PDA

View Full Version : Re-starting an aviation career - Advice requested

aero68
20th Sep 2008, 08:00
Hi, I’ve recently decided to pursue a professional pilot career that I aborted 17 or so years ago when other job interests beckoned…

But now, I’m starting to research the best way(s) to do this - if anyone has suggestions/advice given my situation and the current realities of the global aviation industry, I’d be extremely grateful. Here’s my situation:

Flying Experience and Education:

CPL/IR (SEL and MEL), CFI, CFII [FAA]
370 Total Time, only 17 of it Multi
Undergraduate degree in Aviation from University of North Dakota's Scool of Aerospace Sciences (B. Sc. In Aeronautical Studies, 1991)
Haven’t flown regularly since 2000 (I’m not current, but I’ve kept my CFI/CFII current)
Current First Class medical certificate [FAA]Personal Factors:

Nationalities: USA and UK (dual citizenship)
Family Status: Separated, no kids (so effectively I can move anywhere in the world temporarily/permanently as I wish)
Financial Situation: around £20,000 (36,700USD) in the bank. (Of course I want to spend as little of my savings as possible, but I also want to fast-track myself because of my age, so time perhaps a bigger consideration.)
Lifestyle: I love to travel and am comfortable living in any country (I currently live in Central Asia). Actually, I would prefer to live outside of the US, but I will go wherever the jobs are.Other Factors:

I currently have a complimentary career as an English teacher teaching airline pilots to get them to ICAO Level 4… and talking about aviation and airplanes every day with my students has brought about my decision to get back into operational flying - I found I have an interest and a passion for it that I didn't have previously.... Besides, I can always use the English teaching (which I enjoy) as a part-time pursuit, or as a backup career if I ever lose my medical… and of course, any additional flight experience will only help my Aviation English teaching if/when I go back to it.
I don’t really want to flight instruct long-term, unless it’s ME instructing as a means to achieving a regional/airline job, for example.So, what path would you take if you were me? Multi hour building? A type rating (which one)? Getting a MEI rating and then ME instructing to build hours? Etc...

Any feedback and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

aero68

Halfwayback
20th Sep 2008, 08:15
Sorry to be a dampener to your keeness but a quick perusal of the many threads here will, I think, indicate that now is not really the time to resume your pursuit of a commercial aviation career.

With qualified and current pilots hitting the market as they are furloughed / laid off or just made redundant as airlines go under there is a glut of pilots that I think will take a couple of years to absorb into the global market place.

Few, if any major airlines are recruiting at the moment and when they do it is to replace those retiring; few are recruited for expansion.

My advice to you would be keep your contacts with the aviation community and wait at least 18 months.

Good luck

HWB

spinnaker
20th Sep 2008, 08:32
I have grave doubts that anyone will look at you for some time, airlines anyway.

My be you could target a 'dual role' (ie management/pilot/sales/marketing) with a corporate operator and put that degree of yours to good use. I think most would agree that the recruitment shop is closed for business, and will remain so for quite some time.

smith
20th Sep 2008, 10:07
Aero

Thanks for posting your CV on pprune.

Try becoming a comedian, your post made me laugh.

What have you been doing? Living in a cave for the past 6months?

Only option would be to try and get the MEI or IRI current again and get some instructing done. The airlines just not interested at the moment and that includes Ryanair.

aero68
20th Sep 2008, 10:35
Thanks all for the feedback.

To clarify, I'm obviously not looking for (or expecting) a pilot job now, but I wanted to start looking at short-term and long-term strategies to get back into it as a career before I get much older... and I freely admit I'm a bit out of the loop, but I'm trying to get back into it.

I didn't mean my original post to look like a CV, I just included whatever information, much of it circumstantial, that could help other posters give the most useful advice. I hope I didn't violate any forum rules, and will remove the post if asked.

Thanks for reading,
aero68

B2N2
20th Sep 2008, 11:57
Try becoming a comedian, your post made me laugh.

What have you been doing? Living in a cave for the past 6months?

That's not really the advice he's looking for Smith..........

To start with the obvious, your total time is very low.
One year ago you would have been hired by the Regionals with that sort of time, not now.
I assume you only have FAA certificates.
In that case you'll have to come back to the USA.
Pretty much the only job you qualify for now is instructing.
You will have to spend some to become current and proficient again.
I would recommend finding a school that has EFIS equipped aircraft, Avidyne, Garmin 1000. Work as a CFI till you at least have your ATPL. That will give you time to start networking and build some leads. The industry will hopefully change for the better in the 2 years you work as a CFI.

ChrisLKKB
20th Sep 2008, 16:52
Great looking CV but given the current climate I can't help thinking that someone is taking the p*ss here. If not, sorry but you have picked quite a time to choose to post it. IMO instructing is the way to start, it's very rewarding too if you don't mind working with people who are trying to kill you everyday :p
I'd try and find a school at an airport where lots of companies opperate out of, start networking and try and get yourself known, you can learn a lot hanging out in the pilots lounge and it may just lead to your first break.

Alternatively have you considered the US Airforce reserves ? A friend of mine ended up as a Captain on the KC135.

flyboymurphy
20th Sep 2008, 20:07
Hi Aero, as you may have concluded your choices like those of many are severely limited right now but there are options nonetheless and it is going to take you some time to get up to speed so time is good!
I suggest applying in the USA for a cfi job, that market seems to be pretty strong still.
You can make a living and build experience once again maybe do the MEi and build multi time as you progress. Then hopefully in a year or two you can move into a regional.
Also the areas of China and India etc.. need to train many pilots in the future,
may be you could cfi for some such companies and make valuable contacts along the way.
Don t lose heart, you need time to brush up, and it will take time before either you or the industry recovers, so start out at the bottom and follow whats going on out there (pprune will be a valuable source).
The good news is your capital outlay should be minimal just get that teaching job !
Don t worry about derogatory replies here as some do not understand that not everyone is as up to date with current affairs as they are.
And good luck !!!. The road to success is littered with the talented, but those who persevere will get there in the end.

Jay_solo
20th Sep 2008, 20:41
Aero68:

Here is some good straight advice. Your CV is good, and workable for a flying career. My advice is to get into flight instructing ASAP. There is a big need for instructors in the US. Over the next 2 years you can turn your 370TT into 12-1500 hours TT. Thats competitive to get into a small regional or charter outfit (King Airs-Pilatus PC -12 etc). With some turbine time under your belt, and if the airline industry gets stable, try your luck. This could be 5 years from now, so be patient.

You never know. Just network right now. At your age, you could get into a regional like American Eagle. Then if your lucky, you could become a Captain on a regional jet by the time your 50. Or if your really lucky, go mainline on a major. Your age makes your flying career for airlines much shorter. But atleast you'll be flying!

Ignore the cynical responses, keep hope alive. You have your FAA tickets and ratings. Your far better off than most wannabes in here!

Jay_solo