PDA

View Full Version : Americans looking @ QR

lang409
21st Sep 2008, 17:22
Obviously you have to do you own research and decide for yourself. I came across these videos and thought I would share them w/ others that are considering QR.

YouTube - QATAR-www.explore-qatar.com part 01 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxsmRQS-Cw)
YouTube - QATAR-www.explore-qatar.com part 02 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=043sIkE5Pcs)
YouTube - QATAR-www.explore-qatar.com part 03 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSzvmQSiMAI)
YouTube - QATAR-www.explore-qatar.com part 04 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CzuJjqSWwk)

Explore-Qatar Qatar Maps, Qatar Classifieds, Qatar Discussion Forums, Qatar News, Qatar Videos, Activities & Life in Qatar, Living in Qatar (http://www.explore-qatar.com/)
Education City Qatar (http://www.qf.org.qa/output/page301.asp)

Check it out - it will help you make a better decision.

I will be interviewing in EWR. I hope I'm asked to join.

Cheers
D.

Mister Warning
21st Sep 2008, 18:39
And all Americans live in Disneyland... :ugh:

NG_Kaptain
21st Sep 2008, 19:55
Go only if you are unemployed and can't get a job.

fractional
21st Sep 2008, 20:18
Everyone has his/her own personal tastes, but believe me Doha isn't Phoenix if you came to compare desert locations, besides all the other bits and pieces of the Qatari Puzzle. Perhaps come further east. EY and EK, among others, are better choices. If you are either jobless or about to be, do what you can to have "bread on the table" then, but read the posts about what the others have to say too. Good luck!

Mr Ho
21st Sep 2008, 23:47
Vedeos are tru is luvly cuntry am very hapy hear. Not rain rain rain all day like at home :8

Stone_cold
22nd Sep 2008, 07:07
Hey NG

You always seem to have a very informed negative view of QR .Please inform all of your first hand experience . You are quite obviously employed there .Do tell us more .

Two Dogs....
22nd Sep 2008, 07:21
Have you guys seen the mobile phone video of the Qatari speeding wildly through the crowded Sealine Beach public carpark and then rolling his machine three times?

Does anyone have any footage of Qataris driving flat at night through their beach campsite?

Does anyone have any footage of the Qataris driving like wild animals on ATVs through crowded Dunestock?

Does anyone have footage of a Qatari driving his landcruiser on two wheels on a round-about?

Simple primates at play..... the scary thing is that most Qataris would find the above examples funny! Why would any sane person want to live in Qatar? The positive propaganda out there is just proof that Qatar is desperate for your labour.

skya320
22nd Sep 2008, 07:37
So true...I've seen it on daily basis. They drive like crazy and will not get pull over....:ugh: These videos only highlight nice spots.

skya320
22nd Sep 2008, 07:49
Those videos has mentioned that Qatari are well educated, but howcome they love to cut in line???:confused:

loc22550
22nd Sep 2008, 07:51
:ok:two dogs.

You have as well the "corniche option"(the only "good" place in doha for a walk..), while walking and relaxing on corniche you might be intoxicated(by exhaust gas&noise) by all this noisy jet sky "zig-zaging" a few meters from you making as much noise as they can in oder to impress the people....:ouch:

EK Snorkel
22nd Sep 2008, 08:18
As far as I know QR will interview you in Dubai. So the first time you actually see Doha is when you start your ground course, after you signed the training bond!

My recommendation is to stay for 2 weeks in a Doha 2-star Hotel before you sign anything. That gives you arealistic picture about the place. :ouch:
Do not believe anything in these marketing videos, usually the opposite is true.

If you are single and you look for an adventure; try EK :}. Remember it will be an adventure but still better than the nightmares in QR, GF or EY.

If you are married and want to get rid of your wife, bring her over! She will bug out within a few weeks ...promise:O

Good luck with your decision.

Lulu qatar
22nd Sep 2008, 22:51
We have 3 USA pilot sand all 3 want to leave .
Bring youre wife guyz and see. ETD 4-6 months !back to the USA

Two Dogs....
22nd Sep 2008, 23:21
Does anyone have any video footage for the americans of Qataris on jetskis harassing western women?

Or what about video footage of the accident at sea where locals rammed a Goat pilot's boat sending people into the water?

And for the record, how many expat parents have ever allowed their young children (7-10) venture out of the compound alone to the local park or shop?

How many guns are at your kids school? (I guess quite a few at american schools)

Do you have a suicide car bomber barrier around your US school?

You guys need to let your wives do some research for you.

wrightbrother
23rd Sep 2008, 08:58
The videos depict fantasy just like any other country would promote.How about the harsh reality which actually exists show us that.

Xaxa
23rd Sep 2008, 15:36
http://www.qatarsucks.com (http://www.qatarsucks.com/)

For us people who live in Doha, the above link (and many others) leads to http://www.censor.qa/message1.gif

If you are outside of local censor's reach, click and read. Probably not as fun as the youtube propaganda. :hmm:

fractional
23rd Sep 2008, 16:55
I believe lang409 got the message.
hundreds of thousands of vulnerable workers who have been systematically victimizedIsn't this so true elsewhere and where money is so abundant in this area? I cannot complain, but I can see it around me.

tuan74
23rd Sep 2008, 19:26
The only thing I can say after watching all those docu on youtube was....
Hahahahahaha....what a joke.....:}:}:}:}:}:}

Seriously guys...check throughly before you ever join here.... in fact come over for few days and see Doha for yourself....

Lots have been said in this forum about QR...take heed of the warnings.

Come here only if you got no where else to go....:ok:

Rocco Stiffreddy
28th Sep 2008, 12:08
Hi all,
I'm a B1B commander with the USAF, 3200 on "The Bone". I was stationed at The Deed 2 years ago. I didn't spend a lot of time in Doha other than the usual spots,the Rugby club was a learning experience! The country is a bit of a dump, seems like you could make it work as a place to live though. I flew extensively North West of Qatar and the Pushtan for Uncle Sam. My main question is if I joined could I expect DEC A330 and would my kids be safe?

fractional
28th Sep 2008, 17:38
Rocco Stiffreddy, 2 things don't add up.The country is a bit of a dump, seems like you could make it work as a place to live though.and...and would my kids be safe?You were in the area and you should know.
Remember that where you were during your tour of duty, you were probably not exposed to the daily routines other guys have to experience along with those of the company itself. Have second thought about the whole thing. Again, don't take me wrong, a job is better than no job.
P.S. It's safe for the kids, but it all depends on their age. It's ok up to the very beginning of their teens because they usually stay close to home. From then on, I cannot give you the same advice because there is really nothing to do other than a good expat or hotel club (not cheap) or a good compound (expensive too) or ultimately the shopping malls and the unwatched areas where you don't know what they are up to. Summers are terrible for them. DECs:hmm:?

Rocco Stiffreddy
28th Sep 2008, 22:33
What doesnt add up Fractional is that with all modern cons and unlimited money the city felt like a dump. Like Tombstone 1890 but made from concrete and steel?

Wasnt there a suicide car bombing outside a school and theatre a few years back? Killed people I recall. Is my family likely to be more at risk because I flew the star and stripes of the sand? What sort of security does Qatar Airways provide at accomodation?

Reasonable questions buddy?

skya320
29th Sep 2008, 12:13
Rocco Stiffreddy
Why would your family be more at risk? By the time you start working here, you will no longer wear your G.I. uniform so people will not notice the different between you and other expat. As long as your family are willing to change some life style then they should be able to blend in with other expat families here just fine (i.e. no more military hair cut).

It so easy to pick out military personal at the Mall by the way they dress, walk in groups and their military hair cut. So if you are willing to stop doing that then it should be okay.

Compound security is ok. They usually ask to exchange ID before any visitor can enter the front gate.(Mostly during the day, and if they are not too sleepy or lazy at night) Not as safe and secure like living on base ya know? But for the most part, it's ok so far.

DEC A330 :hmm:? Give it a try and see what position and fleet they will assign you...

Maybe you should try EY instead of QR. The city life is much better there...

fractional
29th Sep 2008, 12:42
To me, it doesn't add up saying "the country is a bit of a dump, seems like you could make it work as a place to live though". In reference to
Wasnt there a suicide car bombing outside a school and theatre a few years back? Killed people I recall Car bombs explode here and there and in some places are a daily life routine. You get used to it. Through the years, I have been more exposed to insecurity in Beirut, Cairo, Amman, Manila, Delhi and Bangkok, among others, than in the Gulf. Certainly, Doha is not Kabul or Baghdad. Bahrain, Saudi and Kuwait have had some security issues. The UAE and Oman have not, but one never knows, really. Follow skya320's advice and you should be ok. Suggest you move here single to see things first hand. Good luck!

Mr Ho
6th Oct 2008, 11:12
Bomming bomming bomming with short hair, now long hair and pasengers wining. Stifready never be safe neer bomb hole still smoking :8

NG_Kaptain
6th Oct 2008, 11:28
Bomming bomming bomming with short hair, now long hair and pasengers wining. Stifready never be safe neer bomb hole still smoking
:oh::oh::oh::oh:

Is he real?

NoJoke
6th Oct 2008, 12:08
'Fraid so! Lowest form of wit, but with a grain of truth sometimes.

Ronaldo 330
7th Oct 2008, 06:26
Sorry guys last week meeting . NO DEC in QR for now maybe maybe next year insallah . On F/O wil be taken for now .

Black Stain
7th Oct 2008, 07:02
Is it a good time to be leaving the airforce Rocco? Fewer punters will fly during a recession, but there will always be mail to deliver to Osama.

Rocco Stiffreddy
7th Oct 2008, 10:51
Thanks, I think... There are certainly some characters on this forum. LOL. Is Mr. Ho for real?

Rocco Stiffreddy
7th Oct 2008, 11:11
Alright, so QA is a necessary evil... Steeping stones I suppose. Say, do QA staff travel economy? I flew goat once, Doha-Washington and the cabin smelt like dead horse. Also, is it just me or are cabin crew comparatively ugly and never smile...:\

Mr Ho
7th Oct 2008, 22:58
I tell you true stiffreedy all good Goat Airway!!! Fat girl Ok becose feul no problem here. Ugly girl good to becose cheif dont want them marry but keep working working working. Your boss now very bad, come Goat wear good life but dont ever menton war :8

thedude1
9th Oct 2008, 06:56
Hi all,
I'm a B1B commander with the USAF, 3200 on "The Bone".My main question is if I joined could I expect DEC A330 and would my kids be safe?

Are you kidding me dude. While you might be a legend in your own mind 3500+ hrs isn't gonna get you far in today's world, military time or not. Yeah, we all know you can fly a B-1 when the AF tells you how and when but when it comes to real world outside if the mil, you are in for surprise. :sad:
Expect an F/O slot at about any place you apply unless you have significant time on type.

http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=4425988) http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4425988&noquote=1)

FlyingCroc
9th Oct 2008, 16:12
has almost the Take off weight of an A330, and I heard QR took also CRJ DEC's, I think he has a good chance as DEC A330 or B777.

Wizofoz
9th Oct 2008, 18:28
Rocco,

Afraid you are up against the reality that Civvies fly a lot more hours then military Jocks, and so the hours requirements are usually higher. You'll need another 800hrs before you'll even be considered as an EK FO.

Rocco Stiffreddy
10th Oct 2008, 03:15
Thanks, I guess I'm in for a big change entering at the bottom of the food chain... You gotta start somewhere though right?:uhoh: I can handle crap rosters, but am I going to get treated like a POW by the chiefs over there?

Wizofoz
10th Oct 2008, 05:39
Rocco,

Depends where you go.

Rosters aren't based on seniority at EK, and I don't think they are at other ME carriers either. You'd be treated no differently than any other new recruit. That being said, I think there are SOME ME carriers where EVERYONE is treated pretty poorly!!

Mr Ho
10th Oct 2008, 11:59
wong wizofiz, Goat Airway graet roster and evry good pilot reward and happy :8

freedevil
20th Oct 2008, 19:18
I love how the girl in the video keeps saying "Cutter"

stezam65
20th Oct 2008, 20:33
What does "DEC" mean?
Thanks for answer.
Stef

zagno83
20th Oct 2008, 20:49
DIRECT ENTRY CAPTAIN.....:ok:

dusteater
28th Oct 2008, 13:33
Life in Doha is like living on a small island. There are lots of things to do, but you'll end up repeating the same ones over and over. Rostering rules result in few good days off blocks to allow you to escape for more than a couple of days at a time at most twice (but often less) per month. You get 42 days of leave a year, which can be split numerous ways, but you may not get the exact times off you wish. You have (currently) no control over your roster. It comes out about a week before the month begins and what you see is what you get. The 320 guys fly all the time, often with just minimum crew rest breaks. The 777 fleet is in transition due to delayed deliveries (Boeing strike and cabin/galley fit delays) and hence has no "real" schedule yet, but expect four long hauls per month, plus short ME turns and lots of Standby days.

Doha is safe. As an expat you're in the 80% majority of the population. Except for government documents, the daily language is English. Crime is minimal - almost non-existent. Cost of living is based on your lifestyle and preferences. For example, you can eat like one of the poorly paid construction labourers for pennies or pay dearly in a Western style hotel restaurant. In between you pay US prices at Subway, TGIF, MacDonalds, etc.

Wives are challenged here. Firstly, the population is predominately male due to large numbers of expat workers. Secondly, conservative views towards women and their roles in society dominate. The result is that women feel stifled and restricted. You can expect your wife to want to extend her leave periods, for example turning a two week leave into a month or more "back home". Summers here are brutally hot. Ramadan for non-Muslims can be a very boring month as little is open during daylight hours.

Schools for kids is a very complex issue. This is something you must thoroughly research to include cost and availability.

All in all Qatar is a phenomenal opportunity for some people. For others it may be a real disappointment. You must ask yourself what are your goals and what is your lifestyle.