PDA

View Full Version : Can I upgrade my Processor?

hassel
21st Jun 2001, 14:21
Does anyone know the fastest processor I can upgrade to. Motherboard ATX LX6 with a Slot 1 for Pentium 11.
Thanks
hassel.

Specaircrew
21st Jun 2001, 18:00
Have you checked the motherboard manual? If you don't have one look at the motherboard and find the manufacturers name and the model number then vist their website and look under 'support'.

Tom the Tenor
22nd Jun 2001, 12:27
I am curious about processor upgrades too. I have a Celeron 466 Mhz processor with the Intel 810 for graphics. I am looking forward to the autum release of MS FS2002 which is supposed to be a lot smoother than FS2000 and was wondering what improvement could I hope for if I upgraded to say, a Celeron 766 Mhz or 800 Mhz? Thank you, TTT.

spannersatcx
22nd Jun 2001, 14:24
You must have a look at the MOB manufacturers website and see what the latest revision of the BIOS they have issued and download and flash the new BIOS. Normally it will give a brief description of what the latest revision fixes and what it will support CPU wise. Failing that if the manual doesn't say, have a look at what the jumpers will do with regard to FSB speed (66, 75, 100 etc)and Multipliers (2x 3 x..10x) that should give you some idea of what you can do.
Hassel unfortunately it is getting more and more difficult to get a P11/111 slot 1 CPU as the new CPU's use a different interface (back to sockets) however you can get an adapter to convert from a slot 1 to the new socket types.

ExSimGuy
23rd Jun 2001, 22:00
I was at an Intel "partners seminar" about a year ago and was amazed when they told us "it's secret at the moment so don't tell anyone - but we're scrapping "slot" support soon and going back to "socket" (of course, they change the bl00dy socket frequently as well) :mad:

Whatever happened to compatibility? - or is it connected to the fact that Intel sells mobos too http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

hassel
25th Jun 2001, 15:24
Thank you all good solid help
hassel