PDA

View Full Version : Question about CPL?

jmoody
19th Sep 2008, 22:45
G'day all.

I have a question for the almighty ppruners..

If one were to complete all of the CPL theory subjects but not the actual CPL flight test, will the passes eventually expire?

Just wondering because I am in a position where I have the opportunity to travel overseas for a while before I actually commit to flying and make a career out of it (still don’t know if I’m doing the right thing). I had hoped to have my entire CPL completed before I left but alas...

I thought I’d better investigate this as I would hate to return from a great holiday only to find I have to sit all of my exams again!!! :sad::{

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Jay

kingRB
19th Sep 2008, 23:13
as long as you achieve passes in all the subjects , no, they dont expire.

I've called CASA to ask them about it, as I am in this exact position.
About to finish my CPL but passed the theory quite a few years ago.

You will still need to be queried / passed on your KDR's (if you get any :p) at the time of the flight test.

Where I got caught out was the "grandfather" clause or something similar to that effect, where I passed 4 of 7 ATPL subjects, but because I didnt achieve a pass in all 7 within 3 years, I now have to do them all again :{

FRQ Charlie Bravo
20th Sep 2008, 01:40
Yup. Just get them all done and then travel. Be sure to keep a copy of your KDRs in a safe place as it costs about $20 each to get them replaced. When it comes time to do the CPL test just bone up on the theory and do some practice exams.

Bon voyage,

~FRQ CB

flog
20th Sep 2008, 02:07
I completed my CPL flight test this year on the back of the old style exam (only one long exam, not the 7 you have these days) which I sat back in 1998.

Had to do the KDRs during the test, but sitting pretty as a CPL now :-)

kingRB
20th Sep 2008, 02:26
I completed my CPL flight test this year on the back of the old style exam (only one long exam, not the 7 you have these days) which I sat back in 1998.

Had to do the KDRs during the test, but sitting pretty as a CPL now :-)

well yes it was 1 long day, but technically it was split into 3 parts if my memory serves :p

Congrats on passing the flight test :ok:

gadude
20th Sep 2008, 04:23
The only thing that expires, (if I am correct) is law.
that is if you don't fly commercial within 5 years after sitting your law exam, I stand to be corrected.
happy travels:ok:

DIAMOND
20th Sep 2008, 12:21
The information by the other respondants appears correct, however I wonder if they are answering the question you meant to put.
If you have not commenced your flight training and intend to do your theory first, then there are other serious considerations.
Go to the CASA website http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/download/vfrasfull.pdf and read pages 1-5 through 1-7. These discuss the 150 and 200 hour syllabus.
You will note that if you want to do the Approved 150 hour course, then your theory must be integrated. This means you can't do your theory now, then travel, then do your flight training on the 150 hour course. You will be stuck with the 200 minimum course or alternatively have to redo the commercial subjects.

Capt Fathom
20th Sep 2008, 12:37
How times have changed. Used to be a 5 year window.

I knew someone who passed all the CPL exams over a 5+ year period...however

(You could only sit the exams 3 or 4 times per year back then).

As the last exam was completed, it was discovered the first one had expired!

And so on it went.

It was only a pastime, and they eventually got it all together!