PDA

View Full Version : Percival Pembrokes

L1011GE
20th Sep 2008, 01:57
Strange request this one.

I export Mahogany aircraft models to the UK.

I am looking for plan drawings of a Pembroke, It don't matter what size.
Can anyone help?

If anyone is interested in Models 16" long on a stand in Squadron colors PM me

Tristars a specialty!!

But most aircraft can be done..... I cant put my website here last time the post was deleted.

Molesworth Hold
20th Sep 2008, 09:40
You may wish to try HPC Publishing Web Store United Kingdom - Aircraft Plans (http://www.hpcpublishing.com/acatalog/Store_Top_United_Kingdom___Aircraft_Plans_33.html)

L1011GE
20th Sep 2008, 13:36
thanks for that but they dont even give a sample view...not even postage stamp size.

Princeway
20th Sep 2008, 13:53
You could contact Crash & Smash (JARTS) at St Athan, I know they've got a load of historic AP's and such the like. If they haven't got it, I dare say that they'll put you in the right direction.

pigsinspace
20th Sep 2008, 16:09
I have 2 of andy's models and they are absolute quality and half the price of internet models.

stevef
20th Sep 2008, 17:21
Maybe. I'll check the tech library tomorrow.

Prangster
20th Sep 2008, 20:10
You could try the FAA museum as the navy used to fly them as Admirals barges. I recall one running into a JP3 in the late 1970's somehwhere near Leeming

k3k3
20th Sep 2008, 22:41
Wasn't the nose of the RN Sea Prince shorter than that of an RAF Pembroke?

Samuel
21st Sep 2008, 04:58
Ahhh...the Pembroke. RAF Eastleigh [Kenya] owned one in the late 1950s as Station Hack .It eventually went to Germany, and then was sold in the UK, but ended up in the US I think.

I was offered a seat in it often, even though I realised it was simply to have someone to turn the props through a full cycle [nine blades?], before start up. It was a peculiarity of the nine -cylinder Alvis Leonides engines I suspect, something to do with oily stuff. In the Twin Pioneers they carried a pole with a loop on it to do the same job!

stevef
21st Sep 2008, 06:16
That would be to check for an hydraulic lock in the lower cylinders. If you leave radial engines standing, oil can collect between the pistons and heads and if the engine is started, the con rods can bend. Solution was to remove the lower spark plugs and let the oil run out.

WHBM
21st Sep 2008, 08:32
someone to turn the props through a full cycle [nine blades?], before start up. It was a peculiarity of the nine -cylinder Alvis Leonides engines I suspect, something to do with oily stuff. In the Twin Pioneers they carried a pole with a loop on it to do the same job!
Standard procedure on all old large radial engined aircraft at startup to turn it slowly a "number of blades" (in this case a three-bladed prop so three complete revolutions) to check for lubricating oil accumulated in the lower cylinders which can jam the engine, as described above.

Nine blades and a 9-cylinder engine is a coincidence.

Senior Pilot
21st Sep 2008, 08:40
You could try the FAA museum as the navy used to fly them as Admirals barges. I recall one running into a JP3 in the late 1970's somewhere near Leeming

The Sea Prince was also the nav trainer for learner lookers (750 NAS), and generally used as station hacks. IIRC, the mid air was out of Church Fenton in March 1971: driver had a verse in the Sea Vixen song as a result!

Semi optional punishment for studes at Linton was to polish the Sea Prince: not a popular task, there was a lot of it to clean :sad:

zarniwoop
21st Sep 2008, 09:36
There is a group based at Bournmouth who operate a Pembroke who might be able to help or point you in the right direction, I can't remember their name off hand though.

k3k3 - I don't know about the nose, but the Pembroke does have longer wings than the Sea Prince

tail wheel
21st Sep 2008, 10:13
Heaps of Google references (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Percival+Pembroke&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).

Max takeoff weight: 13,489 lb (6,124 kg)
Crew: Two pilots
Capacity: 8 passengers

Eight passengers only in a six tonne aircraft??? All First Class?? :confused: :confused:

L1011GE
21st Sep 2008, 10:33
References but no drawings!! I have searched hours..

I was on 60 Sqn for 6 years and left when the Pemmies were moved out to grass. I actually have Pemmie Maintenance Manuals in Storage but thats 8000 miles away and no good to be.

Senior Pilot
21st Sep 2008, 10:40
Tail Wheel,

1950's standard, don't you know ;)

http://www.wreckhunters.be/images/RM1-Sean-Keating-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alexbigey/aeroscale4/DSCN9311.jpg

stevef
21st Sep 2008, 17:33
You're in luck, L1011GE - I've got the drawings you need (plus a three-quarter view frontispiece) from AP4384A Vol 1. I'll scan them and send them as an attachment.
Steve.

markstott
6th May 2013, 09:05
I now own Pembroke WV740 and Sea Prince WP321, the latter bought for spares but should be restorable in its own right. The Pembroke should fly shortly once her serviced props are back on and the Sea Prince should be restored in a year or two after the Gannet is complete.

I thinkIi have most of the documents and APs for both planes but if any one has surplus documents that need a good home then can they let me know. I am keen to develop a Pembroke/Prince archive or repository of information so that can keep both planes flying as long as possible.

Mark Stott

WH904
13th May 2013, 18:16
I wholeheartedly look forward to seeing both aircraft flying again. I hope very much that you'll re-apply the proper flourescent orange paint to the Sea Prince, rather than the awful gloss red that seems to be progressively applied to preserved Sea Princes. I know the flourescent orange fades easily and needs lots of attention but without it, a Sea Prince just looks absurd. Far better to wear faded, patch flourescent orange (as it did whilst in service) than dreadful gloss red that it never, ever wore!

markstott
24th Jul 2013, 23:08
WV740 should fly shortly as soon as we have her serviced propellers back from Portsmouth.

The Sea Prince is a year or two away but will be in authentic colours.

Mark Stott

cyflyer
25th Jul 2013, 15:56
WV740 is the Pembroke that was owned by Martin Willing over in Jersey I believe ? Flew on her, with Martin at the controls, back in 1994. Did a flight from Jersey over the Normandy beaches to celebrate the 50 years of the D Day landings. Lovely plane, Martin a wonderful chap. I do remember being so preoccupied with taking photos during the flight that events finally took their toll and the use of a certain paper bag was necessitated ! Glad to see she is still in the air, best of luck with her Mark. Now you'll have me scrambling to see if I can still find the photos lying about somewhere.

Rosevidney1
25th Jul 2013, 17:33
Tried to send L1011 a pm but he is not accepting them. :confused:

papabravowhiskey
25th Jul 2013, 18:05
He probably isn't accepting emails because:
1) the thread dates from 2008!
2) He was banned a LONG time ago! (last post 30th Sept 2008)

PBW

Rosevidney1
25th Jul 2013, 21:45
Both valid points! Thank you, :ok:PBW.