PDA

View Full Version : JFK JetBlue terminal evacuated

barit1
22nd Sep 2008, 12:24
Grenades found in pax terminal (http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212173647.shtml)

wiggy
22nd Sep 2008, 12:28
Just been reported on NBC Channel 4 New York...according to the jurnos it's causing long delays throughout the airport and there is police activity on the "runways" :ugh: ...

ArtfulDodger
22nd Sep 2008, 12:34
Update: Passengers are being guided back towards the terminal

angels
22nd Sep 2008, 13:13
Paperweights apparently. End of.

dubh12000
22nd Sep 2008, 14:00
It was paperweights in the shape of grenades, in checked luggage, according to the news here in New York at the moment......I'm siding with the security guys on this one at the moment.

ChristiaanJ
22nd Sep 2008, 16:27
How dumb can you get, especially in this day and age, when in principle every bag is X-rayed?
Especially when paperweights look and sufficiently different from the real thing to leave little doubt as to what they are.

Some years ago, I brought a bl**dy big aircraft flight control computer back from the UK in my suitcase (bought as 'memorabilia').
I KNEW it would look weird and suspicious on a baggage scanner, so I just pre-empted by declaring it at check-in. Was taken to a separate security office where they scanned the suitcase, declared themselves fully satisfied and hung a big "Security" sticker on the case. Took me a quarter of an hour, though, to tell the history of the computer (they actually were interested).... Time well spent.... the computer sits now next to my desk.

CJ

frankpgh
23rd Sep 2008, 00:31
I was just getting in from a Red-eye and had a connection I was waiting on to get home.

We were actually in the remote Jetblue terminal. The terminal in which you have to take a shuttle to for gates 18 - ??.

The flight crew had just gone down the jetway and I was called up to pre-board (broken ankle), when the flight crew came back up.

An announcement came at the gate that the flight was being held by JFK operations and nothing else was known. I immediately said to my partner it was likely security related since they pulled the crew off.

About 5 minute later a general announcement came over that the building needed to be evacuated immediately. We walked over to where the shuttle loads/unloads and suddenly the doors were closed and we were kept inside.

It was obvious the "security" (not TSA) in this building had no idea what to do. Another announcement came on to evacuate and pax were getting angry that the doors were being blocked. They opened the door and everyone started filing outside - problem is we were in the middle of the ramp area.

They did get 2 shuttles away before telling everyone to come back in the building. They had no information and provided no updates.

Most of us got our updates from friends who happened to be watching Fox News because Geraldo Rivera was in Terminal 5 and had been evacuated.

Our flight was held at the gate because it was unknown if any of the pax for our flight had boarded the shuttles which went to the main terminal as those pax were forced to exit the building and re-enter through security.

It wasn't a big deal -but it was obvious that if an emergency really did occur that the security staff had no idea what to do. They were all yelling over top of each other on their walki's and no one was running the show.

Pretty scary also considering it is NY.