PDA

View Full Version : Killing hideous history files.

squeakmail
29th Dec 1999, 08:22
I am running Windows 98 (how many of you ask "Why?")

I am led to believe that there is a sequence of buttons to click that will erase all the histories of pages visited on the internet - therefore releasing some space on the hard drive that is currently loaded with temporary (and useless) data.

Anybody tell me the full and correct sequence of clicks? Please.

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

Bystander
29th Dec 1999, 09:59
Tools > Internet Options > General > Days to keep pages in History . . .set to zero and clear the history using the button alongside.
Get your hard-drive back in one easy lesson.

spannersatcx
29th Dec 1999, 11:45
Also Start - Accessories - system tools - Disk cleanup select appropriate hard drive and tick the box for temporary internet files. To clear all cookies open windows explorer locate your windows directory and find the temporary internet files folder and select and delete them.

squeakmail
29th Dec 1999, 16:55
Thanks for that you two...I've just cleared 37.28Mb of history.

I never did like history...thing I need to study now is geography...maybe learn my way around this computer a bit better.

Thanks again.

Flying Banana
1st Jan 2000, 22:43
Also go to tools/internet options/Security/custom level

disable both cookie options, not many sites won't work without them and prevents more useless dross accumulating.

Y2K? should be a question asked of all these programmers who have been earning lodsamoney over the holidays - sorry guys gravy train is over!!