PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Captain Airclues
2nd Jan 2000, 18:10
Could somebody please advise me on two problems which may or may not be related, but occured at the same time.(pre Y2K)
The first problem is that everything is much bigger, and therefore does not fit on the screen. On the Windows 98 page the icons are larger, and the programme list goes off the bottom of the page.
The second problem is that all of the colours are very course grain, and are a series of dots rather than a solid colour. Photos have become very blurred.
Have I been hit by a hacker, or has one of my kids (or me) pressed something that he should't? (my son has recently loaded Comanche 3 and Delta Force 2).
Any help would be appreciated.

Airclues

Wedge
2nd Jan 2000, 18:28
Hi Airclues.....

Sounds like someone has reset your display properties. Unlikely to be Y2K or hacker related.

In Windows, go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Display.

Click on the 'Settings' Tab - (far right).
Look at the Colour Palette and Desktop Area fields. Increase the Destop Area settings - eg to 800 by 600 pixels. That should fix it. Check that the Colour Palette is set to 256 Colours or greater.

Email me if you have any more problems.

Captain Airclues
2nd Jan 2000, 21:55
Many thanks for the advice Wedge, but each time I try that it resets itself to the lower setting. I think that a combination of 'Comanche 3' and a sixteen year-olds fingers have managed to do something to my graphics card. I think that I'll have to phone Tiny.
Many thanks for the help anyway, much appreciated.

Airclues

ExSimGuy
3rd Jan 2000, 15:34
I tend to agree with Wedge, if you change the "settings" and "apply", that should fix it (do the settings change to the correct ones but then revert when you re-boot, or after you run one of the games packages that you installed?)

If Tiny didn't help, feel free to email me (posted address is okay but [email protected] gets to me faster)

Good Luck!

------------------
Flight Sims, very expensive toys - but real fun to play with!

SeldomFixit
3rd Jan 2000, 19:02
Several games will " default " the display properties to the format they like ( highly unlikely to be the format YOU like, however ).
As per the good previous advice, ensure you "apply" the desktop properties to the required values. Has happened to me several times and can be a pain in that the "default" display actually pushes the apply button off screen !! Most annoying !!
Good luck and don't let this critter beat you - after all - you are an Aviator !!

Captain Airclues
3rd Jan 2000, 22:50
I'm afraid that 'Comanche 3' beat me, but then it is a helicopter game, and I never did understand them.
Luckily Tiny provide a 'restore' disc, which puts the computer back into the state that it was in when it was delivered. I now just have to reload my software (but NOT Comanche 3). I can now read PPRuNe in all it's colourful glory.
Many thanks to you all for your advice.

Airclues