PDA

View Full Version : D.U.I charges

danny123
20th Sep 2008, 03:18
Five years ago i was caught drink driving, will this affect my chances with Jetstar, Virgin or Tiger? I have a current ASIC, and no other dramas.

redsnail
20th Sep 2008, 10:30
No, mates have old DUIs against them, they're captains now.

Atreyu
21st Sep 2008, 21:05
Shouldn't show up on a Basic Disclosure after 5 years. After 5 years any minor offence becomes spent as far as I'm aware.

Atreyu:ok:

YYZ
22nd Sep 2008, 09:34
Mines never shown up, so you should be fine?

YYZ

LM82
23rd Sep 2008, 02:11
gday chaps.

i also have a d.u.i. charge from 7 years ago however i was found guilty but there was no conviction recorded, which is a double edged sword as an asic applications asks for 'findings of guilt in the last 10 years' (i have an asic with no problems) however most airline applications ask for 'previous convictions in 3/5/10 years'.

anways all that is well and good what i am rreally asking is do you guys/girls think it is a good i idea to bring it up in the interview at all unless ask directly about it or just try and not mention it until you fill out an asic application for that company, i mean what if you get the old question 'whats the biggest mistake you have ever made?' which my dui would be the answer or am i better off choosing my second biggest mistake to talk about it until ask directly about any past guilt/convictions.

i realise you could be shooting yourself in the foot by bringing up something negative like that but i would think if you could turn that charge into a positive for you for e.g. i was very young when that happend and since i have a perfect driving record? surely the interviewer would appreciate the honesty and although big mistake if you can show how its changed you and what you learnt from it.

anybody had something similar that they have experienced?

p.s. sorry for the longwinded post :ok:

SparksFlyHigh
23rd Sep 2008, 08:10
It's hard to say with things like that. If you so much as mention dui the interviewer may tick the 'no further action box', shake your hand and say he'll be in touch. Very grey area.

The Nutts Mutts
23rd Sep 2008, 23:41
I'm not sure how the Aussie system works with regards to disclosing past convictions, but I'd say that it's better to put it out in the open on your terms, and then try and turn it into a positive with good examples of how you've learned from it and it's made you a better, more responsible person etc etc. I would imagine that you will look better doing that than not mentioning it, then having to disclose it later, or having your prospective employer finding out about it, and then suddenly finding yourself facing lots of searching questions about why you didn't tell them about the conviction, or indeed why you got it in the first place. Cue lots of backpedalling and quick thinking...

Be honest, and get it over with quickly.

whiskey1
24th Sep 2008, 02:01
Apply to have the conviction spent.
Once granted you can legaly say, "No I have never been convicted of an offence." In some countries it happens automatically, think in Australia Certainly in WA, you need to apply. Speak to a lawyer best $100 you could ever spend.

W1

LM82
24th Sep 2008, 04:57
The nutts mutts :

thanks for the info mate thats what i thought would be the best option. It was definetly an honest answer to 'whats your biggest mistake' so i think i will just put it out there and then they can make up their mind wether they appreciate the honesty or not. I think its actually the smartest and at the same time stupidest thing i have ever done as it was stupid at the time but the lessons i have learnt from it in the last 6 years are worth alot. I am just glad i didnt hurt anyone with my stupidity otherwise it would of been game over before it began.

whiskey1 : cheers. I never actually got a conviction recorded against my name as i hired a good lawyer for the court date so he got me off fairly lightly considering the stupid mistake i made. I was found guilty but as mentioned no conviction, ii have a mate with a conviction so ill pass your advice on to him.

fingers crossed that i am not hanging myself out to dry.:uhoh:

cheers guys