View Full Version : Have 2 years before i can apply... what do i do?

RyanG
19th Sep 2008, 21:06
Hey guys,

I have always wanted to be cabin crew since i was about 9. I'm now turning 19 and have 2 more years to go before i can apply. I finish school at the end of the year and have two years to do what ever i want... But what do you suggest to improve my chances of getting in with Emirates?

Do i study a degree in hospitality and then apply or do i work in the hospitality industry for 2 years, then apply and then study???

Thanks

Ryan

Dolley
19th Sep 2008, 21:42
There is some airlines that will consider you with 18 so it might be worth looking at other airlines than just Emirates.
As for improving your chances, work in customer services as much as you can, the higher the standard, the better.
Studying will certainly help you, not just for your personal development but as well as a fall-back if the Cabin Crew thing doesn't work out for you.

Good luck!

AirborneSoon
19th Sep 2008, 22:23
If it were me? I'd get a hospitality job, tuck some experience under my belt then go travelling on my working holiday visa entitlements picking up more hospitality jobs along the way. Not only will you enjoy yourself but it will look good on your resume as well. Plus once you start working as cabin crew your life will be somewhat fettered so enjoy the freedom while you've got it. :ok:

Trust me 2 years will pass in a flash, might as well get your foolish drinking sessions, backpacker experiences and list of things never to do again underway. :O

Dolley
20th Sep 2008, 10:50
....and here I was trying to give sensible advice lol

But AirborneSoon has a very good point....travelling is always the best thing you can do! Well, in my book anyway. And it shows future companies that you are independent and adaptable so not a bad move career-wise either. And you'll make lots of friends and you will have the time of your life :ok:

RyanG
20th Sep 2008, 11:09
Thanks so much for the advice!
I have been fortunate enought to have travelled to 23 countries so far with the family, but i understand where you are coming from and agree that it is an important thing to do!

I'm really still not sure what i am going to do with the 2 years, but i see that Etihad hires cabin crew who are 20? So do you think that might be an idea? Because i really want to be a cabin crew member for a few years. But when i get back home i want to study phychology and eventually open up my own practice...

irishbecky
20th Sep 2008, 12:47
Hi, Gulf Air and Qatar Airways recruit before 21....think you'll find Etihad and Emirates are both 21. Many other airlines recruit at 18. Customer service experience is key in this job, just to get through the interview stages you will need several examples drawn from your experience in a c/s role. Good luck