PDA

View Full Version : Injured Pax at China Airlines

Clive
20th Sep 2008, 22:22
I hear on the news channels that 11 pax were injured aboard a China Airlines 744 on its way from Taipei to Bali. Anyone have any details? It seems very quiet so far.

The news reported a heavy landing, but then mentioned turbulence and a "drop of 10,000 feet". News journalists are the worst source of accurate information on these things, so it would be great to hear the real story!

Emperor ShiHuangTi
21st Sep 2008, 04:34
There is no surprise in CAL when a high riding Chief Pilot can do a +2G Landing on a Charter into Guangzhou and got away with it.......flew it home without a a proper heavy landing check carried out....

Clive
21st Sep 2008, 20:56
Just found this piece of excellent journalism on the net.....

Flight CI687 of China Airline yesterday morning suffered from sunny-air-turbulence and made 26 passengers and 4 flight attendants injured as leaving for Bali, Indonesia.

China Airlines pointed that this flight took off from Taiwan Taoyuan international airport and met the sunny-air-turbulence at 11:25 a.m. over Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. The plane had shaken up and down 200 feet for 10 seconds. Many seriously injured passengers did not tie well the seat belts

Chen Pong-yu (陳鵬宇), the spokesman of China Airlines said that, the airplane keep flying to Bali, Indonesia after the airplane commander checked everyone’s situation.

Before they met the sunny-air- turbulence, the radar had detected another air turbulence. So, the airplane commander asked the passengers to return to seats with belts. But it was too late to avoid the undetected sunny-air- turbulence.

I saw another news item saying that the aircraft dropped from 35,000 feet to 25,000 feet. Surely someone here has up to date information?

If there were broken bones over Kota Kinabalu (one report said a few pax with broken necks) why was there no diversion to Singapore?

ACMS
22nd Sep 2008, 07:28
If they were over BKI they could have landed there or in Brunei if they had injured pax requiring hospialisation. A lot closer than Sin, and the Doctors would be ok too.

Tee Emm
22nd Sep 2008, 11:12
Old Chinese proverb says real men don't go around bad weather just bash straight through. Passengers fault if they get hurt - not crew.

powerstall
22nd Sep 2008, 11:21
Is the "sunny-air-turbulence" same as Clear Air Turbulence? I'm quite confused...:ugh:

southernmtn
22nd Sep 2008, 12:55
No.
"Sunny-air-turbulence" is SAT.
"Clear Air Turbulence" is CAT.

Comprende?

TWN PPL
22nd Sep 2008, 14:10
NO Tee Emm

With the Seatbelt sign on. Most got hurt were the Crews.

leand
16th Oct 2008, 08:58
i actually was on the flight and i don't believe the 10 000 ft. there was quite a heavy drop, but just for a couple of seconds. what nobody wrote is that in the back of the plane some parts of the ceiling and some oxygenmasks broke down.
i sat in row 28 where there was nobody injured and think it was quite funny! (had my seatbelt fastened of course)
sth u never wanna hear was the flight attendent's (he broke his hand) announcement that all doktors should please report to the cabin crew immediately..
oh and: seatbelt sign was on all time. even before the quite heavy tourbulences before the drop.