PDA

View Full Version : Sub-notebook / Laptop

xyz
24th Dec 1999, 13:01
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good sub-notebook (or similar) that satisfy the following conditions?

As light as possible
As small as possible
Capable of running full Windows 98/NT
Built-in modem
Good screen (colour)

Also desirable characteristics:
Long battery life
Inexpensive

Also, is Singapore still cheaper in terms of electronic gadget prices??

Thanks for your help!

blackadder
25th Dec 1999, 01:59
The Acer 340 is worth a look.
see http://www.acer.com.sg/singapore/p_travelmate340.html

Try walking around with 2.25 litres of bottled water in a briefcase for 30 mins to see if you like it. :)
This new model not released in Eu yet.

xyz
25th Dec 1999, 03:40
Thanks blackadder!

I bet it's lighter than my current notebook (which does not even have a built in modem, and its IR port does not work!)

spannersatcx
25th Dec 1999, 21:22
Check out http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk for reviews and views.

Tinstaafl
26th Dec 1999, 23:31
They're a bit old now, & only available second hand, but what about a Toshiba Libretto?

I've only seen one once or twice but was quite impressed with them. They have a VGA width screen but only about half or a third in height size/resolution. Pentium 100 or possibly 133, around a 1 gig HD but that could be upgraded if desired, a PC Card slot & standard ports. They're a standard PC spec - not a Win CE thing.

I wouldn't mind one to complement my PII notebook!

foxmoth
29th Dec 1999, 00:03
I have one of the Toshiba Librettos with a p133 and a 1.6G hard drive. The 'a' drive is supplied with the machine, but is on a pcmcia card, as is the modem and cdrom drive (both bought as an extra). It is nice and light - 800g for the machine itself, and of a size that will fit nicely into your nav bag without taking up all the space. I believe you can still buy them in Hong Kong if you end up out that way, probably for about £600, which is what I paid in the UK.
around a year ago.
The other computer to consider of course is the Sony Vaio, but you need a little more brass, at around £1600, but it is again a proper windows machine.