PDA

View Full Version : ad-free tv in the States

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2008, 20:40
Anyone seen hulu?

Son just signed up for it...free, and I had a look at one of the latest Bruce thingie movies and it seems to run.

On full screen, there is a pop-up strip along the bottom that gives the synch-time to the second. Though I haven't played with that.

The way in which the guy structured the company, and the arguments that he put forward for the inclusion of major shows and late films...with minimal advertising, is just about where I guessed the industry would have to go.

See our anger on this forum at being pushed to one side with adverts.

My DIL is in the trade as it were, and she came back from a meeting with a television company talking about funding with advertising. I said that ads would be history soon People would Tivo them out. She responded instantly with the news that ads would be put round the edge of the active screen. !!

Yeah, right. That would be fun.

I've long thought that a compromise must be reached, and this is what it sounds like this guy has done. Ad time limits.

I had wondered if there shouldn't be a kind of yellow pages of supporting advertisers that could be accessed, that way it would be a service that we enjoyed, not an eyesore.

Anyway, look at hulu as see what you think.

Huh! Below my post, comes an ad offering Ads On T/V Clever, but it's my prediction that such dynamic interaction is running out of time. Lists of services...an invitation to search. Then I for one will start looking at them.

Ken Wells
21st Sep 2008, 21:03
Can anyone translate?

11Fan
21st Sep 2008, 21:49
Methinks Rivets has gone round the bend.

Must have been the ads.

goudie
21st Sep 2008, 22:00
Hulu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulu)

Explained in rather more lucid terms here

SpringHeeledJack
21st Sep 2008, 22:37
Wasn't that a character in the original Star Trek ? Or failing that a kind of dance wot they do in Hawaii ? :}

Couldn't think of anything worse than trying to watch a film and there being adverts around the screen. Either you're looking at the screen and it's content OR the adverts, but not both at the same time. Well, there are those apache helicopter pilots who are trained to use both of their eyes looking at different things at the same time :ooh:

Regards

SHJ

frostbite
21st Sep 2008, 22:47
No-one outside the US has seen it, Loose.

It's blocked.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
21st Sep 2008, 22:53
Good job it's not called Urethra then :8

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2008, 23:20
Ouch! Not funny at the moment:ooh:

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2008, 23:26
Blocked? Flippin' heck.

So what happens, given that you couldn't interpret my rather excited and admittedly rushed post, when you Goothingie hulu from the UK? Doesn't it tell you about it.?

How dare they censure our stuff...we part of Russia now?

The adds round the screen were being proposed to counter Tivo on American T/V nowt to do with this other than the guy had negotiated reasonable proportions of add time, therefore there should be no need for any other intrusion.

barry lloyd
21st Sep 2008, 23:32
Lovely bit of Americanese on the 'blocked' notice...

Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so.

Well, they are in California...

Bushfiva
22nd Sep 2008, 02:44
ads would be put round the edge of the active screen

There's a patent on putting ads in the overscan area around a TV picture. The startup that came up with the idea was bought by AOL, I believe. Of course, with the move to digital displays overscan as such has gone. And with digital signals, it's gone gone.

Youtube's got some popover ads now, I see. You can either leave them there for 20 seconds or click the "go away" button. TV would be fun with some of them.