PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways Interview

acy RJ driver
19th Sep 2008, 16:58
Hello to all:

I have an interview with Jet coming up on the 29th for the ATR. looking for any info on the interview and sim evaluation, :
-What to study ?
-sim profiles?
ETC.....

also looking for salary and package information (tax exemptions ????) , I am applying as a line Captain. any feedback on life in India for a US citizen would aslo be appreciated. lastest rumor is that the company is offering A330 types to ATR capt's who complete a 3 year contract, any truth to this?

Cheers and happy landings

ACY :D

aq737pdx
19th Sep 2008, 20:52
Last month a pilot who was screening for 737NG, but also current in the ATR, was offered a 777 type rating at the end of his 3 year contract if he would take an ATR Captain slot.
I think he said the pay would be USD 8500/ month net. Jet Airways pays the India tax, you pay US tax.
8 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

rspilot
20th Sep 2008, 07:07
Indian taxes are higher than US taxes...tax treaty between US and India so there will be no US taxes. This is how it was explained to me.

Boomerang1
20th Sep 2008, 17:05
I just returned from the B737NG screening. There was no interview only a 20 minute sim check. They were looking at procedures, briefing, and hand flying ability. Visual traffic pattern with an engine failure on T.O. with a landing. No use of the autopilot and flight director turned off for landing. No backup use of the ILS for landing.Of course all this was in 737 your experience may be different. I didn't see an ATR sim in their facility so maybe they use a different sim at another location.

acy RJ driver
20th Sep 2008, 17:24
thnx for the feedback, sim is at CAE in Brussels. Any idea how long before the company advises on there decision to hire?

MYROSTERSUCKS
20th Sep 2008, 17:28
Jet doesn't have a Sim for the ATR's so recurrent training is done in Bangkok....real short on ATR capt at the moment so will definitely offer a good deal, however I wouldn't advise anyone to join based on an upgrade to a diff type at the end of the contract.....#1. DGCA doesnt want too may expats flying in India after 2010.
#2. Whole bunch of line capt on the 737 fleet are ready for transition to wide bodies...
On the whole it would be a good airline to work for.:ok:

TidaBisa
21st Sep 2008, 03:25
The first 85,400 USD is considered tax free if you meet the requirements set forth by the IRS. These mainly are:

1. You have to be out of the US for 330 days out of 365 or

2. You have to be a bonafide resident overseas for a period encompassing an entire tax year (Jan-Dec).

Even if you cannot use the foreign income exclusion if your outfit pays Indian taxes you will have zero liability as you will be given credit for the foreign tax paid (33% in India). So when you crunch the numbers you will find that on an income of $100,000 USD you will have paid $33,000 in taxes, which is much more than you would pay in the US anyway. The airline will give you a form 16 which shows your gross pay and taxes paid.
If you made $10,000 in a month, your gross will show as 13,300 with taxes paid as $3,300. There are some outfits like AirIndia Express (NetxGen Recruiters) who DO NOT pay Indian taxes. In that case they will send you a 1099 and you will have to pay full US taxes. Make sure you deduct money accordingly or else you will be in for a shocker at the end of the year!

As an added note, the 330 days can start at anytime during the year. For example lets say you start a contract in India in November 2008. You can start your 365 day period from November 2008-November 2009. During that period you have to be out of the US for 330 days. You file for an extention in 2009 for taxes, to file in November 2009, which is when you will meet the the 330 requirement. Your income reported will still only be for what you earned in 2008. If you find it to be a bit complicated, find a CPA who handles foreign tax payers. Most programs like Turbotax can deal with simple tax stuff as well.

TidaBisa
21st Sep 2008, 03:37
I agree with the posts regarding the promise of a type rating. First off get it in writing. Even if you do, if the outfit decides to reneg on it you have very little recourse. Don't go to 9W or any other place just b/c of that.

Boomerang1
21st Sep 2008, 04:21
In the 737 program the instructor doing the sim screening informs you if you pass immediately. You will get a contract offer from the company within a week. It then takes about 2 months to get the DGCA approval for your employment and then a work visa. So figure about 60-90 days after the screening before you start on the payroll.

acy RJ driver
21st Sep 2008, 13:20
I really appreciate all of the positive feedback from everyone, hope to see you all on the line.
:D