every lesson, every day, the only exceptions being woodworking, PE, that sort of thing. Mind you, I rarely actually did it, preferring to spend my lunchtimes outside the Headmaster's office where it was, at least, warm and dry.

Then unfortunately I did well enough to score sufficient O levels to get accepted for the Army's 6th form which was a boarding school where my usual excuse of "I've left it at home" proved somewhat ineffective, and I had to endure a minimum of 2 hours "prep" every evening.

Homework's a waste of everyone's time: you're either clever enough and motivated enough to pass the exams or you're not.

Blacksheep
24th Sep 2008, 08:38
I was hoping class size would be a an excuse for themWe were a deprived school in a deprived area 'n all. Half the classrooms were surplus huts purloined from Wolviston POW camp and re-erected in the school yard. So, deprivation has nowt to do with it either.

"Pop" Corner the terrifying Head master who would pounce on unsuspecting victims and grill them with ten mental arithmatic problems and fantastic teachers like "Tombuck" Thompson had a lot to do with it though. :ok:

max1
24th Sep 2008, 11:47
It wasn't until my kids started learning to read that I realised how strange the English language was, cough and bough immediately springs to mind. Hanged and changed. Got me stuffed how I ever learnt it.

Any others?

'anful of gravel must be brain food.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Sep 2008, 13:08
...as in Frank Bough?

Pugilistic Animus
24th Sep 2008, 14:31
Homework:

What is the definite integral between the bounds {0,S,}; of the linear function, Y= ax

hint: it spells something:E:}

PA

Pugilistic Animus
24th Sep 2008, 21:16
C'mon--it spells 1/2 ass---no-one wanted to anwer:(--where are the nerds:8:8:8

Capot
24th Sep 2008, 22:09
wtf does

a + 2bc^2

mean anyway?

And while we're here doing detention, wtf does

a + (2x bc2)

mean anyway? Is that an 'x' or a multiplication sign?

Richard Taylor
25th Sep 2008, 07:14
Capot! It's the formula used by those boffins & that Collider thingy, as they guess how the world started...obvious really...:}