PDA

View Full Version : NRL finals (for Aussies)

Binoculars
21st Sep 2008, 16:11
Two of the best games you'll see this weekend. How does finals football lift beyond what is considered a monstrously hard game anyway? Congratulations to the Warriors, what a great farewell it would be to Price and Wiki if they were to lift the flag.

It was difficult to watch the Broncos getting beaten, ahead for 79 mins 20 seconds, and the devastation at not being able to complete Bennett's fairytale was clear to everyone. What on earth has he got left to achieve with the Dragons next year?

So, what's left? Warriors vs Manly. Can they put it together three games in a row? I don't think so.

Cronulla vs Melbourne. Have Melbourne trained off at the wrong end of the season? No. They'll be there on grand final day even if they're not playing their best.

Manly Melbourne Grand final. That's how it should be, the best two teams all season.

man on the ground
21st Sep 2008, 16:46
It was difficult to watch the Broncos getting beaten

About as tough as watching the Warriors doing the same thing to Storm the week before!

Manly Melbourne Grand final. That's how it should be, the best two teams all season.

Quite agree - should be a great match.

Dave Incognito
22nd Sep 2008, 00:18
Considering the events of the last week, there may have been a touch of Karma with the Broncos loss.

While the 'get out of jail free' card they hold in Brissy seems to work quite well with the local supporters and even the police minister, they tasted the other side of the card when dealt by the Storm on the field...

Richo77
22nd Sep 2008, 01:08
I was gutted by the Bronco's loss. I hate them, but being a Manly supporter i hate Melb more. Still they played for the 80 minutes and it was their defence that kept the ball off the ground and kept them in the game.

I hope the warriors run out of puff, but if they keep playing the way they have been, then Manly need to bring our A game.

As for Cronulla, i think they might just get Melb. Melb have been shaky and the third time should be the charm. Cam Smith should get a 2 week holiday and Crocker is almost on a promise too. I wont be surprised mid week if charges are dropped and Bird slides back into the Sharks side either, disgusted but not surprised.

Track Coastal
22nd Sep 2008, 09:13
I was a religious RL follower especially when Brisbane, Illlawarra and Newcastle joined the comp. Haven't been as closely followed since the Super League fiasco.

But to the question...

Track Coastal Juniorest who plays both rugby codes and knows all tells me Manly by a nose in great game.

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2008, 09:30
Tend to agree. I've thought for the last couple of months that Manly and Melbourne should have been equal favourites, and I have no doubt that Melbourne are not the team they were.

Trouble is, like most RL supporters I hate Manly with a passion. Still, I think they probably deserve it this year.

Capt.Grumpy
22nd Sep 2008, 09:37
Go Western Suburbs (The Magpies)..........Oh that's right they no longer exist :sad:

Track Coastal
22nd Sep 2008, 09:39
most RL supporters I hate Manly with a passion
Thats from the old 'Silvertails' tag when they bought everyobody from orginally Rox Messup from the amateur code and then O'Connor to anyone who was a mercenary between Weipa and Albury.

Eg. Dale Shearer...loved him in full maroon, hated in the other shaded.

henry crun
22nd Sep 2008, 10:06
Please forgive the intrusion of a non Aussie, but I have a question for one of you fans.

Whenever NRL appears on the sports news the commentator is shouting hysterically and, for the most part, unintelligibly, is there a special school where they learn how to do that, or does it come naturally ? :)

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2008, 12:13
I agree, Mr Crun. I think it's because the bogans who form the majority of its supporter base like it that way. You should try listening to the motor racing commentators; they make the League guys sound like John Arlott.

Fairly similar to canned laughter really; some people are so stupid they need to be told when to laugh.

Little Lady
22nd Sep 2008, 12:24
Concur with Richo.

Melbourne play dirty and don't deserve to be in the GF.

Go the Sea Eagles

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/04oct04/manly.gif

mphysflier
22nd Sep 2008, 12:29
Binos

I have a feeling you may need to explain to a non-Aussie what a bogan is.....

cheers

Mphysflier (ex North Sydney bears fan :{)

Capt.Grumpy
22nd Sep 2008, 13:05
Bogan..............try this link

BOGAN.com.au - Definition (http://www.bogan.com.au/definition/index.php)

Capt.Grumpy
22nd Sep 2008, 13:07
Melbourne play dirty and don't deserve to be in the GF.

Try looking at the scoreboard :rolleyes:

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2008, 13:10
I have a feeling you may need to explain to a non-Aussie what a bogan is.....

I don't think there will be many non-Aussies reading this, do you?

haughtney1
22nd Sep 2008, 13:56
You guys might look a bit silly if the warriors roll the eagles this week.

Remember they have powerful motivation in the form of messers' Wiki :ok:

then again..who said ozzies were one eyed?:cool:

Binoculars
22nd Sep 2008, 14:59
Nothing one-eyed here, Haughtney. I for one would be delighted to see the Warriors win the comp. Even the most one-eyed Warriors fan would agree that consistency is not their strong point. They have already played two grand finals, I just suspect that raw emotion can't keep them going for another 160 minutes. Manly have simply done their job quietly and without fuss all season. Like the Broncos they inspire intense hatred from outside, but that doesn't change any facts. Des Hasler should certainly be coach of the year, unless the Warriors win, in which case Mr Cleary would be a lay down misere.

It's possible that most reasonable Aussies don't hate Kiwis as much as Mr Crun would like to think we do. But like Qld vs NSW, NSW vs Victoria, England vs Scotland, Wales etc and the USA vs everyone, it's the thought that counts. Get it out of your system here, then meet up for a drink afterwards. It's the way we do things in this country.

Little Lady
23rd Sep 2008, 00:47
Try looking at the scoreboard

The scoreboard proves nothing when penalties go astray because the refs don't call them. Try watching the game :rolleyes:

Many grapple and high tackles have gone 'unnoticed' against Melbourne so they haven't climbed to the top of the ladder through fair play.

maximus
23rd Sep 2008, 00:59
Many grapple and high tackles have gone 'unnoticed' against Melbourne so they haven't climbed to the top of the ladder through fair play.

Aaww.....didums,didums. Brisbane and other teams robbed again by refereeing decisions. To think this has occurred all season :hmm: Give me a break, get over it :ugh:

Richo77
23rd Sep 2008, 01:59
Give it a rest Maximus! You think Melb play fairly? or perhaps a better question; whilst their tactics are within the "laws" of the game do you think they are in the spirit of the game?

Hate to be the one to tell you, but i havent met many people who do.

Ps.. go the EAGLES!!

max1
23rd Sep 2008, 02:45
I was most surprised to see the Kiwis turn up for work two weeks in a row. Doubt they'll do it for three. Guinness Book of Records new edition launched last week, otherwise they would be in there.
Warriors have some great big game players, Price, Tate, etc. Always hard to beat in NZ. Away is a different story. However did tip them to beat Melbourne. Storm are looking brittle, impressive cattle not playing well.
Would love to see a Manly-Cronulla GF, takes me back to the early seventies. The Beaver deserves another Premiership.

Like This - Do That
23rd Sep 2008, 04:43
Would love to see a Manly-Cronulla GF, takes me back to the early seventies.

I am dreading the Sharks making the grand final ... they'll lose ... again ... break our hearts ... again ... not sure I could take it. Lose to Manly? UUGGHH:yuk::{:eek:

Frankly, the AMCO Cup win just doesn't cut it anymore. But a premiership? I lost hope years ago.

Like This - Do That
23rd Sep 2008, 04:58
... the commentator is shouting hysterically and, for the most part, unintelligibly ...

Aaarr, good ol' Rabbits Warren. He might be a very nice fellow, I don't know, I've never met him; but as a commentator I CAN'T STAND HIM! Curiously enough my mother in law thinks he is wonderful.

OK I've that off my chest ... normal programming resumes.

henry crun
23rd Sep 2008, 05:31
You are wrong Binos, I do not believe that most reasonable Aussies hate Kiwis, and I cannot recollect posting anything which could have caused you to make that assumption.

The unreasonable ones ? thats a different story. :)

Track Coastal
23rd Sep 2008, 07:01
I do not believe that most reasonable Aussies hate Kiwis,
You were loved manning the artillery like bionic men that saved most of D Company 6RAR at Long Tan, August 1966 (108 Aussies versus 2500 NVA).

You are hated for about 15mins every time we trudge from the ground deflated after your black juggernaut pips us in the other code (I did the walk of shame from lang Park two Saturday's ago as I did in 2006).

We love you when you beat South Africa (in anything).

Its like a marriage - it has its ups and downs.

Track Coastal
23rd Sep 2008, 07:03
Aaarr, good ol' Rabbits Warren. He might be a very nice fellow, I don't know, I've never met him; but as a commentator I CAN'T STAND HIM!
Anyone remember Jack Gibson commenting? The exact opposite, slow talking with a growly monotone, a prince of understatement and dryer than a dead dingo's.

tinpis
23rd Sep 2008, 07:09
Underarm bowling?....oh....ARL?...hmmm.... I reckon the Roosters...:rolleyes::ugh:

Howard Hughes
23rd Sep 2008, 08:33
I did the walk of shame from lang Park two Saturday's ago as I did in 2006
Did the same walk in 2006, found them to be very gracious WINNERS!!;)

maximus
23rd Sep 2008, 09:05
Give it a rest Maximus! You think Melb play fairly? or perhaps a better question; whilst their tactics are within the "laws" of the game do you think they are in the spirit of the game?

Richo, we're talking about "Thugby Lagoo" here ....... "spirit of the game" :rolleyes: for fcuk's sake it is not some form of noble pursuit :*

Track Coastal
23rd Sep 2008, 09:18
Did the same walk in 2006, found them to be very gracious WINNERS!!
Its the pissed ones lining the bars on Caxton St (whom have not gone into the ground) taunting as you flee.

Quickly stopped by... "g'day bro, good win, do you know who David Kirk is" (quickly ascertain if they know the game or just playing taunt-the-gold as they jump up and down right in front your pathway wailing nah nah nah etc)?

Last week one screamed at us me from 6 inches in front of my face (I was amongst the first punters out of the ground with my colleagues)..."we are only hear to take your f**king money and smash you at rugby". "I love you too son".:rolleyes:

The ones on both sides who love and understand the game are gracious.

I was having a cold beverage with Greg Martin on Saturday, he said his contacts in the current ABs and his old opponents in the ABs believe that Brisbane is now a home test.:eek:

Sydney next year, no more Brissie tests for a while.

Their onfield competive spirit and will-to-win is to be admired; Some of the bogans that follow them off field here need a severe kick in the arse.

Sorry for the union thread drift.

Howard Hughes
23rd Sep 2008, 09:29
To be honest I think the Melbourne tests are the closest thing we have to a home match! Even in Sydney you could be forgiven for thinking that you had just walked into Eden Park!:ok:

Wod
23rd Sep 2008, 13:31
As a Sharkies fan from quite a long way back, I fancy a Sharks and Warriors GF.

Remember the days of the Sorensen brothers?

Rule3
23rd Sep 2008, 21:24
All you blokes and blokettes north of the Murray, are P!ssed Off and:{that a State that doesn't play Rugby League has a team that has won 2 Premierships in its short life.:ok: being of the Binos vintage I have been lucky enough to see some of the great Manly and Cronulla players in their prime. Eadie, Langlands, Fulton, Steve Rogers etc. I don't care who wins as long as it is a good game and someone in the Sandpit is showing it live.:D

gupta
23rd Sep 2008, 23:59
Wod

Would you be talking about that great farnarkling champion, Dave Sorensen ?

Try here: YouTube - Farnarkling Commentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFOImv3aTyo)

Wod
24th Sep 2008, 06:49
Good one Gupta:ok:

However I was talking about his uncles Dane and Kurt, Kiwis whose farnarkling proclivities were never revealed in the shire.

Binoculars
26th Sep 2008, 16:36
Well, what a disappointment was the first major qualifying preliminary semi-final or whatever they call it. The AFL semis have been utterly predictable and boring, and the GF probably will be too. Until now the NRL semis have been exciting, but Sharks vs Storm was a non-event.

Cronulla lived down to LTDT's pessimistic expectations to the tune of 28-0. There were a few positive points for coach Ricky to take out of it, but only in the second half, and mainly from players who won't be there next year.

Kimmorley had a shocker in the first half, but I thought played very well in the second. Gallen especially showed touches of handling skills that would befit a class five-eighth, but you just have to say that no matter what Cronulla came up with the Melbourne defence was superb even while their attack was nowhere near its best.

Manly and the Warriors would both be very worried. Let's hope tomorrow's game gives us a spectacle.

Wod
27th Sep 2008, 08:07
I have to agree Binos.

Sharks didn't even snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, as was once their wont. They basically failed to turn up.

There's always next year:sad:

Rule3
27th Sep 2008, 09:59
Good one Binos,:ouch: your pick:O for next week?:ok:
Go the Mexicans.:D

Howard Hughes
27th Sep 2008, 10:06
Mexicans for me...;)

Written spoken and authorised by a Mexican on behalf of the Mexican party!

Track Coastal
27th Sep 2008, 11:04
I dream of a set-of-six without a forward pass. The definition of a 'flat' pass seems to have changed over the last few years. I had hoped the finals would be different. :rolleyes:

Wod
27th Sep 2008, 12:20
Settle TC.

You will want contested scrums with real props and a hooker next.

You romantic you!

Track Coastal
27th Sep 2008, 13:12
Nah, League scrums have always been soft on the push and shove (and I too remember hard man Dane Sorensen as a bookend at Caltex).

Its a running game but the refs letting the forward passes go drives me nuts. At least three of Manly's tries tonight had a dodgy flat one.

Anyway Bret Stewart is a sweet sweet footballer (wanna come to union son and be a Wallaby fullback?) and Steve Menzies may just go out carrying a Winfield Cup (or whatever the Daly M staue thingy is called now).

Binoculars
27th Sep 2008, 16:04
Hmm. TC, I come from the school where if a ball floated forward it was a forward pass. If the player who took it was infront of the passer he was offside. I'm not sure when the term "deliberately forward" was coined, and still have no idea when the trajectory of the ball was deemed irrelevant as long as it "left the hand" backwards. But like it or not, that is how the rules are interpreted now. I don't think any league stalwart can really complain when we see passes five metres forward being routinely called legal in the rugger buggers' game.

For what it's worth, I saw only one blatant forward pass in tonight's game and seven tries to a consolation in the dying minutes leaves no room for complaint.

Rule 3, I see no reason to change my mind about the GF result. The best two teams all season have made it, but today's AFL final should shake any complacency out of the participants.

Melbourne's defence was awesome against Cronulla, but what they were defending against wasn't awe-inspiring. Manly today I thought were awesome in all facets of the game; they simply didn't let the Kiwis play their game.

I can't see a blowout from either side, both defences are too good, so it will be close and anything is possible. It's still Manly by 7 for mine, much as it hurts me to say it. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

Track Coastal
28th Sep 2008, 08:11
From an era where big hits were tackles, not shoulder charges (cowards modus operandi and pretending to be the Boyds, Gillmeisters and Davidsons in the new millennia).

Don't get misty eyed now Wod!
http://www.eraofthebiff.com/p-53-10.jpg

Refs and touch judges looking the other way...
The generic passing per se is backwards and top notch, the one that is dodgy is the short 'popped' ball (0-3ft) after the ball carrier has drawn the tackler and has a runner off his hip (which is what, 50% of the line breaks?).

Forward passing in union result in howls of derision from against the ref and perpetrator. For some reason, in the 13 man code 'slightly forward' when close in seems to now be de rigeur from the refs and crowd's perspectives.
I don't think any league stalwart can really complain when we see passes five metres forward being routinely called legal in the rugger buggers' game.
Quite a sweeping generalisation.

Care to elaborate with a recent example from this year Binos (excluding the two clangers in the RWC07 quarter and grand finals where the crowd went nuts)? There was one from each side two weeks ago at Suncorp but neither of which resulted in a try.

Considering that Super 14 is on Foxsports, The Currie Cup is on Foxports, The Air New Zealand Cup is on Foxsports, The Six nations is on Foxsports, The Guiness Premiership and Heineken Trophy is on Setanta, and the tests that do not include Australia (9 mainstream test playing nations excluding the Lions, Pacific islands and Australia) are on a mixture of both cable channels, I'm intrigued as to how you came to such a conclusion and sweeping generalisation.

Now, how long before a French Or British Rugby Club offers Stewart $1M pa, he's only 23?

Wod
28th Sep 2008, 08:43
Thanks TC for the Sorensens photo:ok:

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Interesting debate now starting up, and getting a little media attention, which asks if a recombination of the Rugby codes should be considered now that both are fully professional.

That would focus attention on forward passes and scrums.

Track Coastal
28th Sep 2008, 10:07
Thats happening with the ELV's which has made the game seriously fast. Needless to say, the British unions are opposed because of the slow grinding fatty-gets-a-game style of rugby they like.

Read the laws and criticisms of the Laws here...
Experimental law variations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_law_variations)

The last test between us and the Blacks at Lang Park was my first international with the ELVs and the pace of the game was just simply, simply amazing.

Wod, there are three codes at the moment: 6 nations traditional, SANZAR ELV; and, League. I like watching League again to see who could come across since it became a 'game show'. Prior to 1997 (Super League) I was a big big fan and religious about the game (and played quite a bit on Sundays after rah rah Saturdays in Townsville) it was THE game in the 80s!!

Of the current crop, any good player WILL get poached (a reversal eh after Price, O'Connor, Papworth etc?).

Do we have them as Wallabies or as French or English Mercenaries?

If the ELVs don't get pushed as the standard because fat poms want to walk to a line-out, there are bigger issues still - a North/South split but the North has the money.

Interesting times.

Wod, do you have Austar/Foxsports?

Track Coastal
29th Sep 2008, 12:18
I'm intrigued, should we or should we not?
ARU has the right stance on overseas players: Mortlock - rugbyheaven.com.au (http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/keep-them-out-mortlock/2008/09/29/1222650974920.html)

Before the f*ckem-they're-union types go right off, at these incomes, the creme de la creme of the NRL will be in Europe in the coming years playing Union.

Wod
29th Sep 2008, 12:54
I work with Foxsports - although I'm a sometime watcher. Not a complete sporting person.

Track Coastal
29th Sep 2008, 13:57
I understand. Next time I'm in SEQ can we do a pint (my shout)?

gupta
2nd Oct 2008, 05:52
Three days away from the Final, better bring this back to the front page

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/timbo666_bucket/200px-Mnlywarringah.jpg

Richo77
2nd Oct 2008, 07:14
Solid work Gupta. Just met one of Manly's trainers whilst having a beer, top bloke and had the low down on the boys, all fighting fit and got a good game plan.. dont expect to see Billy Slater doing much except getting smashed!

It's the Year of the Beaver!!

Defenestrator
2nd Oct 2008, 12:21
Anyone know if the game can be watched live online? Won't be near a TV that is broadcasting it so hoping to catch it on the net.

D.

Howard Hughes
2nd Oct 2008, 12:30
What country are you in? Try Setanta!:ok:

Rule3
2nd Oct 2008, 18:49
Check out MyP2P.:ok:

Howard Hughes
2nd Oct 2008, 23:20
The Manly bandwagon seems to be gaining momentum, both in the press and around town, all it means is that come Sunday night there is going to be a lot of unhappy Sydneysiders and one happy pruner from Mackay!;)

Richo77
3rd Oct 2008, 00:53
Drinking this early in the morning Howard? Unhappy Sydneysiders, oh that did make me laugh, cheers!

Howard Hughes
3rd Oct 2008, 01:43
It's OK to drink in the morning if you've been on nightshift, wanna join me? http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/drinkingbuds.gif

Richo77
3rd Oct 2008, 02:01
Fair call HH, i would love to join you but only if we are toasting the Eagles!!

(I just had to drag myself past the pub, its stinkin hot and i have a killer thirst, but unfortunately there is work to be done.. 90 minutes, its only 90 minutes.. hey! 89 minutes..)

Howard Hughes
3rd Oct 2008, 02:04
The Eagles? Don't they play in the AFL?;)

Richo77
3rd Oct 2008, 02:43
Yuk yuk!.. ah witticisms.

Like This - Do That
3rd Oct 2008, 03:55
It will be with a slightly clenched jaw, but I think for the first time ever I'll be barracking for Sea Eagles.

Interesting debate now starting up, and getting a little media attention, which asks if a recombination of the Rugby codes should be considered now that both are fully professional.

It would be a takeover, and would be utterly ignored at the Rugby League grassroots and spectator level. If 'Leaguies' want to watch rugger they can, they can even play if they want; many (most?) choose not to. What would their reaction be if the Rugby League world was swallowed in toto in a so-called 'merger' ..... ?

Essentially they'd shrug their shoulders and go on playing Rugby League and ignore the changes at the elite level. Within a couple of months Rugby League competitions would be running again, under RL rules (laws?). Most of the elite players playing would have walked away from their former contracts, and I suspect the erstwhile Rugby League authorities wouldn't even bother chasing those players through the courts.

Just my $0.02 worth.

'CARN MANLY! :{

Binoculars
3rd Oct 2008, 04:30
come Sunday night there is going to be a lot of unhappy Sydneysiders and one happy pruner from Mackay!

The Mackay Ppruner doesn't really care who wins, though like all RL fans except Manly supporters I can't stand them. But then I can't stand Canterbury and St George either.

I'm old enough to have seen many Qld/NSW games before State of Origin, and those scars never heal, so I will always support a Qld team against one from NSW, but the only real passionate desire I have is to beat the cockroaches at State of Origin. Always and forever.

I'm looking forward to Sunday because I think and hope it will be a good game. I'm sorry Cameron Smith isn't involved for his and the team's sake, but the defence of both teams is so good I can't see it being anything but close. I just think that on balance Manly probably deserve to win it for their performances during the year. I won't be having any money on it though.

May the better team win!

Capt.Grumpy
3rd Oct 2008, 04:38
but the only real passionate desire I have is to beat the cockroaches at State of Origin. Always and forever.

It's OK Binos, the Sheffield Shield starts soon so you can watch the Blues give Qld. another thumping. :ok:

Track Coastal
3rd Oct 2008, 12:43
Three Rugby League fans were walking back from the SCG when one noticed a foot sticking out of the bushes by the side of the Road.

They stopped and discovered a nude female unconscious and near death so one of them phoned the police and also requested an ambulance.

Out of respect and propriety, the Souths fan took off his cap and placed it over one of the female's breasts.

The Knights fan took off his cap and placed it over her other breast.

Following their lead, but with great reluctance, the Manly fan took off his cap and placed it over her girly part.

The police arrived first and an officer began to conduct his investigation.

First he lifted up the Souths cap, replaced it and made an entry in his notebook.

Next, he lifted the Knights cap and replaced it; making more notes in his book.

Then the officer lifted the Manly cap, replaced it, lifted it again, replaced it, lifted it a third time and replaced it one last time - shaking his head in disbelief.

The Manly fan was extremely annoyed and challenged him,

"What are you, a pervert or something mate? Why do you keep lifting and looking, lifting and looking?"

"Well," said the officer, "I'm a little surprised and confused. "Normally, when you look under a Manly cap ... You'll find an asshole."

Hey Grumpy I am so glad you were ppruning today, it means you were not flying. I flowed a sequence (under check so must pronounce my vowels eh wot ;)) that involved your 19 losing a minute (jammed between a pornstar 321 and a link 400 and it was pi55ing down), the Approach lad working you gave you another minute by cancelling STAR and track lengthening :uhoh: and when I came home I asked SWMBO if you had called irate....phew.;):ok:

Capt.Grumpy
3rd Oct 2008, 13:07
Nah mate, was on a reserve day.After 9 now so having a Chivas whilst ppruning

Track Coastal
3rd Oct 2008, 13:35
"Hell hath no fury than Capt GrumpyNOT doing 245KIAS on the drop to the middle marker scorned.'

Howard Hughes
5th Oct 2008, 08:47
Bugger!:{

Getting ready to eat my words...;)

Track Coastal
5th Oct 2008, 09:14
...and the veil was stripped from the Melbourne Mercenaries and they were found to be nothing but Turnstiles and Touchfootballers as tacklers. Without the veil, the pretension was for all to see and the Lord said it was good.

How good was it to see Steve Menzies score his 180th try in his final and 349th match? Party hard fellas!:D

Howard Hughes
5th Oct 2008, 09:28
The Steve Menzies try was a very fitting finale...:ok:

Takan Inchovit
5th Oct 2008, 09:36
Amazing, even though there was a hippy on their team, Manly still won! :hmm:

Binoculars
5th Oct 2008, 10:47
Unbelievable scoreline. The most complete team game since Brisbane vs St George in 92 and maybe since the Chooks in 1975.

Well done Manly, some of their football was stunning, and Beaver's try couldn't have been scripted better unless it had happened right on the stroke of full time.

Thus endeth the Melbourne superiority; they really should have come out of the last three years with more than one GF win.

Track Coastal
5th Oct 2008, 11:21
Stewart, Robertson and the Wolfman played some of the best fullback wingers games seen for a long time. I thought Robertson had the Clive Churchill medal sown up but Kite had a big one as well.

Brett Stewart is a freak and I'm going to go out on a limb and say he is the best fullback playing any rugby code in the world