PDA

View Full Version : Karratha Airport Closure

topend3
22nd Sep 2008, 06:30
from Qantas.com :

Karratha Aerodrome has closed today Monday, 22 September 2008 due to unscheduled runway works. At this stage all flights into and out of Karratha today will be cancelled.

Qantas is doing all possible to get our customers to their final destination as quickly as possible.

Please refer to the Arrivals and Departures pages for up-to-date flight information. If you have any questions regarding your booking, call Qantas on 13 13 13.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Sep 2008, 06:38
Perth Radio Stn 6PR
reporting KA runway closed due loose stones on runway being kicked up / picked up by aircraft - danger of ingestion and prop strikes perhaps?

:)

MACH082
22nd Sep 2008, 09:49
A 737 landed or taxied on a freshly tarred/resurfaced runway........could be closed for a few days! details are still pretty sketchy, but notams saying all traffic suspended......

Capn Bloggs
22nd Sep 2008, 12:51
Mach 82, can I have whatever you're having?

The runway is out of action; rumour is a dastardly QF maggot heard a Skypest F@kker coming and dented the runway so much the F@kker had to go somewhere else (saw one at YPPD this arvo).

QF907 got a special dispo to take off on the chopper taxiway (the only straight bit of bitumen longer than 50m left at KTA) this arvo back to Perth. Bus service between KTA and PHE doing a roaring trade at the moment! :}

man on the ground
22nd Sep 2008, 13:31
when they "resurfaced" they might not have used the right recipe :sad:

topend3
23rd Sep 2008, 07:05
runway re-opened first thing this morning...

Little_Red_Hat
23rd Sep 2008, 09:54
Taxiway was still being used when the 906/907 came and left. Not sure about the later flights. Heck of a lot of dust around the place!!! Quite windy too.

Wonder who is on the ****e list for messing up...?! :p

FRQ Charlie Bravo
23rd Sep 2008, 14:42
Any interesting piccies?

pilotdude09
23rd Sep 2008, 16:16
Well it's the shire of Roebournes fault and from what i've heard none of the major companies are happy at all, as you would expect i guess.

The story i was told was that there was a temp runway somewhere (god knows where) there was a risk of FOD as in loose rocks etc so no more flights that day as the runway hadn't quite dried as they resurfaced it the day/night before so couldn't use normal runway.

Not sure how true that is, but i'll speak to better "sources" as soon as i see em

But airport was running no problems today.

Not sure if the runway works are finished yet, i guess if they have resurfaced they are? flown QF a few times in the last month and always been stuck in an Aisle or Middle seat with "bigger" people in the window seat so can never see out the window, and havent been for any flights with KTA Flying Services lately. I know Qantas wanted them done before Summer so they could fill their 2 x Weekly Brisbane flights and look at other east coast destinations since it would be more economical..........

Capt Claret
24th Sep 2008, 03:11
Wrong mix perhaps? Southern contractor with little understanding of heat, perhaps?

no inside knowledge, just thinking in writing

maggot
24th Sep 2008, 04:34
stone chips, lotsa minor damage... broken ldg light lenses etc, nothing too exciting boys - but yep, whata surface for a 'runway' :rolleyes:

NAMD
24th Sep 2008, 07:47
From what I heard the QF 737 was caked in tar and crap all over the wheels and undercarriage.

Sounds like the same mob the did ADL 18 months back. Changed more thanone wheel due to an increase in diameter due works......

topend3
24th Sep 2008, 12:29
pilotdude09 you should check your facts before posting crap.

temp ops are existing on the parallel taxiway to allow an upgrade of the main runway. this involves an extension and widening to 45m and will allow unrestricted ops for 738s to east coast and larger aircraft.

see media release below. if you live there i thought you would know that. the problem was indeed an area of existing seal and not a new seal as has been speculated.

"KARRATHA AIRPORT UPGRADE - The Shire of Roebourne has awarded the tender for the Karratha Airport Upgrade to Downer EDI Works, following a comprehensive expression of interest and tender process.

This significant project includes the lengthening and widening of the main runway and associated taxiway and apron works, which when completed, will provide capacity for larger B767 aircraft.The works will substantially complete the Airport Master Plan first adopted by Council in 1995.

The project is expected to cost in excess of $21 million and will take twelve months to complete however, as it is being funded by the Airport Reserve and loan funds, it will not impact on the ratepayers

.The Council has been planning this project for some time and it is expected that there will be limited disruption to passengers flying to or from Karratha with aircraft utilising the current parallel taxiway, which has been upgraded, as a temporary runway.

Downer EDI Works will be familiar to residents of the Shire as they are the contractor undertaking the works at the Tambrey and Nickol West subdivisions in Karratha for Landcorp.In addition to this project the Shire of Roebourne is also planning upgrades to the parking and baggage screening at the airport."