PDA

View Full Version : windows 98

speedtape king
1st Jan 2000, 19:56
technical pruners

i am having trouble with windows 98 which keeps coming up with a window which says "runtime erroe c:\windows\explorer.exe " it has a box for clicking on which has ok in it. the only way to carry on using the pc is click on ok which then removes all traces of windows on the screen(all desktop items and start bar) only way to get up and running again is a reboot. anyone know any better??

FL310
1st Jan 2000, 20:59
Very common problem with IE in one of the older (months means older????) versions. Try to upgrade and have a look than.
Are you using Outlook Express as well? Upgrade it as well....

speedtape king
4th Jan 2000, 13:09
thanks FL310

is it possible to just replace the explorer.exe program (and if so where can i get a copy ?) or are we talking a reinstallation of windows ? ( no doubt that will involve wiping the hard disc and starting again ??? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif !!!!

SeldomFixit
4th Jan 2000, 14:16
http://ninemsn.com.au/homepage.asp
is only 1 of a kajillion spots where you can download IE5.
Just do the download and it will organise itself over your old browser version ( all things being equal ).
See where you are after that with your Windows 98 probs.
Cheers

FL310
4th Jan 2000, 17:02
Go to Windows update and it will show you all the bits and pieces you may want to upgrade.
Have a nice nightsession.....

FL310
4th Jan 2000, 17:05
Go to Windows update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) and it will show you all the bits and pieces you may want to upgrade.
Have a nice nightsession.....

spannersatcx
5th Jan 2000, 01:08
Run syustem file checker which should replace any corrupted files.

Using System File Checker

You can use System File Checker to verify the integrity of your operating system files, to restore them if they are corrupted, and to extract compressed files (such as drivers) from your installation disks.

You can have System File Checker back up the existing files before restoring the original files. You can also customize search criteria based on folder and file extension.

to start System File Checker.

Note
You can also start System File Checker by clicking Start, pointing to Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to System Tools, and then clicking System Information. In System Information, click Tools, and then click System File Checker.

speedtape king
5th Jan 2000, 01:20
thanks for the assistance chaps- will try to sort it when i get 5 mins !!

ExSimGuy
5th Jan 2000, 10:21
Is there some confusion above? I note that the original post refers to an error on EXPLORER.EXE, which is Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer!

While I agree that IE5 and the latest Outlook Express are a very worthwhile upgrade over the older versions, the references to System File Checker are hitting what I think is the original problem. I have had the same problem with some of the Win98 files "going ape" (hasn't everyone!?!)

-------------------------------------
If Microsoft brought out a "truly stable" version of Windows - Bill would be out of business as there'd be nobody to buy the "latest version which fixes all the old problems" (and introduces new ones!) I've been steadily working upwards (?) since Windows 286 !!

------------------
Flight Sims, very expensive toys - but real fun to play with!

Ironguts
5th Jan 2000, 15:20
A general warning to All

If you MUST upgrade to IE 5.0 ( inc Outlook ), DO NOT do it by downloading it from Microsoft's site. I have had over 1/2 doz friends etc try it this way and it all ended in much hair pulling, midnight oil burnt and alchol drunk, it is a massive "interactive" download and if anything goes wrong, it's out with the Win95/98 CD and a total reload.

If you can, buy a computer magazine with the upgrades on and do the install from that!!

From One Who Knows ( the Phantom )

InFinRetirement
6th Jan 2000, 02:04
I agree.

However, Although Windows98 came with some inherent bugs,which can be eradicated almost one by one, I have installed Windows98 Second Edition and the result is very very good. There are very few 'illegals' now, but if they do occur it is usually a simple case of clicking OK without a re-boot or End Task.

WIN98 SE has solved many problems, particularly with IE and OLE 5, they got better.

And speed? Well that improved too.

I recommend it.

clownfish
6th Jan 2000, 05:04
One problem I found out recently with Win98SE is that if you have a problem and cannot load windows, the recovery disk starts you up ok with CD-ROM support but will not reinstall WIN98SE. The setup program starts and then states that WIN98SE can only be installed with a windows version operating and not from DOS. What a joke...I had to reinstall WIN98 and then reinstall WIN98SE - very time consuming!

Land Lubber
11th Jan 2000, 18:06
Great Idea... System File Checker

I cannot get it to launch. Gave error message about open programs and Windows/prewrite I closed ALL programs even Explorer_twice [using cancel after, but it comes up to end task] and it still would not launch. The bahavior is very similar to what I get the my "bogie" is taking over.

Is this program linked to my {forever gone I'm afraid] MISSING EXPORT: InprocServer 32 dll file? This is always missing even on system reloads.

Re-installing Win98 is painless,if somewhat time consuming. It works many times, but not all times.

Power Toy from Microsoft Home / Downloads is a cool program. :)
==============================
Life ...stay tuned! "It's always changing while it stays the same."