PDA

View Full Version : Airline Pilots who came from nothing.

Francie81
20th Sep 2008, 20:59
Ok this might sound like a daft thread I've set up but not really considering anything in thsi world is possible if you want it and put your kind to it.

So here goes is there anyone on here whom maybe reading this that came from nothing to fulfill they're dream of becoming an airline pilot? For examples maybe someone who worked on the min wage, or sold they're house, got a bank loan you know what am edging at. If so I'd love to hear it cos am 27 and I went to my first FLYER show today which of course was all new to me and I got a wealth of information to make the life changing career, I've no experience what so ever and just work 39 pw with my intention of saving to fund my flying career.

Deano777
20th Sep 2008, 21:45
Hi Francie

Welcome to the bug that is Aviaiton, for what it's worth, I left school at 16, had ok GCSEs, went to college, learnt my trade doing a fantastic job that I loved for a long time before turning to aviation. I was "old" when I got into the system, I took the modular route, I had an ok upbringing.
Basically nothing was going for me in any respects, especially if you put the job on a pedestal and stereotype the kind of person you "think" would fit the bill, I most certainly wasn't this person.

All I can say is that if I can do it then anyone can, (provided you can fly & pass exams of course) believe me on that one. If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

D777

Francie81
20th Sep 2008, 22:17
Fairplay to ya deano I just thought it was an interesting thread to create because am sure 9 out of 10 online pilots either had a wealthy family to help them along or happen to be lucky enough to be taken on board for cadet sponsorship programme because of a superior educational background. My situaion is that I was on an passenger plane to 3 destinations in my lifetime with the 2 being this year to florida and I said yep I want to get into aviation, I only wokr in a factory but can save bucket loads cos I don't drink (really) or smoke, still live at home so something is telling me its possible so am going for it, first step am going to make is to get an introductory lesson just to make sure flying is really for me before I spend ridculous money in achieving a goal. So yes am obviously going to be taken the modular route also.

AppleMacster
20th Sep 2008, 22:23
Francie,

Welcome to aviation and the long road to an ATPL!

Like many others whom who you will meet on the flight deck, I had a previous life in a completely different field from flying. I was a conductor and pianist in London's West End. I'd been to University and done a degree in Music, but ended up flying when Showbusiness lost its charm and I looked to build on my PPL. With a very supportive wife, we sold our flat in London (our only asset) and spent the equity on getting the CPL/IR and an FI rating. I did it as a modular course. The ATPLs by distance learning are hard work – sitting at the kitchen table alone everyday with only your books for company is pretty lonely!

Six months after instructing at weekends as a Flight Instructor, (working in the week for a certain fruit-named computer manufacturer) I started a type rating on the Airbus and have been airline flying for eighteen months for a UK carrier.

I was 31 when I started on the ATPL exam study and have just turned 35. I fly with a couple of Captains who are younger than me (one is 29), but it really doesn't matter. In a few years time, the age difference will be even more irrelevant. Being a bit older can be quite an advantage sometimes; no experience in life is wasted and it certainly makes for a more interesting time in the flight deck with some war stories in your back pocket!

As with anything in life, there will be hard decisions to make during your training; the worst one for me was starting my type rating course knowing that my wife was expecting our baby only two weeks after the course was due to finish. Having been in a holding pool for six months and needing to move on, I decided to do the course. Naturally, AppleMacster Junior arrived just as I was about to go into the sim, 200 miles away! It was another two days before I saw him.

With a half-decent plan, the humility to accept that you will make mistakes, but the ability and determination to correct them and improve your performance, it can all work out in the end. Be under no illusion that 90% of the job is routine – for me, it's the people who make it interesting. I was well-briefed on this by a couple of well-worn pilot friends, and it has actually turned out to be much more rewarding than advertised!

Good luck!

AppleMacster

cessnagirl
20th Sep 2008, 22:31
If that's your dream, Francie, then follow it. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either but none the less that didn't stop me putting myself through university and pilot training college.

At the moment, I've a reasonably good job in aviation, but no pilot job as yet after a year of getting my licence. Still you have to persevere. Achievement is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent determination.

If this is what you want, go get it.

Good luck, Cessnagirl

L'aviateur
20th Sep 2008, 23:09
Very naive to assume that a wealthy background is required to become a pilot; really just determination is needed. If your young, work hard and work lots of hours it's within you're grasp to pay for it. The difficulty really is for people with a family and mortgage who decide later in life to change, thats the realy challenge.

SNS3Guppy
20th Sep 2008, 23:15
I was once homeless. More than once, actually. As a kid we were financially unenhanced, and frequently without. During my flying career I hit such a point once as well...and lived in a hangar with the airplanes for nearly a year. When I learned to fly, I didn't have a car, and bicycled the 15 miles each way to the airport. I spent a two week period while flying air ambulance in which the meager salary didn't cover the needs, and had no money or food save for a couple of free items from coupons in the local paper...for a couple of weeks.

I've often had to work two jobs. I've had to move. I've never owned a new car. I still don't own a home.

There was a time when I couldn't conceive in my wildest dreams about flying, let alone flying for a living...but I've been doing it for a lifetime now, and plan to keep right on doing it. At the moment I fly a 747. I'd be just as happy flying anything else, and have been for many years.

Entering into a flying career and making it work will not be easy. The hardest part of learning to fly is paying for it, to be certain...but that's only the beginning. A great deal of commitment, and a willingness to sacrifice will be required on your part. Most certainly you can do it. The only question you must ask is whether you will.

Francie81
20th Sep 2008, 23:59
I want to thank you all for the kindly responses. See am looking at it from a perspectives point of view like I don't think I'd be happy just to retire like a robot in factory accepting a nice pension, I want to go out and have something worth looking back on and I think to fly an airplane is the most amazing thing in the world, think if we want to achieve something you have to grab it by the scruff of the neck, the same way the team I play for will have to when we play in the final on sat and the reward is a medal in my back pocket, I can say the same not being a childhood dream it was like some switch went off in my head as soon as I jumped on a plane twice this year, so its like I don't want this to be a case of "never knowing what could of being" and guppy you hit the nail on the head when you say quote "The only question you must ask is whether you will" now taht I think will be a big factor with me cos my big weakness is motivation on my own mainly because I frew up without my father ya'know, anyway I'll keep yas posted and am glad to be part of all of this with you all giving great advice.

Thanks alot,
Francie

johnc21
21st Sep 2008, 00:29
Francie

Hi im John

I am glad that you started this thread.I was always the type of individual that works on the principle if you want something enough and absorb yourslef enough in it, it will start happening (ie live here and get tips galore!) fly sims, in other words live and breath aviation.But don't just dream about it..

I myself didn't walk out of my schooling doing a song and dance with my results, however about 8 months prior to that I had decided to become an airline pilot.
It was a dream for a long time about various things such as money, commitment, mental capacity to take it all in, but in my years in the "real world" if you like I found a quote which I like - "anything the mind can concieve, the mind can achieve" and anything I apply it to works out for me.

" "The only question you must ask is whether you will" now that I think will be a big factor with me cos my big weakness is motivation on my own mainly because I frew up without my father ya'know, anyway I'll keep yas posted and am glad to be part of all of this with you"

Regarding motivation, if it is what you really want in this life and you will know if it is,
I would recommend networking, get to know people in the industry, go online to forums, go to itunes and download video blogs of people doing the training all to keep your mind motivated and eyes on the prize.Just to mention also I have not started my training either but I know I will soon, and on that note please PM me for my email I would like to follow your progress and I will share my progress also if you fancy it. I could be your first contact from networking.......lol

Wishing you all the best
Regards
John

v6g
21st Sep 2008, 00:51
This thread is truly humbling.

G SXTY
21st Sep 2008, 09:16
Francie

I don't think there are many pilots who haven't been through some sort of sacrifice or hardship on the way to their first job. Driving to the airport each day is still a dream come true for me, but it took an awful lot of time, money and determination to get to this stage. I didn't quite live in a shoebox int' middle of road, but during my training I went through unemployment and a divorce, and stacked shelves in Sainsburys when that's what it took. I know people who have had it much tougher than me and have sold houses, moved half way across the world etc to follow their dream. For what it's worth, this thread is my story:

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/333092-zero-hours-airline-pilot-my-story.html

You'll find there's no such thing as a typical pilot. Looking around my crewroom, about the only thing we all have in common is a love of flying. An addiction even - we all need that fix of taking off and getting above the clouds - and if we're away from it for more than a few days, we start to get withdrawal symptoms. We have several ex-military guys, a couple of former policemen, one guy who used to be a teacher - I did 15 years in shipping before I managed to escape. As you can imagine, many different backgrounds and personalities, but we all share that love of flying. That's why we do the job.

You'll get lots of advice on here along the lines of 'follow your heart', 'chase your dream', 'tis better to try and fail than not to try at all', and that's great, but as someone who has recently been through it all, I would sound a note of caution. However you end up getting the licences, it's extremely expensive. Poor decisions or timing, or even just bad luck, can cost you thousands. No-one wants to admit it, but with the best will in the world there are some people who simply do not have the aptitude to be a commercial pilot. They struggle through commercial training, committed too deeply to back out, and even if they eventually manage to get through the CPL and IR, they get found out at airline selection. To be frank, they should never have got involved in the first place.

My advice then, is to do lots of research and have a well thought out plan (based on worst case scenarios) before you commit serious money to this game. I can imagine the armfuls of glossy brochures you will have picked up at the Flyer exhibition - I'm guessing there were lots of schools telling you there will be a pilot shortage in the future, and there has never been a better time to train as a pilot? I very much doubt there were any airlines recruiting though . . . Be sceptical. FTOs are not interested in your career prospects, they exist to make a profit, and they want your money - lots of it. Never forget that.

Forget the marketing spiel and warm words, I'd advise three things before you do anything else:

(1) If you haven't already done so, pop down to your nearest airfield and take a trial lesson. You'll know within 5 minutes whether or not this is for you. Out of earshot of the clubhouse, have a quiet chat with the instructor about how he got that commercial licence - most guys will give it to you straight, and it's often quite sobering.

(2) Get a class 1 medical. You don't actually need one for private flying, and it's amazing how far some people get into commercial training before they get round to this. If you can't pass a class 1, you can't fly commercially. End of.

(3) Get some independent aptitude testing (not from a flying school - they are hardly unbiased). I would strongly recommend the GAPAN aptitude tests, as they will give you a strong indication of your suitability to pass commercial training and airline selection.

Remember that the dream is well worth chasing, but always keep your feet on the ground and don't underestimate the hardships and challenges involved - there are many.

Best of luck whatever you do.

inner
21st Sep 2008, 11:01
@SNS3guppy : my deepest respect for you!!!!!!:ok:

I can assure: the road to become a pilot can and will be very hard. Even when you are a pilot, life is not always that shinny:

I always wanted to be a pilot, since i was a kid (like a lot i suppose). But the problem i was not a good student. My marks were always bad and had to fight to get a 5/10 mark for homework or a test. I remember when i was 16 i was kicked out of school because my marks were too low and the principel and teachers had the opinion i should do something easier . I even remember thats teachers told me to be realistic and putting the pilot dream out my head. Even to study after highschool for a bachelor, master was for them not realistic.(accoridng to them i was not intelligent enough). It was very hard to hear that from them. When i went to an easier school my marks were still not good and the teachers had the same opinion about me. But somehow i always kept the dream in my head and that is what you also should do. After graduation i ignored the opinions and i went for a bachelor. (not in aviation, did not have the money). And there i've learned how to study. Sounds crazy but i found out that i've always studied in a wrong way. And yes my marks were good. I still had to work hard but it paid of. After graduation i worked for an insurance company but i felt quit unhappy about my job. When i got the money i decided to give it a try. During the day i worked part time and during the evening i went to the flyingschool and yes i got everything.
After graduation i had to look 3 years to get my first job. In the meantime i did some flightseeing tours, attended some courses, was memer of a local flying club. It was also hard because i saw friends driving a BMW, having an nice appartment, nice girlfriend, having kids etc.

Now i'm finally a pilot, flying a nice jet, pay is good but it still hard. I don't have a social life anymore, i'm still single, far away from friends and family and living in a place i simply hate. But i achieved my dream (wish i could see the face of my former teachers)

So Francie everyone has his own story. If being pilot is really in your mind, just do it BUT be aware it is going to be hard, you get a lot of critics (which is not always bad) and you have to sacrifice anyway. No question about that.

Good luck :ok:

mrbarvid
24th Sep 2008, 21:32
here´s my short story...

my family never had much money..ever..
I grew up with a mom, two brothers and a sister. My mom worked as a nearse assistant, and she worked days, evenings and nights. So I learned very early on that I had to manage on my own. After a while mom lost her job and all of a sudden we´re on social well fare and so it continued!

Ever since I was a little boy I dreamt of becoming a pilot, and that dream followed me up through the years.
My first attemtp was to apply to a highschool were the trained pilots, I did´nt get in. So i got accepted to the technical side instead.

After that I did my military service.(now I had my mind set on going to the states to get my license). After military service I went to Kosovo as a soldier to save earn and save some money..well..thanks to 9/11 all school shut down for a while and you all now what happened to the industry.

I met a nice girl, and you all now what a nice girl can do.. But I never let my dream go!!!

During this time I had applied for a Proffessional Pilots Training at a Univeristy. But the test are very hard and they only accept 12-14 out of 600 applicants. I didn´t make it the first time.. so i thought OK..i need more money to finance it my self...so I went to Afghanistan as a peace keeping soldier to save up some more money..and risking my life for it!
I thought i might try the Prof. Pilot Uni again..and this time I made it.. so now I´m one out of 14 students who have the honor of attending this training, which is accually free! Im 29 years old and as of now living my dream. It has been a difficult road, and the story I´ve told here is the short version. Its been a lot rockier than that...

But the outer most thing that got me here is determination and the will to become what I always dreamt of!

So if you really wanna do it! I think its worth it in the end!!

Peace!

(sorry about spelling and such:))

SPEED-DEMON
24th Sep 2008, 23:35
Excellent thread to set up there and its reassuring to see that you can get into aviation in many different ways.
I took my introductory flight on Monday in a Cessna 152. I had done countless hours on the FS and had always had a keen interest in aviation and still do. My biggest concern was if I was going to be scared by flying such a small airplane. My instructor told me that the last thing HE was going to do was risk his life in a plane that might be unsafe. So I hopped in and he started the engine.
I had told him I flew the 172 on FS and had a good idea what to do. He replied to me as he pushed in the throttle to commence the take off roll "OK, look to rotate at 75kts!" . I froze and smiled at him and said, fine! My first time in a plane I flew the take off. He put me through to hairy experiences to see if I had the "bottle" to be a pilot. Like a full rudder turn inducing a dive for example :eek:!! I remained calm though.
Anyways here's the best bit. On the return leg to the airport we came down to 1400ft on base. I asked him was there much difference between landing in real life and landing in the sim's. He replied "you're going to find out for your self in a minute." . I thought this has to be a joke, I asked him was he suggesting I land the plane, my first flight. He said "well I'm not landing it, but I will keep a careful eye on you". So i applied the flaps to 20 turned final, slightly to the right, but jiggled with her to get her lined up. Slight cross wind so the nose was a tad off. He said he'd manage the throttle in case of a go around and take controls as soon as the nose wheel touched to keep it in the runway due to the angled entry on account of the cross wind. I just remember flairing and feeling a bit of left rudder to straighten it out and then a gentle bump, bump and we were down. I was so delighted with myself.

After this flight I can safely say I WILL get into aviation. If its as an instructor for PPL or as an airline pilot, it is for me. I do not have a rich family, grew up without a Father, done OK at school, and will have to do this alone, but I am starting to take more lessons to even get a PPL for the love of flying. After that if I manage to obtain a license to allow me to earn some cash from flying then great. But there is ways of doing it with no financial help and I will find one!

Sorry for the long post folks. But anything is possible in this world. ANYTHING