PDA

View Full Version : Seneca crashes

VS -1500 fpm
20th Sep 2008, 16:59
Any one got any news regarding the Seneca that crashed into the sea near Durban this afternoon?

Selfloader
20th Sep 2008, 17:08
Apparently not Durban but off Beira. Regrettably fatalities involved

birdlady
20th Sep 2008, 18:24
Oh no. :{:{:{

Searched in the local news and found no hits. Anyone got a link? I have a feeling I might know the pilot.

:sad::sad::sad:

highline
20th Sep 2008, 18:40
Have reason to believe it was ZS-LTX out from rand to Durban and then to Beira. Understand went down on the beach near Beira with fatalaties. Not good.

reinbobber
21st Sep 2008, 07:09
Saturday about 1430 local time a ZS-registered Seneca crashed on the Beira beach about 2 miles from my house and 4 miles from the airport. 6 people dead. There was no sign of fuel leakage. possibly they ran out of gas? Apparently the plane was coming from Durban. I just checked out the wreckage at close range -it is on the back of a truck at the airport. One tank has some fuel in and the other has none. Both props have two intact blades, one feathered and one not. The people who claimed to see the crash claimed it "fell" leading me to believe it wasn't in a landing attitude.

It looks like the registration was LTX

TooBadSoSad
21st Sep 2008, 07:16
Who was the operator? Was it a charter? Possibly Omni Air?

BDK 787
21st Sep 2008, 08:33
No, it was not Omni. Its was a ire and fly aswell. Dont know the experiance of the pilot.

planecrazi
21st Sep 2008, 09:32
Condolences to those invovled.

I would be interesting to know if this was a long range or short range Seneca and when last it re-fueled. I doubt Rand-Durban-Beira is possible with short range and must be nearer the limits of the long range. This is from my memory of 20 years ago flying them.

maxrated
21st Sep 2008, 11:37
FAVG to FQBR in a Seneca is just under 4 hours, assuming the plane was within MAUW at take off at FAVG with 6 POB it seems that it would have been a tight call fuel wise.

Condolences to all.:sad:

planecrazi
21st Sep 2008, 11:54
I also remember around 18 years ago (90/91), that "highway Hennie" did a similar thing in a blue and white Piper Chieftain. He flew Rand-Durban-Maputo-Paradise island (but too dark and late to land) and diverted to Beira and had both engine quit just on the boundary fence.

A sad story too!

Rootie
21st Sep 2008, 18:13
An eye witness told me this afternoon that the Seneca had been "playing around" overhead Beira flying up and down, and then ran out of fuel going in nose first. Very sad and strange.

WhinerLiner
22nd Sep 2008, 07:43
Rest in peace and condolences to all those left behind.

malmspilot
22nd Sep 2008, 12:18
Looking at both props, none of the blades show any rotational damage, and also the throttle quadrant has all levers in the idle, feather, and cut-off position. The gear was fully down and locked, not sure why the pilot would have the gear down trying to land on extremely soft and sandy area; planes touched down at the lowtide portion of the beach....very soft. Plane flipped at least once, so wonder if the gear did that. Severe damage to the whole plane tearing off both wings at the roots. Very sad for everyone.

kennyd
3rd Oct 2008, 04:38
Not that I have a morbid mind to see crash pictures but where is the link to these pictures that shows the props and throttel, or Malmaspilot did you see the crash site? May all RIP.
KD

Jamex
3rd Oct 2008, 07:44
Had the misfortune to be shown 12 photo's taken by some morbid moron immediately after the crash. It shows the wreckage with bodies in and around it. Serious trauma to the bodies. I had met the pilot and his wife a few weeks before the crash and they seemed like really nice people. My condolences to the families of all the victims. This was a tragic and avoidable accident. The pilot made a mistake and him, his wife and four others paid for that mistake with their lives. There is no higher price. The only positive in this case is, hopefully, the rest of us will take fuel management seriously and not just pay lip service to the ideal.