PDA

View Full Version : PC problems, need help here guys...

TowerDog
19th Jun 2001, 00:36
My old clunker, a 95/96 Dell 133 Mhz Windows 95 is about to hit the grave yards as a new and improved version is being delivered tomorrow.

I have documents and stuff I want to transfer
to the new machine.
Copying stuff to a diskette would be the way to go.
In the last few days however, my old machine does not know it has an A drive.
Don't know if it is a software or hardware problem, but when I insert the disk and the little run light comes on, a message on the screen says: Insert disk.
I does not know it is already there.

Been trying to look for a reset button or something to bring the machine back to original configuration, but not joy.

Also, how do I transfer my Internet bookmarks and e-mail address books to the new machine?
With or without the A-drive?

Thanks for any and all expert advise, computers and I are like cats and dogs..

(Layover in FLL, give a call, I am buying the beer...)

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

BOAC
19th Jun 2001, 01:21
I'm sure there are experts here who will tell you the detail, but I suggest you take out your hard drive and install it in the new machine either as a second primary or a slave, and BINGO!

FireDragon
19th Jun 2001, 01:33
You could always give Laplink a try. Failing that, ask whoever sells you your new system to do it for you - many will, at no extra charge

FD

FireDragon
19th Jun 2001, 01:38
...Also, forgot to add, have a look at your BIOS system to ensure the disk drive is enabled, (but with the light flashing, it sound like it is).

FD

OzPax1
19th Jun 2001, 04:37
Get Norton Ghost. It automates the whole Process. Here's the link for the website:- Norton Ghost 2001 Personal Edition (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/)

OzPax1 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Bokkerijder
19th Jun 2001, 15:26
Maybe a bit stupid, but if your A drive doesn't work anymore you could try to compress everything with WinZip and then email it from your old computer to an email account and then later download it with your new computer....

Depends ofcourse how much you have to copy, how muchspace there is on your emailserver (usually around 10 MB) and how much a local call costs.

Good luck !

------------------
¡ Yo quiero Taco Bell !

Bokkerijder
19th Jun 2001, 15:39
FLL ?

Fort Liquordale ?

I used to live in Dania Beach flying for Gulfstream.

Needless to say I had a great time !

------------------
¡ Yo quiero Taco Bell !

aisleman
19th Jun 2001, 18:22
I have documents and stuff I want to transfer to the new machine.

If your new machine has Win Me or 98SE you should be able to connect it to the old one using a serial cable. Within the Accessories you should have an option to connect two PCs together - I can't remember the exact wording used but it should be fairly obvios and probably located within the communications subfolder (I use Win2000 which has the same facility but is accessed by a different method). Once you're in it you can choosed which PC should be the host and which the guest - the instructions are fairly straight forward. The result will be that you'll be able to transfer any data between the two pcs at great speed.

Or consider getting a zip drive...piece a cake to install and super fast at backing up (and it won't cost and arm and a leg).

Also, how do I transfer my Internet bookmarks and e-mail address books to the new machine?

Search for a folder called 'favorites' and copy it accross (or e-mail it to yourself as suggested above)

address book: assuming you use Outlook, if you do a search for address*, you should find a file with the icon of an opened book - and probably called 'address book' unless you changed the default setting when you installed/configured your e-mail program.

Thanks for any and all expert advise, computers and I are like cats and dogs..

...like me and turbulence http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Cheers
aisleman http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

TowerDog
19th Jun 2001, 18:57
Thanks for all advise gents, problem is now solved and the old computer will be donated to my neigbor this evening.

The problem with the A drive turned out to be ,ah, operater induced: I kept feeding the thing bad diskettes.
Did not think 3 diskettes in a row could be bad..
They were.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...